daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.99 average.
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
madrasi7777

Likes (Received): 138

Restaurants, eat outs, signature restaurants and speciality restaurants in Chennai

This thread is to spot and review all the restaurants in Chennai. The address and phone numbers of new, old and upcoming restaurants would be welcome.
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
madrasi7777

Ecstasy Lounge- This is a speciality dessert restaurant located in Sathyam Complex in Royapettah. Outstanding menu. The Best tiramisu in Chennai. Tel no. - +914443920444
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Sathisht77

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777
Ecstasy Lounge- This is a speciality dessert restaurant located in Sathyam Complex in Royapettah. Outstanding menu. The Best tiramisu in Chennai. Tel no. - +914443920444
Fully agree..these days before or after every movie, i have to dig into their Tiramisu
Sathisht77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4
iaafosc

Likes (Received): 235

oi Madrasi...great thread....can you post some pics too...(not of the food ,but perhaps of the restaurant ) ...would make it more interesting
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
madrasi7777

Kryptos by Willi.

A brilliant Greek and Cypriot restaurant. Great food, Lovely service and Nice ambiance. Little pricey but the portions are big enough for two.

The address : Kader Nawaz Khan Road. off nungambakkam high road.

Tel - +91 44 45038001
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #6
vinodgopal

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
This thread is to spot and review all the restaurants in Chennai. The address and phone numbers of new, old and upcoming restaurants would be welcome.
Karthik tiffin stall in 12th mainroad annanagar is famous for its dosas. Be sure to visit this place
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM   #7
whrhotel

Likes (Received): 7

The Saravana Bhavan is one of the finest restaurant that I have visited. Its Dosa, Sambhar and Chutney is really very tasty.
whrhotel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
deandany

Likes (Received): 69

Can anyone suggest any restaurant (not sweet shops) where we can get authentic south indian items like payasam, akkara vadisal, vellai appam, sweet appam, athirasam and other south indian items?

I always keep seeing only bengali sweets, gulab jamun being served in the name of south indian sweets

I need to take my Bengali friend outside and I want to make him taste such authentic SI sweets.

has anyone tried GSS / Amirtham, looks to be the only one which is close to authentic?

HSB has a very poor listing and nothing is authentic.
deandany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
ranga

Likes (Received): 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandany View Post
Can anyone suggest any restaurant (not sweet shops) where we can get authentic south indian items like payasam, akkara vadisal, vellai appam, sweet appam, athirasam and other south indian items?

I always keep seeing only bengali sweets, gulab jamun being served in the name of south indian sweets

I need to take my Bengali friend outside and I want to make him taste such authentic SI sweets.

has anyone tried GSS / Amirtham, looks to be the only one which is close to authentic?

Its surprising that these items are served in hotels as i have never come across one except some serving payasam along with meals.akkara vadisal a typical iyengar delicacy is not known to many even in TN.its good idea if these items are served in hotels.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
ppn123

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:

the most authenctic would probably be available at some body's kitchen..
ppn123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
proprashanth

Likes (Received): 966

Quote:

It's very hard to find these items in a restaurant. But you may find these in few mami's mess' located in mylapore kabaleeswarar temple madaveethi streets( mostly east and south). I remember having some these items you mentioned in karpagambal mess in east madaveethi street.
proprashanth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
murlee
ВANNED

Likes (Received): 4153

Maybe u can try out some of these items in big temples in Chennai where they sell many traditional Tamil sweets as prasadams..
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Cygnus-X1

Likes (Received): 578

How about Ponnusamy tandoori? The name may sound funny, but food is cheap & good.
Had a few meals there when I visited chennai.
Try seafood options & plantain leaf meals.
Tel: 43577450 (Adyar - 24916902)
Cygnus-X1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Madurai gilli

Likes (Received): 581

Judgement delayed is judgement denied !
Madurai gilli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #15
madrasi7777

I love this place. Have you tried the new branch next to fish and fresh just off Shanti Colony in Anna Nagar? It is quite good. The Rava Kichdi is outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodgopal View Post
Karthik tiffin stall in 12th mainroad annanagar is famous for its dosas. Be sure to visit this place
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #16
madrasi7777

Hi Gilli,
Thanks for this.

I am surprised that in the Thai section "Grand Siam" in Anna Nagar is omitted. To me this is easily one the the best Thai food I have had not only in Chennai but in India itself. The main chef of Benjarong is the owner of this place.

Have Times City.com done there home work? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madurai gilli View Post
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM   #17
tamilbala

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
The A2B in MG Road, besent Nagar sells most of these in the evening.
For good sakaraii pongal, any Murugan Idly would do...
Athirasam, shop opp to Big St vinyak temple, triplicane
Karpagambal mess some time has it.

If you go to Karpagambal mess, check out Mami mess(few yrds from it) and Rose milk(Kalathy shop again nearby)
tamilbala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #18
Chebang

Likes (Received): 37

Has someone visited annapoorana..in mount road..I have not..it is a speciality restaurant..VIPs serve there and it is damn costly..but the hotel is run for charity...you pay whatever u want after food..they serve dishes like..thamarai thandu kootu..thalamboo rasam...etc etc..
Once again..I have'nt visited this place..but got this info from very reliable source...
Chebang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #19
udhaya

Likes (Received): 449

i have heard ''marina'' is the latest seafood jpint,and it rocks started by ''hot breads'' mahadevan may be thro his oriental cuisine.has anyone eaten there?
udhaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #20
sridhar_n

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebang
Has someone visited annapoorana..in mount road..I have not..it is a speciality restaurant..VIPs serve there and it is damn costly..but the hotel is run for charity...you pay whatever u want after food..they serve dishes like..thamarai thandu kootu..thalamboo rasam...etc etc..
Once again..I have'nt visited this place..but got this info from very reliable source...
They have such an outlet in coimbatore also and in Perth too.
sridhar_n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, restaurants

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: