daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #1
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

MALMÖ | Projects & Construction

Malmö is located in the southernmost of Sweden close to Denmark and Germany, and forms together with Copenhagen the heart of the Öresund Metropolitan Region , which is home to some 3,6 million people.
Malmö itself has 600.000 inhabitants, and is the most booming city in Nordic Europe.

I'm sure this thread will die pretty quickly (), because it doesn't involve too many highrises - but still, here's a collection of projects that I could find.

Västra Hamnen (Western Harbour)

The area of Bo01, Turning Torso, Dockan etc. A huge area (as large as the Malmö city core itself), probably one of the largest areas in Europe that is completely under developement.

This is how the finished parts of the area look today:

Västra hamnen consists of four parts according to the plan (the picture below is kind of old).

----------

I'll start off with the left part.

Buildings planned and u/c:

Malmö World Trade Center:

Ankarspelet I & II (appartments).

Scaniaparken swimming area. Since this part of Västra Hamnen has been totally crowded with sunbathing and swimming Malmöitians the last years, it has been decided to construct a real swimming area here. It is almost completed at the moment.

Barometern 39 (appartments). Construction started in march 2005.

Skansen 2 (appartments). This building has been completed.

Skansen 3 (appartments). Currently u/c.

Salongen 3 (appartments).

Salongen 20 (appartments).

Salongen 45 (appartments).

Södertorpsgården (appartments). This building is finished but I'm not sure if people have moved in yet.

Hytten 4 (appartments).

Hytten 5 (appartments).

Hytten 8 (appartments).

Turning Torso (offices/appartments). has been topped out and is completely finished on the outside. The second tallest appartment building in Europe at 190 m. The tallest skyscraper in the S&B:s. Was elected the best appartment building in the world at a convention in Cannes, France in the winter.

Turning Torso parking garage. Finished on the outside.

Kaptenshusen (appartments).

Studeum:

Flagghusen:

---------------

The center and largest part of Västra Hamnen.

Projects planned and under construction:

The Esplanade (boulevard through the Västra Hamnen area).

On this pic you can see that Västra Hamnen really is a collosal area, and that the whole area is planned for construction.

Kv. Flaggskepparen & Kommendörkaptenen (appartments).

Public school (not named yet). Planned to be finished in 2009.

Convention centre area (old SAAB factory). The swedish supermarket chain ICA will have their largest store in Sweden inside this building.

Public park.

North of the public park. Appartment buildings will be constructed here. It is still under planning though.

Stapelbäddsparken (skateboard park). Largest skateboard park in northern Europe will attract skaters from all over Europe.

Västra hamnporten KB (office buildings). 13000 m2 of office buildings.

The re-positioning of Västra varvsgatan. This street makes a turn over the canal today, but in the future it will be the opposite. The canal will be moved and the street's path will be changed to make better connections between this part of Västra Hamnen and Ribergsborg etc.

-----------------

The right part of Västra Hamnen.

Projects planned and under construction:

Dockan. Appartment buildings around the old dock where Kockumskranen (One of the tallest boat cranes in the world, sold to Hyundai a couple of years ago) was situated. One highrise is planned here, and is visible in the top left corner of the picture below. Cafés, restaurants and stores are being build in the bottom floors of the buildings in Dockan.

Dockan Kv. Fyren (appartments). This building is completed.

Dockan Kv. Kajmästaren (appartments). U/C.

Dockan Kv. Kranen (appartments). The planned highrise is visible here, next to the Sigma building (completed).

Dockan Kv. Piren (appartments).

Dockplatsen (marina and public square). This is where the highrise is planned, and I think I read something about a cinema complex being built here aswell.

The highrise. Unfortunately I can't find any rendering of it, but it will be the third tallest skyscraper in Malmö upon completion.
80 metres, 19floors, approved:

Koggen (office buildings). 3 office buildings are u/c opposite the Kockum's HQ highrise.

Skånes Dansteater (Dance theathre of Scania). This institution is situated inside an old industrial building which has been renovated and modernized.

-----------------------

The lower part of Västra Hamnen.

Bagers plats (parking- and open space). This area is going to have bicycle parkings, an underground parking garage for cars, and entrances/exits to the City Tunnel station. In the top of this picture, Nyhamnen is visible.

The old Kockum's area. This area consists of old industrial buildings used for constructing windmills. The contracts will end in 2013 and the owner will not re-sign them. Instead, the industrial buildings will be renovated and transformed to appartment buildings.

Hjälmarekajen. Office buildings are under construction along the waterfront.

Universitetsholmen. This is where the new teacher's university is being constructed. The buildings are actually finished on the outside, but I could find a picture of the finished buildings.
This is how the models looked like.

And U/C.

---------------------

Hyllievång (Hyllie Meadows)

Hyllievång is a completely new and massive part of Malmö, and will be growing up around the City Tunnel station which is under construction at the site. The area will have around 7000 homes, a event arena (will be the home of Malmö Redhawks), malls, offices, hotels and convention buildings. This is the area you arrive to when coming over the bridge from Copenhagen with train.

Satellite image of how the area looked a while ago (right now it is just a big construction site with caterpillars, cranes etc.

This is an overview of how the area will look like.

The City Tunnel station.

Hyllievång centre.

Overview.

The hotel which is going to be built instead of the 300 metre Scandinavian Tower. I think the design looks very cool. It is quite a difference between 80+ floors and three floors though.

The Arena (capacity 16000), approved:

Skyscrapers proposed for Hyllievång (one will be approved this month (August 2006)):

White Arkitekter
90 m

Arkitektfirmaet CF Möller A/S
180 m

Snöhetta A/S
180-200 m

Coop Himmelb(l)au
220 m

--------------

Nyhamnen (New Harbour)

Nyhamnen is the area north of the present central station and has been kind of dead the last decades. Actually a couple of highrises stands here right now (Slagthuset and Öresundshuset). This area will look like Västra Hamnen but of course smaller. It will have about 2500 appartments and 250000 m2 of office space. With the exploition of this area, Malmö city centre will extend in the north and reach out to the water.

Nyhamnen will consist of 8 areas:
*Bryggorna
*Holmen
*Mittpunkten
*Silotorget
*Skeppsbron
*Öster
*Centralen
*Hamnparken

This is how the area will look like. The white buildings are already there, and the blue buildings will be constructed.

The university bridge (small "replica" of the Öresund bridge) connects Västra Hamnen with the upcoming Nyhamnen.

------------------

Citytunneln

One of the largest infrastructural projects in Swedish history, Citytunneln, is currently under construction in Malmö, and will be finished in 2010-2011.
The Citytunneln project consists of 17 km railway through Malmö City, major extension of Malmö Central Station and construction of two new stations - Triangeln and Hyllievång.
The tunnel project will give a huge boost the the railway traffic in south of Sweden and in Öresundsregionen. Malmö Central Station is currently a "sack station" where trains bound for CPH have to stop and turn around when coming from north. After the completion of Citytunneln, the trains will run below the city of Malmö and directly onto the bridge. The tunnel will also give a boost to the mass transit system in Malmö metropolitan area, and will eventually form a "cityring" in Malmö.

Malmö Central Station Extension:

Triangeln station.

Hyllievång (old pic, since Scandinavian Tower is on this map).

This is what the area around Malmö Central Station looks today.

The planned cityring in Malmö.

The future commuter train system of Metro Malmö (Red lines and stations are planned - blue are existing).

Citytunneln U/C stations webcameras:

--------------------

New football stadium for Malmö FF. Capacity 28000 - approved.

The contruction of Sweden's first Buddhist temple will take place in Oxie, in the east parts of Malmö. The surrounding environment will have gardenlike characteristics and the building itself will consist of two connected house-bodies in 2 floors.

The temple is being built on order of the Vietnamese Buddhist Culture association in Malmö.

Slussplan. 13 floors. Approved.

Innovationernas Hus (House of Innovations) - Delta 1:
Height: 68 metres
Storeys: 18
Total area: 13 300 m2

Staden's Entré (Entrance of the City):

Three options for the revival of Davidhall's Sq.

I guess I'll update the thread if there's any interest.

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Great thread staff!

Its going to be very interesting to see which of the four amazing Hyllievång proposals who gets approved this months!
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #3
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I have always admired Scandinavian architecture (as we as Dutch). Bold, beautiful building styles that just make you say 'wow.' I would love to live in any of those apartments.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

Although this thread doesn't feature too many highrises (as you mentioned), it's extremely detailed and an absolute pleasure to read. I only hope you can research more to write about, but I fear you have already covered it all.

Keep up the good work.
Lord_Bertrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #5
jason poon
A Hongkonger

Likes (Received): 1

beautiful Malmo,
beautiful landscape (golf club?),
beautiful waterfront.
jason poon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #6
unfriendly

Likes (Received): 0

That three-floor hotel was quite amazing
unfriendly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

Architectureally many amazing project! I even liked some of the lowrise architecture!
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #8
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

Awesome architecture.

Scandinavia is the future!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #9
DrasQue
Lightbringer

Likes (Received): 2

I love to see this in real life

Old August 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #10
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

yes, me too.

absolut great projects, i love malmö.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #11
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

stunning! i hope more projects to come in the near future.
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #12
Mickey_R

Great post staff. I must say that Malmö or the western harbout has some of the nicest looking lowrise buildings that I have seen so far around the world. And yes they also have the nicest skyscraper I've ever seen. You might say that it's the best of both worlds.

Looking forward to see which one of the four proposals that gets picked. I personally like them all. But if I was to choose I would pic the Snöhetta one. Why you might ask. Cause it's different and it just looks so sleek.

Mickey
Mickey_R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #13
staff
囧!

Wow, I'm surprised by the activity in this thread.

jason_poon,
Nope, that's not a park, but a regular park/green area. Malmö isn't called "the City of Parks" for nothing.
The green area in that picture will be developed quite soon though, I believe.

Here's pictures of a model of how the "entrance of Malmö" will look like when coming from Copenhagen by car, over the bridge. This project includes at least 2-3 mid/highrises. I'm not sure about height or floorcount, but AtlanticaC5 estimated it at 19 and 16 storeys respectively.

What you see in the front is the old limestone mill in southern Malmö which is planned to be developed as well (residentials along the the slopes of the big hole):

Here's a very low quality .pdf showing an overview of the particular area:
http://pof.capitex.se/pof/kalkbrotte...1061298524.pdf
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #14
staff
囧!

Oh, by the way - here's a pic taken by me last summer showing Malmö, the bridge, and Copenhagen - to give you an idea of how close the two cities are.

Sorry for the so-so quality - the photo is taken with a small point-n-shoot through a helicopter window.
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Van der Rohe
mies fan

Likes (Received): 221

Great development!

I'm really impressed by the quality of city planning in Malmo!!!
Van der Rohe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

keep going malmo . I may visit you again in the future.....
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM   #17
staff
囧!

You're welcome, VVVV.

Today, this 180 metres/53storey tower was approved in Malmö. The tower's current name is "Malmö Tower" (), and the final height doesn't seem to be determined yet. The developer said that he's not affraid of bumping it up above 200 metres.

Anyway, if it stays at 180 metres it will still be the second tallest skyscraper in Malmö, Sweden and Nordic Europe as a whole.

Good news for skyscraper enthusiast in Northern Europe.
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM   #18
Mr Bigglesworth

Is the tower residential? Who is the developer?
Mr Bigglesworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM   #19
staff
囧!

Yes, the tower is going to be a residential, and the developer is Annehem (www.annehem.se).
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:34 AM   #20
Billabong

Likes (Received): 49

Tak
I am an spanish boy and i was in malmö last december(Denmark too) just for a day(a day trip)but i liked it a lot....and i saw the turning torso....wowowowowowow wonderful tower....congratulation.
The architector is spanish, calatrava....i think he is one of the best in the world
Bye Adios
Billabong no está en línea   Reply With Quote