daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1361
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

Sorry for misinterpreting the circle map paradigm thing,but thanks for that.I've heard of Maxwell Roberts already
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1362
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Yes, he's actually quite active in the realm of map making. I really do like his investigations into design paradigms and experiments on map design. It's given me quite some insight in how map design actually works, what factors to take into account and how certain design paradigms work better in one situation/network layout, while others are more applicable to other network layouts.

You should really read his 'Underground maps unravelled' - probably the most detailed book on (metro) map design thus far.

But apart from that, I'm glad he didn't get assigned to redesigning the official New York Subway map...
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1363
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

The first time I read about circular transit maps was on the transit maps blog.

I think they look cool but that New York one will suffer the same fate as the famous Vignelli design where the latitude of each station is so distorted tourists will think they can walk from Queens to Yankee stadium.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1364
ibarrere

Likes (Received): 33

One of the problems with circular maps is that they cater to an inherently ill-designed network. The type of network we all strive to achieve (or at least we should...) is one based on utilizing efficient transfer points on a grid wherein the rider can get from any point to any other point in the network/city in the most direct manner. Once a transit system has been operational for many years this grid usually forces its way into reality in one form or another by necessity; a system comprised of a bunch of radial lines extending from the center can get really difficult to use when the rider is trying to get somewhere that isn't the center.

As maps go, the radial network is easily portrayed in a circular fashion because it's geographically accurate. It's harder to force a grid network into a circular map.

Swede, Alargule liked this post

Last edited by ibarrere; September 14th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
ibarrere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1365
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

New one for Seattle

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #1366
ibarrere

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
New one for Seattle

Nice. What's that stop between First Hill and Miller Park on the green line? That looks something like what the completed Link network will be. Do you keep up with Seattle Subway at all? It's pretty pie-in-the-sky, but it would be awesome if it happened. It's mostly just about allocating funding and garnering support for now, so it certainly will be awhile until anything's shovel-ready. They're pushing really hard for a line out to Ballard via a new 2nd Ave subway now, that line would be huge for the region.

http://seattlesubway.org/
ibarrere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #1367
CNB30

Honestly, I just see what major urban cities don't have a metro, and then just design one for them. I had not even known of this project before you told me. The way I found stations was by looking on Google earth, actually.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1368
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
A fantasty map of the MBTA that doesn't include a tunnel connecting South Station to North Station? You gotta have through-service!
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1369
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
A fantasty map of the MBTA that doesn't include a tunnel connecting South Station to North Station? You gotta have through-service!
Haha, I was pretty sure that someone would say that. I thought that it would be useless since a multi-line section would have a very frequent service and a just - one - line connection would make the passengers who use the rest of the lines change train anyway.
Actually, the map is very inaccurate. In fact i was just drawing
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #1370
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbp View Post
I made the Jakarta's MRT and Monorail masterplan system map
image hosted on flickr

Jakarta Mass Transit System by adriansyahyassin, on Flickr
More stations + transfer poitns + MRT lines please!

\first time posting here.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1371
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
Haha, I was pretty sure that someone would say that. I thought that it would be useless since a multi-line section would have a very frequent service and a just - one - line connection would make the passengers who use the rest of the lines change train anyway.
Actually, the map is very inaccurate. In fact i was just drawing
Well, London is building a tunnel to connect commuter rail throught the city center and they seem to think it's worth it. Worth it to the tune of planning another one connecting to other terminal stations even!
If nothing else, it should make room at the old platforms for new services.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1372
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Same for Madrid. They built a high-speed tunnel connecting Atocha and Chamartín stations but every city is different. The distance between North and South station is less than 2 kilometers not to mention that they are both terminals. A shuttle service metro-like connection between the two station would be better I think.
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #1373
CNB30

Vanduser Metro, for Vanduser, a city of 3.2 million

Feel The Bern #2016

thesmartboy liked this post
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1374
thesmartboy

Nice map!
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1375
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Vanduser, Missouri?

Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1376
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

All the talk of Copenhagen Metro expansion has me dreaming. It's a (nearly) geographically accurate map of a future system. Because I'm lazy/don't really have time it's not really graphically refined, it's more about the vision. (That grey line out to sea is a line towards Malmö).

Btw I'm really glad to see this thread has been so active lately!

onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1377
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Vanduser, Missouri?
next stop, the barn

Feel The Bern #2016

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1378
thesmartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree View Post
All the talk of Copenhagen Metro expansion has me dreaming. It's a (nearly) geographically accurate map of a future system. Because I'm lazy/don't really have time it's not really graphically refined, it's more about the vision. (That grey line out to sea is a line towards Malmö).

Btw I'm really glad to see this thread has been so active lately!
The most "I can't believe it" Copenhagen Metro map yet!
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1379
Max Headway
Thought-criminal

Likes (Received): 19

Toowoomba has a population of 100,000 or so. The existing bus system consists of five extremely circuitous routes, with services about as frequent as Halley's Comet—if they're running at all. Here's a theoretical system harnessing the grid layout; the two main routes (red and green) could be bus or tram.

Toowoomba fantasy transit map by whistlingnixie, on Flickr

Abbendymion liked this post

Last edited by Max Headway; November 18th, 2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Improvements
Max Headway está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1380
thesmartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headway View Post
Toowoomba has a population of 100,000 or so. The existing bus system consists of five extremely circuitous routes, with services about as frequent as Halley's Comet—if they're running at all. Here's a theoretical system harnessing the grid layout; the two main routes (red and green) could be bus or tram.

Toowoomba fantasy map by whistlingnixie, on Flickr
Nice system!

(I just keep appreciating maps because I just can't get to that level)

Alargule liked this post

Last edited by thesmartboy; September 23rd, 2013 at 02:54 AM.