daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1521
Huggkruka
Registered User
 
Huggkruka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 219

Hmm, didn't know this thread existed! Here's a very fictional metro system map I drew a whole ago for the cities of Scania in the south of Sweden. I imagine an (unrealistic) explosive growth of the cities, necessitating a big metro network. All names are based on existing places, but many of them are only small villages now. The first map shows the larger rail network in a angled style, while the city metro maps are more loose and based on geography.













__________________

bozenBDJ, Thorum, Arnorian, ko7, Alargule and 4 others liked this post
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1522
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,978
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggkruka View Post
Hmm, didn't know this thread existed! Here's a very fictional metro system map I drew a whole ago for the cities of Scania in the south of Sweden. I imagine an (unrealistic) explosive growth of the cities, necessitating a big metro network. All names are based on existing places, but many of them are only small villages now. The first map shows the larger rail network in a angled style,
How about restoring, and providing frequent services on, all railways that ever existed in Scania?
The 1910 map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nvagar1910.png
Considering the 2012 population distribution - are there any brand new links or branches that need adding?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #1523
micro
Registered User
 
micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamburg, .de Home: everywhere
Posts: 1,260
Likes (Received): 106

Seen on TV yesterday:



__________________

metrobits.org
| Follow metrobits.org on Twitter

Manitopiaaa liked this post
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #1524
Azer_Akhundov
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baku
Posts: 4,738
Likes (Received): 6540

I prepared two Baku Metro Maps, conceptual and actual one on city map:

Conceptual map (Original Size (2997x2160))



Actual map (Original Size (3150x2362))

__________________
Baku | Azerbaijan
Azer_Akhundov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1525
Huggkruka
Registered User
 
Huggkruka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
How about restoring, and providing frequent services on, all railways that ever existed in Scania?
The 1910 map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nvagar1910.png
Considering the 2012 population distribution - are there any brand new links or branches that need adding?
I think many of those were never meant for people but for factories, so their relevance might be limited... but funnily enough, I did find many old tracks while working on the satellite map. You can see their shapes in the landscape, and the ones I found I integrated in the network.
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #1526
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva
 
CNB30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York (Brooklyn)/Richmond/Philadelphia
Posts: 2,575
Likes (Received): 805

The Denver Metro

__________________
High speed rail=real energy independence!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

NickABQ liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1527
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love
 
GeneratorNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 2,333
Likes (Received): 905

Metro map of Suterdaal

In 2011 I created this fantasy metro network for the fictional city of Suterdaal, a place that seems to be located in a country where they speak a language that has elements of Dutch, German, Scandinavian languages and Luxembourgish. Let me know what you think.

- Click here for original size (3634 x 2570 px) -


image hosted on flickr

Suterdaal - Metro map of a fictional city by Vincent Christiaan Alblas, on Flickr


- Click here for original size (3634 x 2570 px) -
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1528
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love
 
GeneratorNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 2,333
Likes (Received): 905

Metro of Rotterdam (extension to Dordrecht)

Here's another one of my creations. In this map, the metro system of Rotterdam (the Netherlands) has been drastically extended to include the city of Dordrecht and other municipalities. Feedback is always welcome.

- Click here for original size (1815 x 1284 px) -


image hosted on flickr

Metro regio Rotterdam - Deelgebied Dordrecht e.o. by Vincent Christiaan Alblas, on Flickr


- Click here for original size (1815 x 1284 px) -

Last edited by GeneratorNL; December 7th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1529
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,978
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggkruka View Post
I think many of those were never meant for people but for factories, so their relevance might be limited... but funnily enough, I did find many old tracks while working on the satellite map. You can see their shapes in the landscape, and the ones I found I integrated in the network.
Do you feel need for branch to Falsterbo and Skanör?
chornedsnorkack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1530
NickABQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albuquerque, Denver
Posts: 604
Likes (Received): 89

CNB30!!

I've always admired your maps and scroll through here often to see if you post any new ones.

I live in Denver now and I am curious, how did you decide on the alignments and station locations for Denver???

And by metro...do you mean a heavy rail system underground seperate from our Light Rail system?
__________________
YO SOY DE BURQUE!


I Love South Africa

CNB30 liked this post
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1531
elliot42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Louis
Posts: 126
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
The Pittsburgh Subway

I don't live in Pittsburgh, so this may be obvious, but would it not make sense to have a north-south link on the west side of the city? Maybe from Carnegie Mellon on the yellow line to Bloomfield station and then Upper Lawrenceville? Just thinking there may be a bunch of west side north-south traffic that is being missed for having to go downtown and back.

Just a thought.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1532
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva
 
CNB30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York (Brooklyn)/Richmond/Philadelphia
Posts: 2,575
Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot42 View Post
I don't live in Pittsburgh, so this may be obvious, but would it not make sense to have a north-south link on the west side of the city? Maybe from Carnegie Mellon on the yellow line to Bloomfield station and then Upper Lawrenceville? Just thinking there may be a bunch of west side north-south traffic that is being missed for having to go downtown and back.

Just a thought.
That may have been a good idea, but I thought the two were quite close anyway so that it would make sense just to walk from one to the other.
__________________
High speed rail=real energy independence!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Kolony liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1533
Dabi89
日韓holic
 
Dabi89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saitama (Japan) / Verona
Posts: 1,068
Likes (Received): 62

Hi there!

I have been absent for some time from here.

This time I show you a kind of different map, this time not really a geographical map, but rather a stop pattern scheme.

This is about a private rail network called "Enikyun" connecting the center of the fantasy city of Sawgon (the central station used by this private company is "Herubori") to the satellite city of Enikezya. There are several branch lines and multiple services.

The Limited Express and the Enikezya Liner use separated hi-speed routes underground with speed up to 250 km/h.

The style is clearly inspired by the Japanese private railways, as well as the toponomastic of the stations.

__________________
From
Verona / ヴェローナ / 베로나

Abbendymion liked this post
Dabi89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #1534
ibarrere
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 33

Looks nice, but how do you handle the forks? For instance, the orange line has like four different destinations. Wouldn't it be better to split the lines based on source/destination pairs?
ibarrere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #1535
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva
 
CNB30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York (Brooklyn)/Richmond/Philadelphia
Posts: 2,575
Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickABQ View Post
CNB30!!

I've always admired your maps and scroll through here often to see if you post any new ones.

I live in Denver now and I am curious, how did you decide on the alignments and station locations for Denver???

And by metro...do you mean a heavy rail system underground seperate from our Light Rail system?
WOW, thanks for the complement!

Actually when deciding to build the metro system (yes completely separate from light rail, and underground), I looked at the downtown, and figured out where most of the businesses, tourist spots, etc were, and tried to build the route out along areas of high density, and then I try to make sure I access things like the Airport, train station, and edge cities (I thought it was significant in Denver to cover the tech corridor).
__________________
High speed rail=real energy independence!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #1536
thesmartboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manila
Posts: 929
Likes (Received): 73

Wow, I love those great maps!
I've been out for a while, thus I welcome myself back.


I've completed two Philippine rail transport maps while out (Tagbilaran and Olongapo). I actually started Tagbilaran after my vacation in there (before the earthquake) and Olongapo, just last weekend.

Tagbilaran: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...E.kZZgHslski14

Olongapo: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...625cbef6&msa=0
Note: This is actually the second version, and, again, see second page for continuation.
Note: I could also make a paper map, if you want.
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1537
Huggkruka
Registered User
 
Huggkruka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 219

Another recent map - Metro map for Aarhus(2nd largest city of Denmark, currently building a rather measly light rail, otherwise devoid of urban rail).
I imagine a mix of cut&cover(cheaper than deep bore) and elevated(like the metro in Copenhagen) rail. The current commuter line "Nærbanen" is integrated(black in the picture). The metro stations are built where there are a lot of people, or where there is potential for development. Compactness was important in the design.

__________________

Rail_Serbia liked this post
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1538
Dabi89
日韓holic
 
Dabi89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saitama (Japan) / Verona
Posts: 1,068
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrere View Post
Looks nice, but how do you handle the forks? For instance, the orange line has like four different destinations. Wouldn't it be better to split the lines based on source/destination pairs?
Yes, I still have to fix some points. I thought about dividing the colors according on the kind of services of the main line. So in the case of the orange line, there are 4 relations: Herubori - Enikezya Seributotsu; Herubori - Shinchabu; Herubori - Kojimatsu; Kojimatsu - Kaijitenjo Nanmun.

I will try to separate better the different routes.

Thank you for the observation!
__________________
From
Verona / ヴェローナ / 베로나
Dabi89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1539
1993matias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggkruka View Post
Another recent map - Metro map for Aarhus(2nd largest city of Denmark, currently building a rather measly light rail, otherwise devoid of urban rail).
I imagine a mix of cut&cover(cheaper than deep bore) and elevated(like the metro in Copenhagen) rail. The current commuter line "Nærbanen" is integrated(black in the picture). The metro stations are built where there are a lot of people, or where there is potential for development. Compactness was important in the design.
The map looks good, but maybe the amount of lines is a bit overkill? For example, line 4 and 5 don't really add many stations to the network, and compared to the size of Aarhus (~500.000), a bus line might be better suited for those few new stations, lines 4 and 5 do add.
Just my 25 cents
1993matias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1540
Huggkruka
Registered User
 
Huggkruka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993matias View Post
The map looks good, but maybe the amount of lines is a bit overkill? For example, line 4 and 5 don't really add many stations to the network, and compared to the size of Aarhus (~500.000), a bus line might be better suited for those few new stations, lines 4 and 5 do add.
Just my 25 cents
True, 5 and 2 could easily be consolidated into one line with a fork at the end... To be honest, the logic of Aarhus, where you are able to cut&cover or allow yourself raised tracks, it all creates a certain structure that gives you some awkward options. Maybe some day when I'm bored I'll make a 2.0. But no buses! This is fantasy metro after all!
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium