daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1541
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
WOW, thanks for the complement!

Actually when deciding to build the metro system (yes completely separate from light rail, and underground), I looked at the downtown, and figured out where most of the businesses, tourist spots, etc were, and tried to build the route out along areas of high density, and then I try to make sure I access things like the Airport, train station, and edge cities (I thought it was significant in Denver to cover the tech corridor).

Yeah I'm serious! They always look very clear.

It would be interesting to see if any of the stations could be combined with current light rail stations and how that would function/what that would look like.

I live in Whittier and work downtown near the convention center. If only your map were a reality! Then I could take the green line directly from my neighborhood straight to work!!

Alas...this is not the case

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1542
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Just wondering:
  • How do you align multiple parallel lines?
See here:

Quote:
Tutorial: Creating Multiple Parallel Route Lines

Todayís tutorial comes from an anonymous question that I received in my Tumblr Inbox, which asked:

I design a bus transit map using a street layer. But how can i align correctly multiple lines on a street without overlap?

This is a great question. Youíd be amazed how often I see people attempting to draw multiple parallel route lines manually, which is absolutely the most difficult way of doing things. You might be able to get away with it on a rectilinear transit map, but itís almost impossible to get right when your route lines are overlaid on a standard road map ó there are always curves and twists in the road that make it nigh-on impossible to manually draw adjacent route lines without things looking terrible.

For an example of a very poor attempt at drawing parallel route lines individually, you need look no further than the light rail map for Denver, Colorado (April 2013, 2 stars).

The most frustrating thing about seeing it done the wrong way is that thereís a tool in Adobe Illustrator that makes this task almost effortless.

Object Menu > Path > Offset PathÖ

The images above demonstrate how to offset route lines correctly ó the first image shows how itís done with an odd number of route lines; the second illustrates how to do it for an even number of route lines.

If youíve drawn the street layer on your map yourself, then youíve probably already got the first thing you need ó a path that follows the centre of your street. Copy it and then Paste in Front (Cmd/Ctrl-F) so it sits exactly on top of the original. Then move it to its own layer above the street layer and stroke it the way you want your route lines to look. In my example, weíve got an 8-point wide red route line.

If youíre drawing your route lines on top of an aerial photo or Google Maps image, then youíre going to have to draw your own central route line. Be as accurate as possible while also using as few bezier points as you can. Again, put it on its own layer and make it look the way you want. Now the fun starts.

IF YOU NEED THREE ADJACENT ROUTE LINES (First image), then youíre going to use the central route line you already have, and use the Offset Path function to create a new route line on both sides at once. Select the path, then invoke the Offset Path command. In the resultant dialog box, enter the amount of offset you want, which is the desired distance between the paths. Here, I want a little gap to show between my 8-point route lines, so I entered 10 points. The middle part of the first image shows the results: Illustrator will offset your path to both sides of the line, so itís basically done all the hard work for us. Now you just need to use the Scissor tool (C) to cut and then delete the pesky little joining lines that are created at the top and bottom (circled in blue in the image). From there, simply colour the route lines as required. If you need five, or seven, or more route lines, simply keep offsetting the outermost route lines by 10 points and then cutting the resulting new lines to only keep the outermost section each time.

IF YOU NEED TWO ADJACENT ROUTE LINES (Second Image), the process is almost the same, except that when you select and offset the original path, you only use half the required distance between route lines (in my example, 5 points). Then you can delete the original route line, keeping only the new offset paths, which now sit neatly on either side of the centre of the road. To create four, or six, or more route lines, continue to offset the outermost paths by 10 points as in the first example.
http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/7...et-route-lines
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1543
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Yes, I know that trick, it's great
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #1544
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Since The old one was kind of plain, here is the updated Baltimore Metro Subway

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:26 AM   #1545
CNB30

The Machaven Metro Subway

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

NickABQ liked this post
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #1546
1993matias

Likes (Received): 34

A rather different map to all those already here, this is a map of buses in Greater Copenhagen. There are different colour of lines; yellow is a 'standard' line, red is a frequent line, blue is either S-bus, frequent, rapid buses with limited stops, or R-bus, regional buses with fixed timetables every 30/60 minutes; and finally, green is either express or extra buses, reinforcing the network during rush hours.
It might look like some areas are lacking coverage, but that is probably just a railway line running through.

If you have any questions regarding the route layout or the map itself - or even just about the region and current transport network, please do ask. I appreciate questions!

Link:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.kdxtsVLL1V48

Current official map:
http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/k...a-H-samlet.pdf

EDIT: I now feel this map is completed. My next step is to make a table with all the routes including information about frequency and branches.

Last edited by 1993matias; December 27th, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
1993matias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1547
CNB30

Totten Rapid Underground

Feel The Bern #2016

NickABQ, Arnorian liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:32 PM   #1548
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2901

An idea for Rīga rail network which is hard to explain in words but I'll show the map anyways.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1549
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

DC fantasy map

The dark blue line is the Silver line extended through and around the District. The purple ring is the current blue line that loops around downtown instead of continuing NE with the orange line.

elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1550
elliot42

Cleveland

Old January 13th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #1551
chiasticslide

Likes (Received): 0

Los Angeles

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/...M.kfbyQXkzMH4A

there will probably be beachfront properties in arizona before this happens
chiasticslide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #1552
1993matias

Looks good!
Why not extend some lines eastward? Or are those areas already covered today?
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1553
Max Headway
Thought-criminal

Likes (Received): 19

Wellington, New Zealand—according to proposed changes for the near future...

Proposed Wellington bus network by whistlingnixie, on Flickr

Abbendymion liked this post

Last edited by Max Headway; June 8th, 2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Updated
Max Headway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #1554
Huggkruka

Likes (Received): 219

Looking good, very professional and clean! Love that Brooklyn and Central Park is on the same line.
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1555
Huggkruka

Likes (Received): 219

Based on current available information and plans, here is the light rail and S-train network of Aarhus, Denmark's second largest city, in 2025. The challenge was how to portray light rail - being a tram system, it is more flexible than trains. My guess is that they will use A,B,C,D-demarkers to show where the train is going. Today, the red and green line is one regional train going all the way from Odder in the south to Grenaa in the northeast, using the line marked in green on my map. Apart from that, only the grey regional and intercity trains are built.

Some of the information here is guesswork! It is not to be interpreted as the definitive end result.

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #1556
chiasticslide

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993matias View Post
Looks good!
Why not extend some lines eastward? Or are those areas already covered today?
the san gabriel valley is mostly car centric low density suburbs so i only included proposed expansions. believe it or not, that map is my 'realistic' one lol.

this one is unhinged... the work of a madman

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/...M.k52RFgiBAboQ
chiasticslide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #1557
1993matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggkruka View Post
Based on current available information and plans, here is the light rail and S-train network of Aarhus, Denmark's second largest city, in 2025. The challenge was how to portray light rail - being a tram system, it is more flexible than trains. My guess is that they will use A,B,C,D-demarkers to show where the train is going. Today, the red and green line is one regional train going all the way from Odder in the south to Grenaa in the northeast, using the line marked in green on my map. Apart from that, only the grey regional and intercity trains are built.

Some of the information here is guesswork! It is not to be interpreted as the definitive end result.
[IMG]
Looks good! Finally Aarhus gets a worthy transport system (currently only served by the Odder-Aarhus-Grenaa line and a ton of buses...)!
It has to be pointed out, though, that the distances on this map are hugely disproportionate, even more than other diagrammatic maps. For example, Aarhus - Brabrand is four times shorter than Aarhus - Silkeborg! Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/oj0Gc

chiasticslide, I can't seem to view the map you posted - have you enabled sharing?
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #1558
elliot42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993matias View Post
Looks good! Finally Aarhus gets a worthy transport system (currently only served by the Odder-Aarhus-Grenaa line and a ton of buses...)!
It has to be pointed out, though, that the distances on this map are hugely disproportionate, even more than other diagrammatic maps. For example, Aarhus - Brabrand is four times shorter than Aarhus - Silkeborg! Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/oj0Gc

chiasticslide, I can't seem to view the map you posted - have you enabled sharing?
--It's open now, and boy is it a doozy!
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1559
elliot42

Philadelphia:

CNB30 liked this post
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1560
CNB30

Thanks for the idea

Feel The Bern #2016