daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1061
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Here is the insane NYC subway map. It was made by Duke87. Big image.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1062
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

1.CNGL:So crazy!Middlesex County?!?!?!Why is there a line called Omega?What kind of guy uses symbols for subway lines?If I'd meet that guy,I'd ask,"Can you slap me?"!Anyways,my Manila MRT map extends to 4 Vietnamese cities namely(north to south),Hue,Da Nang,Quy Nhon and Nha Trang.End of the world?!?!?!
2.Alargule:I can only see the Cleveland map from my browser.Any links?
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1063
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmartboy View Post
2.Alargule:I can only see the Cleveland map from my browser.Any links?
Those other cities don't exist anymore, silly - only Cleveland miraculously survived the apocalypse somehow...

@ CNGL: you know your fantasy map has gone too far if you have to use Greek letters...
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1064
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Map is not mine. I have found it in another forum, and Duke87 (his author) exhausted both the Latin and the Greek alphabets (Well, except for Φ (phi) line, which doesn't exist).

@ thesmartboy: There is actually a Middlesex County. What I don't know is how they came up with that name .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1065
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Perhaps Middlesex County was actually named so because it was originally Middle of Saxon country.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1066
citybus

Likes (Received): 230

In England you have a couple of counties with sex in the name surrounding London. It does refer to Saxons, as these areas were Saxon territories in what was then a Celtic country. Essex was one of their eastern colony's, Sussex was south, Wessex was north. Middlesex is in the centre, and is now part of central London.
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #1067
thesmartboy

1.Alargule-Oh.That's why.Funny.funny.funny.
2.CNGL-What a name.Middlesex?I'd say 'middle of the genders'.But Middlesex in the centre makes more sense.
3.fieldsofdreams and citybus-Oh.
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1068
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Subway and Light Rail for Glasgow. Glasgow has a wealth of disused railway alingments, viaducts and tunnels, so here is what I'd do with them as part of a modern light rail/tram system.

The Orange line is the existing Subway, which will be integrated into the new tram system.

The Yellow Line connects High Street station (the future Glasgow terminus for High Speed rail) with Glasgow Queen Street and Glasgow Central stations at street level. Between High Street and Commonwealth, it runs on disused railway alignment, with underground stations along the way. Between Commonwealth and Carmyle (where the line interchanges with Network Rail services) the line will run grade separated along side street level traffic. Between Glasgow Harbour and College, the line will run along a disused elevated railway alignment through the old shipyards and docklands, serving some densely populated tennement areas. The line will run at street level between the SECC and the Airport on the southern branch.

The Red Line makes use of disused railway viaduct between St. Enoch and West St. From then on it runs along the lines of the existing Paisley Canal and Cathcart lines, replacing heavy rail traffic. Beyond Paisley Canal it runs at street level, connecting with the yellow line. Beyond Cathcart, it runs at street level to Castlemilk.

The Green Line would run between Easterhouse, in the east, and Maryhill in the west. It will run at street level between Easterhouse and Berkeley St, and it will run underground using abandonded tunnels between Kelvingrove and Maryhill.

EDIT - I'll repost!

Last edited by Kolothos; December 27th, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Link too long!
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1069
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Your link is too long! Can you find a shorter link to do it? Perhaps you can try http://bit.ly to shorten the long link, if possible.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1070
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Okay, here it is. A tram based expansion of Glasgow's rail network, think Manchester Metrolink. This system would use a mixture of street running (central section and Airport branch of the yellow line), conversion of heavy rail lines (West Street to Cathcart and Paisley Canal), and reintroduction of disused tunnels (SECC to Maryhill and High Street to Commonwealth) and viaducts (St. Enoch to West Street and Whiteinch to Clydebank)

The orange line is the existing Subway circle, and interchange points either denote an interchange between light rail lines or Subway, or interchange to Network Rail services.
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1071
thesmartboy

Nice map,but where does the northern part of the Red line go?
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1072
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Ah yes, the map is somewhat incomplete.

The red line would take trams through the streets past Glasgow Cathedral, and over the motorway into the new developments (as part of the Glasgow 2018 Youth Olympics bid) at Sighthill, and then carrying on north to interchange with rail services on the North Clyde and Maryhill lines at Springburn.

The green line would travel at street level towards Easterhouse. The green line is essentially the same line that was proposed in the early nineties, and was almost built.

The yellow line is essentially the route of our yet to be completed BRT route, and the red line is a long discussed solution to increasing capacity on the Cathcart Circle line, and the conversion of the Paisley Canal line also allows for an extra line to the Airport, while serving Paisley with the trams.
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1073
thesmartboy

Ok.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1074
teamginger

Likes (Received): 2

I'm working on a map for Busan, South Korea.

Based off this forecast map I found a year or so ago:

Last edited by teamginger; January 5th, 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.
teamginger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1075
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Very interesting. And your line map looks much more simple and organized too.

Old January 6th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #1076
thesmartboy

That is simple awesomeness!
It's good that you managed to connect the Silver line to the other lines since in the original map,it is disconnected.

What is the name of the westernmost station on the Silver line?
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1077
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

What an odd network btw, with all these isolated, looping or zig-zagging lines.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1078
teamginger

Likes (Received): 2

Not sure which station you mean smart boy... Maybe you can just wait for a full sized finished version. (Thanks for the compliment )

Alargule, I'm pretty sure when they decided to build Busan they looked country wide for the least appropriate place to build a huge city. Every building decision is determined by the body of water or mountain in the way...
teamginger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1079
BruinsFan
Future urban planner

Likes (Received): 6

I wanted to make a fantasy transit map in Google Maps, but I guess made too much items because it wont show up. Does anyone have an program,website,etc that I can make a transit map on. Thank you!
BruinsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1080
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan View Post
I wanted to make a fantasy transit map in Google Maps, but I guess made too much items because it wont show up. Does anyone have an program,website,etc that I can make a transit map on. Thank you!
You could use Java Open Street Map Editor. PM me if you want to know how to enable Google's satellite map tile service there.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote