daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #1661
thesmartboy

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Something I made on short notice last night.

I used to call this city Yoshi City, but have since changed it to Cantaloupe City. This map displays all of the monorail and subway lines that run through the islands. The thicker lines indicate subway lines and the thinner ones are monorail lines. You can also see some of the key transfer points. Being this is the Beno map, not everything is looking all that great. The left side of the map is basically cut off, so I'll have to go into MS Paint and edit the map more.
Interesting... are the other points needed on the map anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
All trains on my metro system are steel-wheeled and manually driven. By the way, both my fantasy Zaragoza tram system (which includes a not-so fantastic line) and my One Island tram line all use Urbos 3 trams (Locally made in the case of Zaragoza), pictured in post 878 of this thread along the only real line. However I might threw some Alstom Citadis and/or the fantastic (for now) Urbos 4 in Zaragoza.

Anyway, now for the updated map. Apart from adding that new station, I've made some tweaks here and there, like removing that blue dot I discovered after I had posted the first version. Feel free to ask me after what I've named the stations.
Cancer? I hope not

I've recently finished my concept for an LRT in Barrow, Alaska (yes, seriously), after I watched Big Miracle yesterday. Made on Beno. Sorry if pic is too big; see link
http://postimg.org/image/ftqgyca4f/full/
thesmartboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1662
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Named after a zodiac sign in this case , it's next to Aries. But there are some cases where x's disease or x's syndrome exists and x is part of the name of a stop.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1663
WaffleCat

Likes (Received): 5

Hi all, long time no see.

I want to desperately post a map I made, but I can't because this message keeps popping up:

Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

May I know why this keeps coming up?
WaffleCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #1664
thesmartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Named after a zodiac sign in this case , it's next to Aries. But there are some cases where x's disease or x's syndrome exists and x is part of the name of a stop.
Oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleCat View Post
Hi all, long time no see.

I want to desperately post a map I made, but I can't because this message keeps popping up:

Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

May I know why this keeps coming up?
I wonder... It hasn't happened to me yet. But a map is one URL and there are no forbidden words in it, so why is that so?

Barrow LRT has been updated with some extensions and trams. See link
http://postimg.org/image/6yh9hwb7x/full/
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #1665
WaffleCat

Nevermind , realized you need ten or more posts to submit links or images. Weird considering how I sent out the Canberra Metro then. In the meantime, time to boost my post count somehow...
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #1666
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Providence Light rail

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kYkJW3plhlTA

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #1667
WaffleCat

Okay, got up to ten posts, time to show you what I've got...

If you dig back in the thread for a little while, some one said that they found my first metro system,a crappy one somewhere in San Diego. However, two things:
1.That map was horrible
2.THIS is my first actual subway system.

The thicker lines are mass transit lines, referred to as "X Line", while the thinner ones are light transit lines,referred to as "X Transit"
(B) indicates a bus interchange or terminal located nearby the train station

And prepare yourself for info overload...

This is the fictional city of Julian,located in the similarly fictional country of Kew, a French-British country with Malay origins. It's the country's largest city,but not the capital. This is because of a ridge on the south side of the city basically limits land transport to the rest of the country, as the coastline is on the north. Crescent River lies to the east, cutting a valley through the ridge. City Centre is basically a rectangle around Victory, Waterman, Fairswood and between Whitley and Vermillion station. There is a large bus network spanning across the city that runs alongside the train lines, with several bus interchanges and terminals located alongside several stations.

Lines

Original Line: As the name suggests, this was the first metro line constructed to connect the citizens of Kew and providing an alternative to the many,crowded bus routes. The first phase,from Gaillard to Arden was opened in late 1981, with the remainder of the line stretching to Branksome opening in 1982. The line has gone through two expansions over the years, the first one in 1991 to connect the new University to the rest of the city,giving rise to a branch line from Branch to North Pier, and in 2004 to accommodate for the new Southern Business Park as part of the Public Transport Plan K999. Depot station is only used when trains enter and leave the depot that the station precedes.

East Side Line: The east of Kew has always been populated due to the presence of the river, and this line was constructed in 1986 to connect the east of Julain. With Terminus located in the industrial park, a few stations in Downtown,along the busy shopping district of River Valley and Pristine at the beach, this line was dubbed the 'Line for Everyone' when it first opened, and that moniker has pretty much never lost its relevance, with no expansions or new stations since its opening.

Sparger Line: The Sparger district, despite being the second most populated housing district behind Gaillard, had only one tunnel through the ridge to the city through McIntyre. Naturally, citizens complained, and in the K999, a new line was announced that would create a new connection from Sparger to the city at last. Furthermore, it is also the first line to cross the river to the lesser-populated but still bustling Eastern Bank. Completed in 2004, it's trains are now among those with the highest ridership in the system.

Coastal Transit:A light rail system conceived in 1992,opened in 1995 to serve the coastal towns,estates and resorts. It is noted for low ridership during weekdays, but is known for being crowded with beach goers and tourists during weekends and public holidays,being dubbed the 'lazy line' by locals.

Southern Transit: Conceived in K999, this line was originally an express line to connect the three southern terminuses of each line, but when more industries and a bloody titanium mine showed up, more stations were added when the line opened in 2005

Northern Transit: A light rail connecting northern suburbs and estates,while also connecting the Sparger line to the Airport, also providing a link to the domestic terminal via rail for the first time. This line was completed around roughly the same time as the Southern Transit.

Since I'm such a detail freak, I could provide a backstory for every freaking station if I could, but that's enough for now. If you really want station details, I'll provide them to you. But for now, comments, criticisms and enquiries are welcome.

1993matias liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #1668
thesmartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleCat View Post
Okay, got up to ten posts, time to show you what I've got...

If you dig back in the thread for a little while, some one said that they found my first metro system,a crappy one somewhere in San Diego. However, two things:
1.That map was horrible
2.THIS is my first actual subway system.

The thicker lines are mass transit lines, referred to as "X Line", while the thinner ones are light transit lines,referred to as "X Transit"
(B) indicates a bus interchange or terminal located nearby the train station

And prepare yourself for info overload...

This is the fictional city of Julian,located in the similarly fictional country of Kew, a French-British country with Malay origins. It's the country's largest city,but not the capital. This is because of a ridge on the south side of the city basically limits land transport to the rest of the country, as the coastline is on the north. Crescent River lies to the east, cutting a valley through the ridge. City Centre is basically a rectangle around Victory, Waterman, Fairswood and between Whitley and Vermillion station. There is a large bus network spanning across the city that runs alongside the train lines, with several bus interchanges and terminals located alongside several stations.

Lines

Original Line: As the name suggests, this was the first metro line constructed to connect the citizens of Kew and providing an alternative to the many,crowded bus routes. The first phase,from Gaillard to Arden was opened in late 1981, with the remainder of the line stretching to Branksome opening in 1982. The line has gone through two expansions over the years, the first one in 1991 to connect the new University to the rest of the city,giving rise to a branch line from Branch to North Pier, and in 2004 to accommodate for the new Southern Business Park as part of the Public Transport Plan K999. Depot station is only used when trains enter and leave the depot that the station precedes.

East Side Line: The east of Kew has always been populated due to the presence of the river, and this line was constructed in 1986 to connect the east of Julain. With Terminus located in the industrial park, a few stations in Downtown,along the busy shopping district of River Valley and Pristine at the beach, this line was dubbed the 'Line for Everyone' when it first opened, and that moniker has pretty much never lost its relevance, with no expansions or new stations since its opening.

Sparger Line: The Sparger district, despite being the second most populated housing district behind Gaillard, had only one tunnel through the ridge to the city through McIntyre. Naturally, citizens complained, and in the K999, a new line was announced that would create a new connection from Sparger to the city at last. Furthermore, it is also the first line to cross the river to the lesser-populated but still bustling Eastern Bank. Completed in 2004, it's trains are now among those with the highest ridership in the system.

Coastal Transit:A light rail system conceived in 1992,opened in 1995 to serve the coastal towns,estates and resorts. It is noted for low ridership during weekdays, but is known for being crowded with beach goers and tourists during weekends and public holidays,being dubbed the 'lazy line' by locals.

Southern Transit: Conceived in K999, this line was originally an express line to connect the three southern terminuses of each line, but when more industries and a bloody titanium mine showed up, more stations were added when the line opened in 2005

Northern Transit: A light rail connecting northern suburbs and estates,while also connecting the Sparger line to the Airport, also providing a link to the domestic terminal via rail for the first time. This line was completed around roughly the same time as the Southern Transit.

Since I'm such a detail freak, I could provide a backstory for every freaking station if I could, but that's enough for now. If you really want station details, I'll provide them to you. But for now, comments, criticisms and enquiries are welcome.
I was the one who found that map of yours.

The map and the city is interesting. But why not add curves to Victory (B), River Valley, Fairswood (B) and Triple M? I think it looks better with the curves.

I've updated my Barrow Metro with trams and ferry routes, and here it is! Now it's called BITS (or Barrow Integrated Transport System). Yes, it's the northernmost city in the USA.

http://postimg.org/image/6uhc2x7op/full/

In an hour, I was able to make an LRT system in Puerto Princesa, Philippines.
It's here!
http://postimg.org/image/xh5kbpkvj/full/
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #1669
Mr.Joke
I like trains!!

Likes (Received): 4

- edit
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #1670
CNB30

I was recently in Denver, and LOVED the Light Rail system there. However, I found it concerning that except for Five Points and the somewhat sketchy Whittier area, there was no light rail access into the city's core neighborhoods, so I decided to solve that problem

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kntYqYFfD6mM

Please tell me what you think!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1671
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

You're right. It seems like LRT is not supposed to enter north-eastern parts of town in any of the extension plans. However an airport link for the suburban rail is being under construction right now, to open very soon - which will run a little bit further to the north. (along railway alignment - parallel to the I-70)

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #1672
Max Headway
Thought-criminal

Likes (Received): 19

Alternative map showing the proposed review of Wellington's bus network. (The official schematic's horrid!)

Proposed Wellington bus network (Southern Wellington shown only) by whistlingnixie, on Flickr

thesmartboy liked this post

Last edited by Max Headway; November 14th, 2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Improved symbology for connection points
Max Headway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1673
CNGL
Leudimin

My version of Shanghai finally got a name: Dairon. I also did some tweaks to rolling stock, line 16 now uses 4A car trains and line 6 uses 6B car trains as originally planned. And a couple stations got their names changed. I discovered the station which in real life is called Jinjiang Park in English is actually Jinjiang Leyuan (Amusement Park), not Gongyuan (actual Park). Thus I have renamed Parque Venecia to La Feria (lit. 'The Fair', also a reference to Jinjiang Action Park which is located there in real life), and Parque de Rosales is now Parque Venecia.

And by the way, Dairon is a reflection of Shanghai, thus :
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Subway services extended on eve of National Day holiday

Metro lines 1 and 2 will stay open late on September 30, the day before the National Day holiday, to deal with a bigger number of anticipated travelers.

According to Dairon metro company, the city’s Metro operator, both lines 1 and 2 will stay open an additional 80 minutes on September 30. Eight extra trains will be in service on the lines with an interval of 20 minutes.

The last train from Line 1’s Tubingia Station will depart at 23:52 instead of 22:32, while the last train in the opposite direction will leave Clamor Sur Station at 23:50 instead of 22:30.

Line 2 will see train operation extended along its section between Ascaso Ulterior and Universidad Politécnica stations. The last trains will leave both Universidad Politécnica and Ascaso Ulterior stations at 00:05 instead of the usual 22:45.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #1674
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
I was recently in Denver, and LOVED the Light Rail system there. However, I found it concerning that except for Five Points and the somewhat sketchy Whittier area, there was no light rail access into the city's core neighborhoods, so I decided to solve that problem

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kntYqYFfD6mM

Please tell me what you think!
I like it!

However I object to you labeling Whittier "somewhat sketchy." It is a quickly gentrifying neighborhood where homes are worth on average $300,000. Also, the D Line (which would be what you're referring to, stops just short of Whittier in the heart of 5 Points.

The East Line will actually be commuter rail and will along with a D line extension, connect the neighborhoods of Cole (my hood), Elyria-Swansea and River North with the rest of the system, to be completed in 2016.

A streetcar system has long been considered to run up Colfax, but recently it was BRT that was approved and chosen as the best alternative (I would prefer to see LRT).

Also, the Gold Line (to be completed in 2016) will also serve the inner city neighborhoods of Globeville.

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1675
1993matias

Likes (Received): 34

A map for a small provincial city in Ukraine. The town currently has a run-down trolleybus system (as many other old Soviet cities), and the main public transport service is provided by mini-buses.
I hope the city can re-establish closed routes, and open new routes with new buses. This is how I imagine the service network:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...w.koKtSL7opXrA
1993matias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #1676
CNB30

Kinda small, but here is a commuter system for Roanoke VA

Feel The Bern #2016
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1677
CNGL
Leudimin

Still tweaking Dairon's metro (My version of Shanghai). On 1st November, Saluén station, named after the Salween river in East Asia, on line 13 opened (Daduhe Lu, anyone? ). I also renamed a couple more stops, Circuito de Ontinar is now Circuito de Dairón (Now that the city has a name, better to name the circuit after the city) and La Ribera is now Ribera de Pearson (Why have a station named just Riverside when you have an Upper Riverside and a Lower Riverside...). And Navarra will also get renamed soon, I'm not so happy with that name in the middle of the Parque Goya-Walqa section of line 2, which is filled up with puns and things I like (Even the whole strecht is a joke by itself). A new map will be posted by the first day of 2015, with the new sections of line 13 to Sarasa and line 16 to Rosales Pearson.

Edit: Holy hell, only half a hour later, Navarra has received its new name: Javier (Coincidentally a castle in Navarra).

Last edited by CNGL; November 30th, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1678
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14672

CNB30 liked this post
Arnorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #1679
CNB30

What program is that

Feel The Bern #2016
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #1680
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14672

Inkscape.