daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM   #741
James_T_Menendez
BАNNЕD

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Where is it available? Only in Spain? Maybe somewhere online?
http://www.edicioneslalibreria.es/ti...id_product=521

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #742
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

The word "crazy" does not exit for the Madrid Metro. What else does this book include?
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #743
Edu_00
Always learning

Likes (Received): 19

The book tells the story of the metro in Madrid, from projects that never saw the light, prior to the one finally held, through the initial ups and downs of the company, the first opening and the successive enlargements, up to the date on the subway met its first 90 years, last October 17, 2009.

It is illustrated with lots of photos, newspaper clippings, drawings, sketches, maps, brochures, posters and tickets from all times.

The structure of the book is to divide the 90 years of history into periods of five years. Each period is described in four pages, the latest of which is the subway map at the end of it. There is also a table with the open and closed stations and those that changed its name or line during the period.

I think it is a great book, the first one for sale in Spain about Madrid metro. So, it is written in Spanish.

This is the book cover:

Edu_00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #744
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastiK View Post
By the look of things, in this book you can find on last pages a big map with the next metro projects for Madrid (This book will be on sale from this week).

It sounds crazy!

Most, if not all, of these plans have been introduced in the past already. The only new line that I can distinguish is the tangential one in the south-east. Unfortunately, the print's too small to read so I can't really make up whether it's supposed to be a heavy metro, light rail of suburban rail line.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #745
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

A transversal line on the new estates in the SE of Madrid is on my pipedream for the only metro I have ridden.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #746
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Do you guys think that this line's gonna be successful? Those areas are not so populated.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #747
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 163

In that map, all the extensions are full metro (conventional metro). But as I can read in that book, they are projects already drawn up or official promises waiting to be built.

Anyway, right now Madrid will be open soon around 12-15 new km (the stretch not plucked in the map). ;-)
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #748
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

Here are two proposed plans for a Metro in Gothenburg, Sweden. For more info got to Tunnelbanan som försvann (Swedish)

Plan from 1934

Plan from 1967
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #749
Edu_00
Always learning

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Where is it available? Only in Spain? Maybe somewhere online?
From today, this book is available online with international shipping: http://libros.fnac.es/a400972/Varios...To=0&Nu=2&Fr=0
Edu_00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #750
mikey1984

Likes (Received): 1

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by mikey1984; January 19th, 2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: spelling error
mikey1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #751
mikey1984

Some information about the Goldburg City Subway. Golburg is a city with a population of around probably 3 million. It also has an elevated tramway built in the 1920's, cbale cars like the ones in San Fran and a single tramline.
Subway trains are some where between LU and glasgow subway in size, just wide enough for some trains to have 2+1 transverse seating.
Part 1 the Red Yellow and Orange lines
The first line to be built was the city cirlcle (red line) in 1932. It has bored tunnels though these follow street patterns and run, close to the surface. Thefore it has sharp corners. Stations are also short allowing trains of only 5 short carriages to run, one of the busiest lines it sufers from overcrowding at peak times. The Yellow line known as the K & E opened in 1937 using some sections converted from mainline rail. Therefore several staions have a mainline apperance. The limited to service to Millers marsh runs over mainline tracks (from Kershaw onwards), as the Subway is narrow gauge the line here is dual gauge. The orange line opened in 1934 and was converted from the Dockers Tramway- which was in pratice cross between a tramway and a subway, and is still known by that name. It runs in two seperate sections, but originaly also ran between Northbank and Central terminus. Service on this section was terminated due to capacity issues. It is a single track line with passing places. It is due to be upgraded/ replaced in the future.
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #752
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Is it "Golburg" or "Goldburg"?

Can't really tell from your map, either, since it uses both names...

I don't think the sharp corner / bored tunnel combination would work in reality. Bored tunnels don't really tend to make sharp corners, as the TBM's that are used to construct them are usually too bulky for it.
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #753
mikey1984

Woops it's Goldburg- should have spell checked, sack the printers! I thought the central line on the lu had some sharp bends? If not i suppose it will have to be cut and cover.

Last edited by mikey1984; January 19th, 2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #754
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5777

I think Goldburg must be somewhere near Memphis, TN, perhaps in the US state of Mississippi. I'm basing that off the Graceland stations that appear in the north of the city, and Mississippi is immediately to the south of Memphis. If so, the G.C.S. is just one of a few interstate subways in the US (PATH, PATCO and St Louis Metrolink are the others that come to mind).

With a population of 3 million, Goldburg is actually about the same population as all of Mississippi, so maybe I'm mistaken as to its location. Someone correct me on this, as I'm a bit confused.

I am quite angry and perplexed as to why Millers Marsh can't get regular service on the subway like the rest of the system. This is an outrage. Also, are there any plans to connect Redwood and Redwood North? Or are there any obstacles in the way? It seems these two neighborhoods should have some service between them instead of having people rely on buses or having to go around and change trains downtown.

I also don't like how they decided to spell Esplanade in Goldburg.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #755
mikey1984

No its on an island somewhere with a name i've yet to come up with. In Reality the two Redwood stations are fairly close to each other, prob. a five minute walk, not seen as justifable money wise to connect them, and other plans expansions and improvements take priority. Some of the spelling is poor and a new printers will probably have to be found. Most service between Kershaw and Millers Marsh is overground commuter trains and there isn't the capacity to add more subway trains.
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #756
mikey1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Not a subway map but the bottom half of a fantasy island. Bit of a WIP. The large city of Goldburg has various transits systems but these are only on paper at the momnet, let me know what you think
This map shows the location of Goldburg (bottom left)
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #757
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Golberg.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM   #758
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Baghdad:

image hosted on flickr

Baghdad Subway by Trowbridge Estate, on Flickr
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:51 AM   #759
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Hey everyone! I have been reading this thread for a long time but have never posted. I must say, I am just so so impressed with everyones work! Its incredible the things you all do.

I have a couple questions...

I am really really interested in doing a map like this for the city in which I live, but when I have tried to do it myself, I got very overwhelmed quickly!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the first step in doing something like this should even be? I have laid out light rail lines in google earth already, but haven't drawn a map for them. I am really itching to start on the underground metro, but thats where i get totally lost. Besides me having some ideas where I would want stations, I dont really have a clue as to beyond that.

I understand this isn't a help thread, so if a few of you would be so kind to PM me with suggestions, tips or questions about what I'm thinking, I would be very appreciative!

Nick

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #760
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioffer View Post
And as it might be in 2100

Russians may have very good eyesight, but how can you expect any foreigners to read this?