daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1001
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

What if Singapore had trams???
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1002
Curz
que conoce muchos idiomas

Likes (Received): 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
^Great looking map visually and it's a great concept for a system with plenty of transfer opportunities and good coverage while still being easy to build in phases. I'm wondering tho - where's the amtrack station, or at least inter-city bus station? possible future HSR station?
Oh, that's a nice idea - I will later add the railwayline and Amtrak stations - it's located on the right side of the Downtown area, at Main Street.
No existe ningún ser supremo. Cuando te mueres, te mueres y ya, listo, se acabó.
Curz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1003
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3 View Post
Made a few changes to the map I posted in the last page.

image hosted on flickr

Fantasy BART Map 4.1 by TJPrz, on Flickr
That is a really great map, well done! Any chance you made a companion map that shows the actual geographic routes (showing which streets your lines go under for example?).
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM   #1004
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

It would help if either the brown or magenta lines which cross the south end of the Bay went into SFO as the connecting track does exist coming from the south. It'd eliminate the need for those coming from the south to have to backtrack to get into SFO from the San Bruno station.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1005
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3

I really hope that your network map will come true, especially if Amtrak, BART, Caltrain, and SMART can invest much more to build more rail lines in the region, translating to increasing ridership and booming communities. But then again, I think careful planning may be needed to make it happen full-time.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1006
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
That is a really great map, well done! Any chance you made a companion map that shows the actual geographic routes (showing which streets your lines go under for example?).
Unfortunately I haven't made one for this map. It sounds like a good idea so I'll start working on one when I get some free time.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1007
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
It would help if either the brown or magenta lines which cross the south end of the Bay went into SFO as the connecting track does exist coming from the south. It'd eliminate the need for those coming from the south to have to backtrack to get into SFO from the San Bruno station.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll change it on my next revision.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1008
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I really hope that your network map will come true, especially if Amtrak, BART, Caltrain, and SMART can invest much more to build more rail lines in the region, translating to increasing ridership and booming communities. But then again, I think careful planning may be needed to make it happen full-time.
I don't think my map will ever come true, if it does it wont be in my life time.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1009
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think my map will ever come true, if it does it wont be in my life time.
Same, but I really hope that BART really took initiative of building it in Marin County anyway. But the county's slow growth is beneficial though because it allows limited development to areas where it's truly needed while keeping the rest of the county green and verdant, which I really like.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1010
Curz
que conoce muchos idiomas

Likes (Received): 1356

No existe ningún ser supremo. Cuando te mueres, te mueres y ya, listo, se acabó.

CNB30 liked this post
Curz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1011
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
I'll add more to it later, but this is it so far. Making this map made me realize how crazy far some of my lines go.

image hosted on flickr

Fantasy BART Map 4.1.1 by TJPrz, on Flickr
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1012
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Just looked up Richmond's Amtrak station. Sad. Very sad. Should be possible to get some of its old glory back tho, enough space for 4 tracks at the station, and space for a intercity buss station between it and I-95. Looks to me like 3 out of the 5 lines you're "planning" would get stops real close (less than 250 ft) from said station. I like it.
/just a few of-the-top-of-my-head ideas there.
//add some retail to it, a hotel tower and an office tower (or three) above the stations
and you'd get awesomeness.
///ooo, add a line to the airport too. Airports are on the list of things to connect early on fo' sho.
////Downtown, Universities/Colleges, Airport, Entertainment district, InterCity Rail Station, InterCity Bus station, densest neighborhood. Get those connected on a couple of lines and bob's your uncle.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Last edited by Swede; October 25th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1013
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

A very interesting fantasy map indeed, 612bv3. One other thing you might want to attempt is to try a different approach of color coding your lines: instead of giving each line its own color, use trunk color coding. This way, you can combine lines that run together on the main trunks. This will give you and your future riders a better understanding of the underlying structure of the network; i.e. it will become easier to figure out which lines run to SF via which route.
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1014
thesmartboy

Curz-Please put the stations on the streetcar map.(not only the terminii)
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:16 AM   #1015
thesmartboy

Nice map 612bv3!That map told me to make a fantasy BART map.My map was inspired by your map and other fantasy maps.I'm still making the map but i'll make updates.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1016
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Wow!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM   #1017
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmartboy View Post
Nice map 612bv3!That map told me to make a fantasy BART map.My map was inspired by your map and other fantasy maps.I'm still making the map but i'll make updates.
Can't wait to see it. I was also inspired by other fantasy maps that I've seen online. Hope you enjoy making your map as much as I enjoy making mine.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1018
612bv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
A very interesting fantasy map indeed, 612bv3. One other thing you might want to attempt is to try a different approach of color coding your lines: instead of giving each line its own color, use trunk color coding. This way, you can combine lines that run together on the main trunks. This will give you and your future riders a better understanding of the underlying structure of the network; i.e. it will become easier to figure out which lines run to SF via which route.
Sounds really interesting but I don't know what trunk color coding is. Do you have any examples?

Last edited by 612bv3; November 2nd, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1019
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Trunk color coding: like a unified color for portion/s of train lines where multiple services exist. For example, between Daly City and West Oakland, you can have a staggered color of, say, grey, while the rest have their respective colors. But I don't think BART needs a trunk color coding because many lines duplicate each other on the weekdays; weekends and holidays is a different story, though.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1020
thesmartboy

Quote:
Can't wait to see it. I was also inspired by other fantasy maps that I've seen online. Hope you enjoy making your map as much as I enjoy making mine.
I enjoy it.
Use this map.I know it's a lot like yours.It's not mine.
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/...iagramatic.jpg

Last edited by thesmartboy; November 3rd, 2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Changed the picture to direct link to see it-it didn't happen