daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

Chennai Sports & Sports Infrastructure

Sporting and related infrastructure updates from city of Chennai.

Aditya — India's chess wonderkid



Six-year-old M. Aditya (1492) has become the youngest rated Indian chess player, according to the January 2011 list released by FIDE, the international chess body.

Initiated into the sport at the age of two, Aditya has shown considerable progress in quick time. Aditya, who is the reigning Chennai District under-7 champion, trains at T. Nagar Chess Academy. Srinivasa Rangan, personal coach of Aditya says, “Usually it is difficult to teach Knight movements to beginners. But this kid was very special and he hit the ground running. It was amazing to see him play a full game when he was a little more than three years old.”

Arvind, Aditya's elder brother, is a FIDE-rated chess player and that has helped in shaping his skills. “Chess has helped him learn computers as well. He used to play chess on the internet when he was four. He could not read and icons were his only guides,” said Meenakshi, Aditya's mother.

SRC: http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/18/stor...1858072000.htm
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

Chennai Open chess from today

The India Cements Chennai Open International chess tournament, which will be held from January 18 to 26, was inaugurated at the Multipurpose Indoor Stadium, Periamet, here on Monday.

GM Areshchenko Alexanderthe of Ukraine, the highest rated player in the fray and winner of the just concluded Parsvnath International Open at Delhi, and former World Junior Champions Russian WGM Vera Nebolsina and GM Abhijeet Gupta, flagged off the tournament.

The tournament boasts of a strong field, featuring 25 GMs, 36 IMs, 3 WGMs among more than 320 players (41 international entries) who have registered.

A solid Indian contingent, including the likes of GM Abhijit Kunte, IM S.P. Sethuraman, GM B. Adhiban, GM Arun Prasad, GM Neelotpal Das, GM Deepan Chakkravarthy and GM R. Laxman will also be seen in action.

The 11-round Swiss-format tournament comes with a prize pool of over Rs. 10 lakh with the winner taking home Rs. 2 lakh. Apart from the prize money, the strength of the field will also present an ideal opportunity for the players to log in GM, IM, WGM and WIM norms. The games on the top boards can also be followed online at www.indianchessfed.org and www.tamilchess.com.

D.V. Sundar, Vice-President, FIDE, thanked the sponsors India Cements and ONGC for their commitment to the development of the sport in the country.

Satyabrata Sahoo, Member Secretary, SDAT, presided over the function, while J.S. Sekhon, Group General Manager, ONGC, was the guest of honour.

SRC: http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/18/stor...1857622000.htm
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #3
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu
 
wlbkng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BRU <- SWI <- MAA
Posts: 2,849
Likes (Received): 788

Site identified for Chennai Sports City

The Tamil Nadu government has identified Thiruvidanthai on the East Coast Road (ECR) and eight other nearby villages to establish Chennai Sports City in 1,500 acres in the Kancheepuram district.

The proposed site will start from Thiruvidanthai and end at Saluvankuppam on the ECR; and from Kalavakkam to Paiyanur on the Old Mahabalipuram Road in the Chengalpattu Taluk of the district. The site will be surrounded by Thiruporur, Kelambakkam, Kovalam and the Mahabalipuram township.

In May, the State government announced that due to the fast development of employment opportunities on the Rajiv Gandhi Salai (IT Corridor) there is need to develop social infrastructure in nearby areas. In the proposed Chennai Sports City, a multi-purpose outdoor and indoor stadia, training schools, sports facilities, hostels for sports persons and sports medical centre will be created.

Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (Tidco), which has been mandated by the State government to establish the mega project, intends to engage a consultant to carry out ‘Land Utilisation Plan,' including Techno Economic Feasibility Study for the sports city, according to a Tidco request for proposal (RFP) to identify a suitable consultant to undertake the study.

Study

The study will include identification of various options for better utilisation of the entire 3611.69 acres of land/project area.

The sports city aims to be a leading development project with a distinct focus on sport and sporting excellence that will attract local, regional and international participants. An all-compassing lifestyle of luxury, recreation, leisure, dynamism and enterprise, it will be a ‘vibrant township' under the empowering banner of sport, the RFP says.

The IT corridor houses numerous information technology and IT-enabled service companies, and educational institutions. Over a lakh employees are working in this stretch, and nearly 30,000 vehicles ply on any working day. Once all the industrial parks, including at Siruseri, are completed, the number of employees could cross over two lakh, according to sources.

While the Tamil Nadu Road Development Company Ltd is developing an IT (Information Technology) Express way from Madhya Kailash to Mahabalipuram, there is the Tidel IT Park, the Ascendas IT Park and TICEL Bio-Park located in the corridor.

Tidco, along with private promoters such as Tata and DLF, is developing two IT/ITES special economic zones (SEZs) on the corridor. SIPCOT is developing an IT SEZ at Siruseri, abutting the Rajiv Gandhi Salai. All these developments will and have already put a lot of pressure on the existing infrastructure facilities and there is need to develop social infrastructure, the RFP says.

Source: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0850831900.htm
wlbkng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #4
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

Tennis Stadium in Chennai



Nungambakkam Tennis Stadium. Seating Capacity: 5800. Year Built: 1997

India's only ATP men's tournament is held here.



The Indian team celebrate after a 3- 2 victory against Brazil in 2010 Davis cup.
courtesy: http://www.tn-tennis.com/display.asp?id=297
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #5
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

Jawaharlal Nehru stadium (Outdoor and Indoor)

View of outdoor stadium where Football and Athletics are conducted:





Location: Periamet. Outdoor Seating Capacity: 40,000.

Foot Ball Field - Grass ( International Standard) Athletic Track - 400 Mts. Eight lane synthetic Track .
International standard Volleyball court - 3 Numbers.
Flood lighting - for Football and Athletics.
Electronic Score Board, Circuit TV, Lift facilities, Crowd Control system, A/C. Media hall and Conference hall.

Public Address System, Photo finish room facilities, Physiotherapy hall and commentators room (AIR/TV) accommodation facilities.

View of multi-purpose Indoor Stadium:



Indoor Seating Capactiy: 7,900

Volley ball, Basket ball, Table Tennis, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling, Weight lifting - Centralised Air-Conditioning, Circuit TV, Octagonal spectator gallery with an unobstructed view from all sides, Car Parking, Players lobby, players change room, players room, Delegates room, dining room, conditioning and Massage room, dope testing, referee room, Dormitory, First aid, VIP lobby, lounge meeting room and PA System
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #6
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

Chennai Superkings IPL-4 auctioned capped players

Player Nation Purchased price Role

1 MS Dhoni India $1.8 million Batsman
2 Suresh Raina India $1.3 million All-rounder
3 Murali Vijay India $900,000 Batsmen
4 Albie Morkel South Africa $500,000 All-rounder
5 Michael Hussey Australia $425,000 Batsman
6 Wriddhiman Saha India $100,000 Wicket-keeper
7 Dwayne Bravo West Indies $200,000 All-rounder
8 Doug Bollinger Australia $700,000 Bowler
9 R Ashwin India $850,000 Bowler
10 S Badrinath India $800,000 Batsman
11 Scott Styris New Zealand $200,000 All-rounder
12 Ben Hilfenhaus Australia $100,000 Bowler
13 Joginder Sharma India $150,000 Bowler
14 Nuwan Kulasekara Sri Lanka $100,000 Bowler
15 Sudeep Tyagi India $240,000 Bowler
16 Suraj Randiv Sri Lanka $80,000 Bowler
17 George Bailey Australia $50,000 Batsman
18 Faf du Plessis South Africa $120,000 Batsman


Read more: Chennai Super Kings - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...#ixzz1BLtZ1gLm
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #7
TShyam
Registered User
 
TShyam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,438
Likes (Received): 82

Nice thread. Here is info about Irungattukotai Race Track, the spiritual home of Indian racing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irungattukottai_Race_Track

The Irungattukottai Race Track is a permanent motor racing circuit located in Irungattukottai, Sriperumbudur, Chennai, India. It was built in the late 80s. The Madras Motor Sports Club is owning and operating the racing.

The full Circuit is 3.717 kilometres (2.310 mi) long. It has 12 turns and 3 straights. The Club Circuit is 2.067 kilometres (1.280 mi) long and has 7 turns. Both tracks are 11 metres wide. Irungattukottai Race Track is an FIA and Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme certified circuit.
__________________
Peak oil isn't running out of oil. It means that the cost of incremental supply exceeds the price economies can pay without destroying growth. - Chris Skrebrowski
I'd put my money on solar energy. I hope we don't have to wait till oil and coal run out before we tackle that. - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, March 1931.
TShyam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #8
kannan infratech
Moderator
 
kannan infratech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 8,140
Likes (Received): 3717

Good Initiative! Satishanu!

I hope that TN Govt gives enough importance to Sports Infra so that we get continuous info to post here.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #9
d_raji
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 50
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishanu View Post
View of outdoor stadium where Football and Athletics are conducted:





Location: Periamet. Outdoor Seating Capacity: 40,000.

Foot Ball Field - Grass ( International Standard) Athletic Track - 400 Mts. Eight lane synthetic Track .
International standard Volleyball court - 3 Numbers.
Flood lighting - for Football and Athletics.
Electronic Score Board, Circuit TV, Lift facilities, Crowd Control system, A/C. Media hall and Conference hall.

Public Address System, Photo finish room facilities, Physiotherapy hall and commentators room (AIR/TV) accommodation facilities.
The opening day is still fresh in my memory.. i don;t remember the date, but it was early Jan i think.. the DD was the only channel.. and england has come to India for Cricket Series.. i see on TV.. morning is the Test match and in evening is the inauguration of this stadium live ( fascinated by the 3 tier structure.. so want to watch more.. ) .... man what should i do..?? i have to go to school too....

so as usual in our school days... Early morning Stomach ace... cannot bear the pain.. it was so hard.. i cannot go to school... mom. give a sad look.. father says.. sure.. ? wanna go to doctor.. i said.. no.. i will be fine.. ( but how to say , wanna take leave today ? ) .. brother give me a jealous look ( as he too want to stay and watch.. ) .. then got permission to stay home.. hurray..... stomach ace gone as soon as father gone to office and brother gone to school... All day watch cricket and evening the inaguration by then CM Jayalalita..
d_raji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #10
madrasi7777
Registered User
 
madrasi7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 910
Likes (Received): 135

good idea to bring in this thread
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #11
madrasi7777
Registered User
 
madrasi7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 910
Likes (Received): 135

Sad to see this facility is used more to hold political and music programes than for sports itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishanu View Post
View of outdoor stadium where Football and Athletics are conducted:





Location: Periamet. Outdoor Seating Capacity: 40,000.

Foot Ball Field - Grass ( International Standard) Athletic Track - 400 Mts. Eight lane synthetic Track .
International standard Volleyball court - 3 Numbers.
Flood lighting - for Football and Athletics.
Electronic Score Board, Circuit TV, Lift facilities, Crowd Control system, A/C. Media hall and Conference hall.

Public Address System, Photo finish room facilities, Physiotherapy hall and commentators room (AIR/TV) accommodation facilities.

View of multi-purpose Indoor Stadium:



Indoor Seating Capactiy: 7,900

Volley ball, Basket ball, Table Tennis, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling, Weight lifting - Centralised Air-Conditioning, Circuit TV, Octagonal spectator gallery with an unobstructed view from all sides, Car Parking, Players lobby, players change room, players room, Delegates room, dining room, conditioning and Massage room, dope testing, referee room, Dormitory, First aid, VIP lobby, lounge meeting room and PA System
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #12
ezhilan81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Likes (Received): 2

What a coincidence. Only yesterday I thought we need to have a separate thread for sports related infrastructure and today I find one. Kudos to Satishanu.

My contribution for today - Nungamabakkam Tennis Stadium during Chennai Open 2011



After a drizzle
ezhilan81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #13
MyNation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 317
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlbkng View Post
The Tamil Nadu government has identified Thiruvidanthai on the East Coast Road (ECR) and eight other nearby villages to establish Chennai Sports City in 1,500 acres in the Kancheepuram district.

The proposed site will start from Thiruvidanthai and end at Saluvankuppam on the ECR; and from Kalavakkam to Paiyanur on the Old Mahabalipuram Road in the Chengalpattu Taluk of the district. The site will be surrounded by Thiruporur, Kelambakkam, Kovalam and the Mahabalipuram township.

In May, the State government announced that due to the fast development of employment opportunities on the Rajiv Gandhi Salai (IT Corridor) there is need to develop social infrastructure in nearby areas. In the proposed Chennai Sports City, a multi-purpose outdoor and indoor stadia, training schools, sports facilities, hostels for sports persons and sports medical centre will be created.

Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (Tidco), which has been mandated by the State government to establish the mega project, intends to engage a consultant to carry out ‘Land Utilisation Plan,' including Techno Economic Feasibility Study for the sports city, according to a Tidco request for proposal (RFP) to identify a suitable consultant to undertake the study.

Study

The study will include identification of various options for better utilisation of the entire 3611.69 acres of land/project area.

The sports city aims to be a leading development project with a distinct focus on sport and sporting excellence that will attract local, regional and international participants. An all-compassing lifestyle of luxury, recreation, leisure, dynamism and enterprise, it will be a ‘vibrant township' under the empowering banner of sport, the RFP says.

The IT corridor houses numerous information technology and IT-enabled service companies, and educational institutions. Over a lakh employees are working in this stretch, and nearly 30,000 vehicles ply on any working day. Once all the industrial parks, including at Siruseri, are completed, the number of employees could cross over two lakh, according to sources.

While the Tamil Nadu Road Development Company Ltd is developing an IT (Information Technology) Express way from Madhya Kailash to Mahabalipuram, there is the Tidel IT Park, the Ascendas IT Park and TICEL Bio-Park located in the corridor.

Tidco, along with private promoters such as Tata and DLF, is developing two IT/ITES special economic zones (SEZs) on the corridor. SIPCOT is developing an IT SEZ at Siruseri, abutting the Rajiv Gandhi Salai. All these developments will and have already put a lot of pressure on the existing infrastructure facilities and there is need to develop social infrastructure, the RFP says.

Source: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0850831900.htm
is this coming up in vandalur - kelambakkam road ? this url says its close to uni world city which is coming up in V-K Road.can someone shed more light on the exact location of this project ?
MyNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #14
H Factor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 496
Likes (Received): 29

Sports university (125 acres) is coming up in vandalur kelambakkam road. The sports city (3100 acres) is coming up in OMR. Both are different projects
H Factor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #15
MyNation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 317
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Factor View Post
Sports university (125 acres) is coming up in vandalur kelambakkam road. The sports city (3100 acres) is coming up in OMR. Both are different projects
Alright! Thanks for the information
MyNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:46 AM   #16
satishanu
Registered User
 
satishanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,430
Likes (Received): 511

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anand-k...s/chennaiopen/
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM   #17
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu
 
wlbkng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BRU <- SWI <- MAA
Posts: 2,849
Likes (Received): 788

No clear favourites for the World Cup: Hayden


The Hindu Retired Australian cricketer Mathew Hayden launches his autobiography `Standing My Ground’ at Citi Centre in Chennai on Wednesday. Photo: S.S. Kumar


Quote:
Former Australian opening great Matthew Hayden was guarded when asked about the favourites for the forthcoming ICC World Cup.

Interacting with the media and the fans while promoting his book `Standing My Ground' at Landmark here on Wednesday, Hayden said, “It will be a near thing between India, Sri Lanka and Australia. It would be hard to pick one team over the other. South Africa and England come next.”

Hayden said India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni headed a bunch with the right blend of experience and youth. “India has some very promising young cricketers. It also has the legendary Sachin Tendulkar on whom the cricketing gods are smiling.”

The Aussie added, “In Dhoni, India has a captain who is calm and unruffled even when things around him are chaotic. He has the ability to bring the team together, which is the quality of a very good leader. I enjoyed playing under Dhoni for the Chennai Super Kings.”

'Ponting will fight back'

Dwelling on the illustrious Ricky Ponting's struggle for runs in the Ashes, Hayden said, “He has had a rough couple of months. But he is a gifted batsman and a warrior. He will fight back in the World Cup.”

............................

............................

Hayden called Chennai his city of destiny and said he was proud that he represented a franchise that he respected in the IPL. “It has been a honour playing for the CSK at a venue, Chepauk, that I love. It is a memory that I will cherish.”


....................

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricke...cle1150116.ece
__________________
Smile costs nothing :)
wlbkng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #18
ChennaiIndian
Registered User
 
ChennaiIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,802
Likes (Received): 82

National Games: Chennai girl becomes youngest swimmer to win medal

http://www.sify.com/news/national-ga...prEmaihjd.html

Ranchi, Feb 15 (IANS) Chennai girl A.V. Jayveena Tuesday became the youngest swimmer in the history of National Games to win medals.

The 12-year-old Jayveena, representing Tamil Nadu, won bronzes in the 200 meters breaststroke and relay. In breaststroke, Jayveena competed with experienced Delhi girl Richa Mishra, who has won four gold medals in the meet so far.

Jayaveena's father Thalai Vassal Vijay was proud of his daughter's achievement.

...
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #19
ChennaiIndian
Registered User
 
ChennaiIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,802
Likes (Received): 82

Thumbs up IPL 4 will start & end in Chennai

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...hennai_1508504

Even as the stage is being set for the start of the World Cup, Indian Premier League (IPL) authorities, too, are keeping things in motion.

In a couple of days, they are likely to announce the schedule for the fourth edition of the T20 event.

It has been reliably learnt that IPL 4 will take off in Chennai on April 8, just six days after the World Cup final in Mumbai on April 2. The inaugural match will be played between Chennai Super Kings and Kolkata Knight Riders.

The MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chepauk, Chennai, will also host the ‘qualifier’ and the final. These matches will be played on May 27 and 28. Mumbai will host the semifinal, rather the first two matches of the play-offs, on May 24 and 25.

...
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #20
Indian Sun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai | Seattle
Posts: 4,065
Likes (Received): 273

Good. Instead of the final being in Mumbai all the time.
__________________
500px | flickr |
Indian Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu