daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #801
Antje
Public Transport Fan

And now here is a draft for an insanely massive Athens Metro complete with an artificial island airport:

Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #802
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

amazing map!!! Well done!!! Judging by the lines you drew, it seems that you know Athens well. Do you? And also, do you have a bigger version of this map? I'd love to see one!!!
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #803
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Here's a fantasy map I made for Skopje. I have no idea how the city looks like and I've never been there but I gave it a try. At least, I hope the names are correct :P
So, here it is:

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #804
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
amazing map!!! Well done!!! Judging by the lines you drew, it seems that you know Athens well. Do you? And also, do you have a bigger version of this map? I'd love to see one!!!
It's currently in KML format but I'm trying to create one in AI (Illustrator). It is derived from the most recent Regulatory plan but using the London Underground standards (in fact G1 is the District, G2 is the Central and G3 is the Piccadilly). But the 8-line plan was cut due back to 4 to Austerity. At the moment they certainly don't have the money to build that many lines!

Mine is of 15 lines but that may also be cut, not because of Austerity, but because of the way lines are grouped in London.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #805
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I adore the curves of your one Ovem. A really nice take on a metro map.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #806
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Here's a fantasy map I made for Skopje. I have no idea how the city looks like and I've never been there but I gave it a try. At least, I hope the names are correct :P
So, here it is:

Name's are correct but the lines are not. The red line on the down left corridor.

Now taking apart that the city is around 700k with a north ring road of 30km its a city which has a solid network infrastructure which was planned after the devastating earthquake back in 1963. There are plans undergoing even for a light metro and a tunnel under the main square that should join two main boulevards in the west-east corridor.
This is a map where:
Red and yellow lines are that one which are probably needed and the blue one is already constructed railway which rings the city but its used by a national railway company and if its upgraded can be put in service as a light underground rail line.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #807
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
So, here it is:

That is a neat map. This is the type of map I want to make for my fantasy subway and monorail systems. But MS Paint on Windows 7 is not good for me to make such maps, as the interface is totally different compared to what I'm used to with MS Paint on Windows XP.

If anyone knows of a good (but free) graphics program that I can utilize for this purpose, I would greatly appreciate it.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #808
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
If anyone knows of a good (but free) graphics program that I can utilize for this purpose, I would greatly appreciate it.
Yes, Inkscape (free) or Illustrator (pricey)
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM   #809
Hippopotamus

Likes (Received): 0

I made this little fantasy map, and I was wondering.. Could someone please make it look less paint-ish? Like make the center less crowded. I can add the names later.
Thanks in advance!
Hippopotamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #810
Curz
que conoce muchos idiomas

Likes (Received): 1356

Fantasy map of NYC Manhattan surface lines

No existe ningún ser supremo. Cuando te mueres, te mueres y ya, listo, se acabó.
Curz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #811
Brapple11

My metro for my city Segol
Brapple11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #812
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Ah, nice to see the fantasy network maps thread has been revived

I believe I posted some maps of my fantasy city of Maysoo over here before, but let's do that again, this time with some more detailed maps. Click on all images for embiggifications:

This map shows the current metro network, with dashed lines showing lines under construction or planned. The thick, mocca colored dashed line represents a belt-like line connecting secondary city centers and important railway/metro junctions with each other. Refer to the scale to get an idea of the size of the city:

This map shows the way the lines have been constructed (legend in Dutch, the entries are translated into "in tunnel", "in open cut", "above ground on own ROW", "above ground following existing street pattern" and "bridge crossing", respectively):

This map shows the various construction stages. Maysoo is a fantasy city in a larger fantasy realm with its own calendar. "Currently", we're living in the year 10481. On this map, the pink section is the oldest, constructed between 10299 and 10318; the blue section was constructed during the era of major expansion between 10318 and 10348; the orange section between 10378 and 10400 and the dark green section between 10400 and 10415. The light green section shows segments that have been constructed since metro construction was picked up again in the 10460's:

This map shows a 100-year old plan for metro expansion which was never built to its fullest extent. It was mainly intended as an exercise for me to explore alternative routings for the metro system (so actually it's a fantasy interpretation of a fantasy network...):

Last but not least, a more detailed close-up showing the southern part of the central island of the city. Most lines have been built as four-track trunk lines, much like the NYC Subway. Each line on this map represents a two-track structure:

This is a diagrammatic map of the above section (screenshot from a larger map I'm still working on):

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #813
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

What can I say but 'Wow'. An astonishing effort and one which must be applauded. Thanks for sharing!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #814
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Thanks!

Designing such a fantasy system is a (slow) process that can take years to complete- if it ever gets completed.

Designing an overall network layout is actually the easiest thing to do. The current network layout has not changed much since 2003 or so.

It's the details and fine tuning that have required most of my time. These can be divided into a number of categories:
  • Track layout (which, in turn, can affect the overall network layout);
  • Line routes and schedules;
  • Construction methods;
  • Station architecture;
  • Signage systems (maps, station signs, corporate branding etc);
  • Construction and network history;
  • Rolling stock;
  • Connections to other systems (railways, trams, buses etc);
  • Etcetera and so on...

Problem is: most of these things still only exist in my mind I've made quite a number of detailed track maps of complex system junctions, but that's still far from a complete track map of the entire network.

Oh well...at least I've got something that will keep me busy for the next few years
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #815
Brapple11

what programme did you use to create the diagrammatic map
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #816
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Illustrator. But I still use MS Paint, too. Quick and easy
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #817
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Thanks!

Designing such a fantasy system is a (slow) process that can take years to complete- if it ever gets completed.

Designing an overall network layout is actually the easiest thing to do. The current network layout has not changed much since 2003 or so.

It's the details and fine tuning that have required most of my time. These can be divided into a number of categories:
  • Track layout (which, in turn, can affect the overall network layout);
  • Line routes and schedules;
  • Construction methods;
  • Station architecture;
  • Signage systems (maps, station signs, corporate branding etc);
  • Construction and network history;
  • Rolling stock;
  • Connections to other systems (railways, trams, buses etc);
  • Etcetera and so on...

Problem is: most of these things still only exist in my mind I've made quite a number of detailed track maps of complex system junctions, but that's still far from a complete track map of the entire network.

Oh well...at least I've got something that will keep me busy for the next few years
I am still working on my own maps. I have a couple fantasy metro areas that I'm working on. Mostly based on Mario Bros lol. I have the Yoshi Islands Subway & Monorail system, most of which are still in my mind, not quite on paper yet. My second system is Mushroom Kingdom Commons which is more developed than the Yoshi Islands system, but it is still taking a lot of time to create.

Before my computer crashed, I had about 30 bus schedules made on MS Excel for my fantasy bus system and even a map in the works. Now I must start over, consuming more time than ever. When I have my system maps done, I will post them here.

What I do have done in the meantime are the following:

Subway
Both of my subway systems use a combination of steel-wheel & rubber-tyred rolling stock, most are based off the Paris Metro.
(only listing "current" stock)
*MR 71 - Steel wheeled stock based off the MF 67 of the Paris Metro.
*MP 76 - Rubber tyred stock based off the MP 73 of the Paris Metro.
*MR 87 - Steel wheeled stock based off the MF 77 of the Paris Metro.
*MP 95 - Rubber tyred stock based off the MP 89 of the Paris Metro.
*MR 04 - Steel wheeled stock, a fusion between the R160A of the New York City Subway & the MF 01 of the Paris Metro.
*MP 05 - Rubber tyred automated stock based off the MP 05 of the Paris Metro.

The Mushroom Kingdom System
*Opened in 1897
*Has 13 lines (with 2 more lines under construction)
*Many stations are based off the Paris Metro, with 1 full line (Line 3) and several sporadic stations containing Washington DC Metro architecture. Many newer stations have architecture and layout similar to the Santiago Metro
*One line is almost entirely above ground (Line 10)
*Three lines contain rubber-tyred stock (Lines 1, 10, 12). Line 3 is also equipped for rubber-tyred operation, but uses steel wheeled stock in the meantime.

*Line 1 was built with only 2 tracks and is thus severely overcrowded. A commuter rail line was built in 1987 to relieve overcrowding on the subway.
*All other subway lines have 4 tracks to facilitate express service, similar to the New York City Subway.
*Lines 1, 2, 6, and 10 run 24-hour service. Hours vary for the other lines.

The Yoshi City System
*Opened in 1973
*Has 5 lines (with 2 more lines under construction)
*Stations are based off the Santiago Metro.
*All lines are underground in the urban core, but four of the lines go above ground in the suburbs.
*One line (Line A) is steel wheeled. The other four lines are rubber-tyred.

*All subway lines have 4 tracks to facilitate express service, similar to the New York City Subway.
*Lines A and E run 24-hour service. Lines B, C, D run from 3:50am til 2am on weekdays and 4:50am til 1am on Sat/Sun.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; August 1st, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #818
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Someone asked for make a map less Paint-ish... I repost the map of the Marathon metro (Finally Marató got a exonym!), which almost nobody would say it was made in MS Paint.

Current Marathon metro. Notice that one station has changed its name because they opened a new station with its former name. They have updated the plans, too.

And here's a metro for my hometown (53000 inhabitants) and its surrounding towns:
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #819
Brapple11

The Metro Map for my fictional city of Greenborough, in my fictional country of Dansey. The Brown line is the Zoo line, The Yellow is Easter Line, The Green Line is the Port Line, The Red is the Kimming Line, The Pink is the Airport Line. The Grey is a shuttle service.

Last edited by Brapple11; July 27th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #820
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3153

But if I have a house in Dock 1 and work in the Elm Bank TV studios, I don't want to go via Kellog House St - that is a very dodgy area.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote