daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1481
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

:P
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1482
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Why use a combination of lettered and numbered lines? That only adds to the confusion.
To follow the NY, no other reason in this map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Why not the brown of the J train?
I forgot about the brown J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Pretty sure Mill Hill East is not a shuttle most of the time.
It looks better this way, there are too many services on that line.

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Arnorian; November 15th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1483
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

The Pittsburgh Subway

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #1484
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Here's a continuation from yesterday... same topic (Cebu BRT), but this time, I've formulated Lines 2 and 3. I used Google Maps to approximate the route, and I've indicated each and every stop, along with transfers to the original North-South Line, and I've finally made a system map (albeit no stations for now) for reference...

Tip: use the maps above in conjunction with the previous map I posted to see the system I made so far.
Looks like we've got the same city... (But I opted for a subway system)

Great map!

But Jackosalem (as you've written on the map) is spelled without the c.

HARTride 2012, fieldsofdreams liked this post
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #1485
HARTride 2012

Inspired by Arnorian's map, I've recreated my Mushroom Kingdom fantasy subway system based on the New York City Subway. Note the two extra lines, Line U and Line Y.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #1486
HARTride 2012

Sorry for such a large map. I'll try to upload a smaller size later. It was made with Beno.

Hypothetically speaking here, the transit authority, YITSAtransit eliminated lettered lines in 1995 in favor of only using numbered lines and independent routes. The old system was very much like the map above, where lines were intertwined. The numbered routes were operated by the Mushroom Kingdom Subway Company and the lettered routes were run originally by several private operators in small segments. In the 1920s, these companies were slowly absorbed into the East-West Subway Company. In 1977, YITSAtransit bought out the East-West Subway Company, followed by the Mushroom Kingdom Subway Company in 1985.

After all these mergers, YITSAtransit wanted to "simplify" things along the subway, so in 1995 they redesigned the entire subway system and eliminated all of the lettered lines. The only lines that largely remain of their original selves are Lines 1, 4, and 7.

The map above shows what all of the lines would look like if the old system was kept in place. Compare this map to the one I posted in Post #678.
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #1487
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Inspired by Arnorian's map, I've recreated my Mushroom Kingdom fantasy subway system based on the New York City Subway. Note the two extra lines, Line U and Line Y.

Interesting... and looks like a Singapore MRT and London Underground map combined.

And I've seen fieldsofdreams' full map on flickr. The Line 3 was fixed in the Mandaue area,
but the line was a little messy on the way to the airport. He even has 3 Jakosalems on
his map, and (still) extended that magenta line to Naga City.

Last edited by thesmartboy; November 16th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1488
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Line 239 and 456?
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1489
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmartboy View Post
Interesting... and looks like a Singapore MRT and London Underground map combined.
Thanks! I'll have to go back in and revise the map. I forgot to add in my Line P, which would be Line 15 on the other map.

Quote:
Line 239 and 456?
Lines 2, 3, and 9 and Lines 4, 5, and 6 have the same terminus in the downtown area, which is the Capital Station.
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1490
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

So lines 9 and L used to run through that military base? .

Quote:
Line 239 and 456?
That would be a really crazy insane network if that reached line 456. I already flipped when I saw Wuhan metro plans, going all the way up to line 32, so if it was to reach line 456...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1491
HARTride 2012

Correct! But due to security concerns, subway service is now just limited to the Joint Military Base Shuttle Line. That shuttle currently runs 7 days a week with trains leaving every 2 to 4 mins between 3:30am and 5:30am, M-F. During the weekday rush, trains leave every 90 seconds between 5:30am and 9:30am, and between 3:30pm and 6:30pm. Between 9:30am and 3:30pm M-F, trains leave every 3 to 5 mins. During evenings, M-F, trains leave every 6-8 mins between 6:30pm and 8:30pm, then frequency decreases to 10 minute headways between 8:30pm and 10:30pm. Overnight and weekend services have 15 minute headways.

Prior to the 1995 system reorganization, the 9-train had this type of frequency, and the L-train ran with 90 second headways during the rush hours and 5 to 10 minute off-peak headways. The shuttle line only ran during overnight hours.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; November 16th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1492
HARTride 2012

Revised map with the P-train (the southern portion is Line 15).

CNB30 liked this post
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1493
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post
fantasytransit.com isn't bought and used yet.
Whoops; my bad. But when I checked the asking price was $1,995 american, and I'm not spending 2 grand for a web domain.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1494
TinyMusic

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot42 View Post
Whoops; my bad. But when I checked the asking price was $1,995 american, and I'm not spending 2 grand for a web domain.
fantasytransit.net is cheaper though. A friend of mine got a website called fantaxy.tk for free, so would you like to use that?
TinyMusic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #1495
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
Elevation of the track is not important to travelers. Anyway, NY and London's metro networks are both a combination of underground (deep and shallow) and overground tracks.
The division into Tube and SSL lines isn't really about depth under the streets, it's about the dimensions of the tunnels. The classic tiny tunnels of the Underground are the Tube lines, whiel the SSL lines are more "normal" when it comes to loading guage. The IRT/BMT divide in NYC is also based on loading guage.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1496
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The IRT/BMT divide in NYC is also based on loading guage.
On (former) operating company, actually; the difference in loading gauge and (I believe) tunnel profile was complementary to that. The former IND lines use the same loading gauge as the BMT, by the way.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1497
Arnorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The division into Tube and SSL lines isn't really about depth under the streets, it's about the dimensions of the tunnels. The classic tiny tunnels of the Underground are the Tube lines, whiel the SSL lines are more "normal" when it comes to loading guage. The IRT/BMT divide in NYC is also based on loading guage.
Yes, I know, but such technical characteristics are not really important for a map like this.

Old November 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #1498
Arnorian

Quote:
On (former) operating company, actually; the difference in loading gauge and (I believe) tunnel profile was complementary to that. The former IND lines use the same loading gauge as the BMT, by the way.
Quote:
The New York City Subway is an amalgamation of three former constituent companies, and while all are standard gauge, inconsistencies in loading gauge prevent cars from the former BMT and IND systems from running on the lines of the former IRT system, and vice versa. This is mainly because IRT tunnels and stations are approximately 1 foot (305 mm) narrower than the others, meaning that IRT cars running on the BMT or IND lines would have gaps of over 8 inches (203 mm) between the train and some platforms, whereas BMT and IND cars would not even fit into an IRT station without hitting the platform edge. Taking this into account, all maintenance vehicles are built to IRT loading gauge so that they can be operated over the entire network, and employees are responsible for minding the gap. Another inconsistency is the permissible train car length. Cars in the former IRT system can be as long as 51 feet (15.54 m); cars in the former BMT and IND can be longer: on the Canarsie, Jamaica, and Myrtle Avenue lines the cars are limited to 60 feet (18.29 m), while on the rest of the BMT and IND lines plus the Staten Island Railroad (which uses modified IND stock) the cars may be as long as 75 feet (22.86 m).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading...ew_York_Subway

Old November 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1499
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post
fantasytransit.net is cheaper though. A friend of mine got a website called fantaxy.tk for free, so would you like to use that?
I'd really like to keep it as close to fantasytransit.(insert domain here) for clarity's sake. I may just go ahead and set up a page on blogspot; it's also free.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1500
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
Yes, I know, but such technical characteristics are not really important for a map like this.
If you giving some lines numbers, rather than letters, it helps if stock does one or the other. This 'technical characteristic' as you call it is important - the SSL lines all inter-run (OK, the Met is slightly isolated) - not a day goes by without trains suddenly changing lines. Plus there's all the late night stuff...

As such, you have S7 stock plying lines N, Q, R, 4, 5 and 6, with almost-identical S8 stock plying lines 7, 8 and 9. 456 and 789 have far more in common with NQR than they do with 12.

That the letters/numbers match NYC lines of the same colour is even more meaningless and irrelevant for a map like this one, yet the Northern line has its colour disgracefully changed so as be of a colour with the 'right' number of services.

interestingly, 9 is given to the purple Met, when in NYC runs on the 'red' line, which is also missing line 3. Also the 8 doesn't exist, but is given to the Met. This ridiculous ideological imposition of NYC's subway geography onto the map (if it wasn't for the ideology that forces line identifiers to match colours with NYC, the map would be excellent. However it's horrific due to that ideological stance) isn't applied consistently. The yellow line can be 123, the northern can be black, the map could be good - all you need to do is be as lax with this absurd rule as you were with the purple 9, the existence of 8, and the lack of 3!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote