daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #1621
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joke View Post
Hello,
I want to draw fantasy network maps, which program is the best to do it?
try Beno metro map creator (It's very simple)

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1622
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

The very Simple (and ultra impractical) Des Moines Elevated

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

NickABQ, Manitopiaaa, thesmartboy liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1623
WaffleCat

Likes (Received): 5

Hello all, I have designed my second subway map that I want to share with you guys.(I have a first, but for some reason SC does not allow pics to be posted yet. Is it something restricted to new users?) Anyway, I don't, and won't post frequently, but I just wanted to share my map with you all.

Introducing...The Canberra Metro

I have never visited, let alone lived in Canberra, so I'm not too sure which areas are all crowded and what neighbourhoods are deserted,so I tried to design lines around the major bus network, with all major bus stations serviced by at least one station (Tuggeranong,Woden,Gungahlin, Belconnen and the city), with some stations also servicing bus terminuses (Spence,Weston, Duffy).

This network is admittedly not perfect, with me missing out a major area northwest,consisting of Latham and Flynn,among others.Also, Canberra is not really a city worth having a metro, with a population of just under 400'000, but it was fun designing this system nonetheless, especially when I get into details. And when I get started on details, you just can't stop me, so let's get started…

Firstly the City West and City East stations. They are classified as two separate stations, yet there is a direct, unpaid underground link between the two stations. The west station serves mainly City West bus depot and everything to the west of the 'hexagon',while City East serves City Walk and other areas to the east of the 'hexagon'. Parkes and Capital Hill station have platforms similar to those of City Hall and Raffles Place on my home's MRT line, where both the Belconnen and the Gungahlin lines serve the same island platform, thus some line changes only necessitate a short walk across the platform to change line. Also, the Casey station above is a shell, to be opened when the future commercial development opens nearby the station's location.

I'll stop myself here on the details, and if you want to say something about the map, request whatever city you want me to do a map of next, or just begging for more details, you're more than welcome to.

Manitopiaaa liked this post
WaffleCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #1624
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10386

Nice map mate. If you don't mind me asking, how do you make metro maps through Google Earth?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1625
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

In the meantime I've completed a parody metro, the (existing) Shanghai metro... only that every damn stop received new names. I had a hard time thinking them, and at least I managed to avoid naming a station after a disease explicitly. I'll modify a Shanghai metro map to show this network.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

thesmartboy liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #1626
WaffleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Nice map mate. If you don't mind me asking, how do you make metro maps through Google Earth?
Not Google Earth, Google Maps itself. If you're using the old version, click on "My Places". You can choose to create a map using the new maps engine or the classic 'My Maps', which is my preferred choice and the one I used to create my map here.

Manitopiaaa, thesmartboy liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1627
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleCat View Post
Hello all, I have designed my second subway map that I want to share with you guys.(I have a first, but for some reason SC does not allow pics to be posted yet. Is it something restricted to new users?) Anyway, I don't, and won't post frequently, but I just wanted to share my map with you all.

Introducing...The Canberra Metro

I have never visited, let alone lived in Canberra, so I'm not too sure which areas are all crowded and what neighbourhoods are deserted,so I tried to design lines around the major bus network, with all major bus stations serviced by at least one station (Tuggeranong,Woden,Gungahlin, Belconnen and the city), with some stations also servicing bus terminuses (Spence,Weston, Duffy).

This network is admittedly not perfect, with me missing out a major area northwest,consisting of Latham and Flynn,among others.Also, Canberra is not really a city worth having a metro, with a population of just under 400'000, but it was fun designing this system nonetheless, especially when I get into details. And when I get started on details, you just can't stop me, so let's get started…

Firstly the City West and City East stations. They are classified as two separate stations, yet there is a direct, unpaid underground link between the two stations. The west station serves mainly City West bus depot and everything to the west of the 'hexagon',while City East serves City Walk and other areas to the east of the 'hexagon'. Parkes and Capital Hill station have platforms similar to those of City Hall and Raffles Place on my home's MRT line, where both the Belconnen and the Gungahlin lines serve the same island platform, thus some line changes only necessitate a short walk across the platform to change line. Also, the Casey station above is a shell, to be opened when the future commercial development opens nearby the station's location.

I'll stop myself here on the details, and if you want to say something about the map, request whatever city you want me to do a map of next, or just begging for more details, you're more than welcome to.
Great map! Though neither I have visited Canberra, why not connect either line on the northern side? And that Gungahlin East service needs to be a full service line or make a separate line out of it (the tourists from the airport wouldn't want to wait for peak hours just for them to ride the train). You can also make lines to and in Queanbeyan, since it is part of the metropolitan area. And too, you can make a unified Central station (I mean, unifying the two City stations) under the London Circuit therefore removing the Reid station due to its distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
In the meantime I've completed a parody metro, the (existing) Shanghai metro... only that every damn stop received new names. I had a hard time thinking them, and at least I managed to avoid naming a station after a disease explicitly. I'll modify a Shanghai metro map to show this network.
Funny. I'd want to see that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
The very Simple (and ultra impractical) Des Moines Elevated

It is simple (well, given my simple reply)

Still working on the projects, so better wait (given the Žilina Metro that consumes time for my other big projects).

BTW, it is also good that the thread revived after one month and one week (exact counting)!

Last edited by thesmartboy; June 1st, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1628
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmartboy View Post
Funny. I'd want to see that!
Here is a sneak peak (sic) of it. Line 2 between what in reality are Zhongshangongyuan and Zhangjianggaoke stations, which I have renamed Parque Goya and Walqa to make a long-running joke in the regional forums
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

thesmartboy, Sr.Horn liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:02 AM   #1629
thesmartboy

Quote:
Here is a sneak peak (sic) of it. Line 2 between what in reality are Zhongshangongyuan and Zhangjianggaoke stations, which I have renamed Parque Goya and Walqa to make a long-running joke in the regional forums
What have you at renaming Pudong and Honqiao Airports?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:22 AM   #1630
thesmartboy

Quote:
I've seen your first one (the San Diego Metro). It only has one line and a few stations... in my opinion, if it doesn't expand, maybe it could be an extension of the trolleybus. I once planned a Metro of the same city extending as far north as Oceanside and San Luis Rey to as far south as Rosarito and Tecate, Mexico (!)

The picture for new users I think is not restricted, just click on the picture icon above when posting, then copy the link of the picture into it.

And my Žilina Metro will be Slovak-friendly, to consider all the Slovaks, especially Igor Choma, Ivan Gašparovič and JŠn Počiatek (yes, I have to mention all of those).
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:10 PM   #1631
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
What have you at renaming Pudong and Honqiao Airports?
You will see that . I've kept railway stations, airports, and most universities and parks in their places. Another thing I've changed apart from the station names is the rolling stock. No C type crap, all lines run either A or B type trains (Yup, I retain those Chinese sizes). Both line 1 and the western half of line 2 run 10A car trains, the lenght of these exceeds the 200 meter mark . Line 8, which in RL is the epic fail of Shanghai, in this version runs 8A car trains, like most of the lines. Only lines 5 and 6 run B type trains.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1632
thesmartboy

Quote:
You will see that . I've kept railway stations, airports, and most universities and parks in their places. Another thing I've changed apart from the station names is the rolling stock. No C type crap, all lines run either A or B type trains (Yup, I retain those Chinese sizes). Both line 1 and the western half of line 2 run 10A car trains, the lenght of these exceeds the 200 meter mark . Line 8, which in RL is the epic fail of Shanghai, in this version runs 8A car trains, like most of the lines. Only lines 5 and 6 run B type trains.
Where do you get those station names, anyway?

Slovak-izing would be hard for my project.
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #1633
antoinetonee

Likes (Received): 172

Here is my very rough Palembang Metro System map
The population is 1.5 million at the time I sketched the map, but in 2025 will be doubled. In real life, the first phase of the metro system (Airport - Ampera - Jakabaring, the red and yellow ones) is set to complete just before Asian Games 2019. The rest of the lines are actually imaginary, as original plan of the second phase (West-East lines) from the stakeholders are totally different.

Google Map : https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...A.kpFGyBp71WyM

CNB30, thesmartboy liked this post
antoinetonee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #1634
thesmartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinetonee View Post
The population is 1.5 million at the time I sketched the map, but in 2025 will be doubled. In real life, the first phase of the metro system (Airport - Ampera - Jakabaring, the red and yellow ones) is set to complete just before Asian Games 2019. The rest of the lines are actually imaginary, as original plan of the second phase (West-East lines) from the stakeholders are totally different.

Interesting... is the purple line some sort of express in the downtown area? And I don't know why the station names overlap with lines.

What program did you use in making the map?
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #1635
antoinetonee

Quote:
Interesting... is the purple line some sort of express in the downtown area? And I don't know why the station names overlap with lines.

What program did you use in making the map?
It's Metro Map Creator, you can check it out here: http://beno.org.uk/metromapcreator/

However, the map is a bit messy, as you had pointed out the station names overlap with the lines. Can you recommend decent map makers aside of that one?

And the purple line is indeed an express line to decongest the potential overcrowding in mainline routes, as well as catering traffic from suburbs (Kenten, which is a really vast suburb, compared to the others so IMHO it takes 2 separate line terminus to serve with)
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #1636
C.A.F.

Likes (Received): 8

Many years ago I created my "wish tube map" for Hamburg - it is based on the official one and I added the metro lines, which I would be necessary to improve the urban transport system...

At the moment is a discussion between the parties in Hamburg how the urban transport system should be improved and expanded - this is a fantasy proposal from my side

C.A.F. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #1637
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

^Why not extend the black line further to the southwest so it conencts with the purple line?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, řrůndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #1638
WaffleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinetonee View Post

Nice map,but as you mentioned, a little messy.

Anyway, I wanted to post what I planned to do and to respond to thesmartboy, but SC has denied my posts saying 'New posts are limited by number of URLs in them or posts are checked if they contain forbidden words' or something of the sort, which confused me. If I get a chance to post more, my next map will be my REAL first metro system (not San Diego, that was just a failed project) or a metro system in Winnipeg.
Old June 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #1639
antoinetonee

Quote:
Nice map,but as you mentioned, a little messy.

Anyway, I wanted to post what I planned to do and to respond to thesmartboy, but SC has denied my posts saying 'New posts are limited by number of URLs in them or posts are checked if they contain forbidden words' or something of the sort, which confused me. If I get a chance to post more, my next map will be my REAL first metro system (not San Diego, that was just a failed project) or a metro system in Winnipeg.
If only one can write the station names diagonally, I bet it would be better but I couldn't find one. Anyway, looking forward to your forthcoming map!
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1640
C.A.F.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.F. View Post
Many years ago I created my "wish tube map" for Hamburg - it is based on the official one and I added the metro lines, which I would be necessary to improve the urban transport system...

At the moment is a discussion between the parties in Hamburg how the urban transport system should be improved and expanded - this is a fantasy proposal from my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
^Why not extend the black line further to the southwest so it conencts with the purple line?
This plan is based on the current situation in Hamburg and its surroundings - you are right that the black line could be extended to the purple line, but at the moment there are no major residential areas in this area therefore it is not really necessary - the black line ends in front of the airbus industry area in Finkenwerder.

I made a short overview on google maps to explain it better - I marked the purple line and I did the black line in red (therefore it is easy to recognise) - like you can see in between the two lines is nearly nothing except apple/cherry farms...

Swede liked this post
C.A.F. no está en línea   Reply With Quote