daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #681
intervention
planning inaction

I drew one up for Toronto and the GTA a while ago..... transit buffs don't kill me please

intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #682
metro-world

Likes (Received): 32

Mannheim plannings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
Proposed Subway for Mannheim, Germany:

Color code:
- dark red : tunnel
- yellow : viaduct/dam
- green : surface
- orange : open cut

All routes were meter-gauge, and supposed to use high-floor cars. Service was to be likely every 10 minutes out to the suburbs, on some routes more frequent. The network was supposed to be intervowen with the similar planned subway network of Ludwigshafen, including cross-city lines. Two extensions in the northeast and east to neighboring cities were planned based on existing light rail lines. Mannheim and Ludwigshafen together have half a million residents.

They actually got started on building this in the 50s and 60s, with the network envisioned finished by 2000. By 1970, they got rid of this plan, with only part of that ring tunnel in the inner city, a number of the surface routes and parts of the viaducts (built in the 50s) finished in Mannheim. The finished routes instead serve as part of the tram network, severely speeding up service especially out to the suburbs.
hi
from where comes your informations??
there were noting started in the 50th, except perhaps some road separations.
main plannings and some buildings were done during the 60th. It is also wrong, tha by 1970 the city "got rid of this plan" because a final study (shich I have) dates of 1973! There were build a lot of undergourd predistian passes under large street crossings - some of them could later used for the subway. But recenty some of them was closed and filled!
The plannings for Tunnel constructions were more or less actual til the early 80th when they were short before starting to build a section of the southwest line.
metro-world no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #683
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree View Post
I just finished another map and I'm quite satisfied with it

Click for full version
What city is this in what country?

Can all of you guys say what the city is when you post maps? It's often confusing unless you're actually from that country/region. Also saves newbies having to read the last 10 pages of discussion
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #684
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

I knew this thread had to exist LOL!

I've been creating a bus and monorail system for a ficitional city for several years now. I have a map of my bus system and am still working on the monorail system. The neat thing about my monorail is that parts of it run underground, which I don't think in real life that this is even possible lol.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #685
HARTride 2012

I also made a couple maps for my envisioning of light rail/regional rail in Tampa, FL, US. Below is one of them. This is the full system.

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #686
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
What city is this in what country?

Can all of you guys say what the city is when you post maps? It's often confusing unless you're actually from that country/region. Also saves newbies having to read the last 10 pages of discussion
Oh it's a fictional city. Mandalay is a region I made in SimCity 4
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #687
HARTride 2012

This is the monorail map for my fantasy cities, Severnaya, Lemon, and Victoria Islands. It made this region on Sim City 4 but later lost it to viruses on my PC.

Parts of the I-Line and K-Line run underground.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #688
mikey1984

Likes (Received): 1

Not a subway map but the bottom half of a fantasy island. Bit of a WIP. The large city of Goldburg has various transits systems but these are only on paper at the momnet, let me know what you think
mikey1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #689
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro-world View Post
hi
from where comes your informations??
there were noting started in the 50th, except perhaps some road separations.
main plannings and some buildings were done during the 60th.
The above is based on the 1967 track plans for the network.

In the 1950s, several lines were already built to similar standard (e.g. rebuilding the line out to Rheinau in 1953). Starting around 1958, most pre-existing tram lines had a large share of their trackage separated from road traffic.
The U-Bahn plans drafted a few years later essentially took these as their starting points, and would have used a number of pre-existing separated tracks such as the route between Neckarau Bf and Rheinau Nord, or the passageway through the Vogelstang settlement built in 1964.

In effect almost everything on that map that is green-colored (surface tracks) was built or rebuilt in the 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro-world View Post
It is also wrong, tha by 1970 the city "got rid of this plan" because a final study (shich I have) dates of 1973!
The U-Bahn plans were indefinitely postponed in 1973 due to the oil crisis, and cancelled by the late 70s (iirc 1978). The entire project was already considered dead when Mannheim hosted the Bundesgartenschau in 1975.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM   #690
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

Berlin, Germany

I started making this map because i though the design of the current official one isn't much for the eye. Ofcourse i couldn't stop myself in improving the system aswell.

Last edited by Schliemann; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: text missing
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM   #691
Vallex

Likes (Received): 0

Cool Map, Schliemann! Which sofware did you use?
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:00 AM   #692
Schliemann

I used Adobe Illustrator
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #693
Upminster
Bahn 3.85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schliemann View Post
I used Adobe Illustrator
I like your map. I have been building a railway simulation using Bahn 3.85 software but I also need to draw line diagrams for maybe 40 or so component networks ( i.e., a collection of railway lines within a larger network ). I have started using PowerPoint, and it looks like it may do most of what I need to do, but I am wondering if I should invest in something more serious like Adobe Illustrator. I can afford to buy it if it would be worth my while regarding features that I might need beyond PowerPoint and if it is not too hard to learn. Any advice ??

r, peter

Now living in North Carolina, USA
Upminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #694
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I believe there is a free program called inkscape. I've never used it so can't comment on its usefulness, but it is a vector graphics editor. I've heard it mentioned on other forums a few times. I use illustrator and once you've played around and read a few articles, it's quite simple. Perhaps there is a free trail you could use before you obtain it in some form.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #695
Upminster
Bahn 3.85

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
I believe there is a free program called inkscape. I've never used it so can't comment on its usefulness, but it is a vector graphics editor. I've heard it mentioned on other forums a few times. I use illustrator and once you've played around and read a few articles, it's quite simple. Perhaps there is a free trail you could use before you obtain it in some form.
Thanks. I'll check out Inkscape and see if there is a trial version of Illustrator available. Over the years and before I retired I bought a bunch of software including Corel Draw 3.0 and Harvard Graphics ( and Macromedia Graphics Suite ? ), but never got around to using them and now that I really have a use for them they ( these older versions ) won't work under Windows XP. I really like the quality of some of the maps shown here !! and would like to emulate them for my own networks.

Now living in North Carolina, USA
Upminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #696
davidaiow

I look forward to seeing some of your work!
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #697
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6460

Not sure if this has been posted here already, but it's the best map for Melbourne, ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planks & Sticks View Post
Since everyone is putting their fantasy map onto SSC (is it this time of the year already?), I might dump my updated fantasy map.

(I am aware that it is missing a few stations that were originally pointed out by Yardmaster, but was a little bit difficult to modify the whole diagram to reflect it)

As one person said, it is only a fantasy map. So I decided to do a full on fantasy map.

Thin Lines: 'Metro Melbourne' running every 3 minutes
Thick Lines: 'RRL' running at most 7 minutes unless stated
Grey Lines: High Speed Rail
Dotted Red Lines: High Frequency limited stop Bus or Tram services.

(Why stop at Yarra Glen, let's go to Mansfield and then to Albury! )

This is a fantasy where Melbourne actually has extremely dense satellite cities with their own economics and industry
(as opposed to satellite/fringe suburbs relying on Melbourne for everything).
Remember, this is a work of fiction.

(and I think I had way too much time on my hand, got to go back to looking for a job )
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #698
davidaiow

That really is an extremely impressive map! I envy their talent!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #699
Schliemann

There seems to be a trial, but I don't know if all features are included or how long the trial period is.
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...strator&loc=en
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM   #700
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

This map is quite famous in the Australian subforums.

From www.johomaps.com