daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #181
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

My girlfriend and I were walking on Clark Street, between Fullerton and Diversey.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anybody know what is happening in the Blockbuster Video space that is being vacated at Clark and Wrightwood?
2. What is going on in the strip mall on the West side of Clark just south of Wrightwood? The mall begins with Gigo's Beef Stand which has been vacated for a while now. There are now 3 storefronts that are empty and I have a feeling that the remaining 3 might be working out their leases for something bigger.
3. (and yes, I know this is a bit north of Diversey) What is going on at the Walgreens at Clark and Diversey? and anybody know what is going on at the store directly next to the Walgreen's on Broadway? (Between where the Walgreens stood and Cleaners Depot)

This neighborhood has a ton of foot traffic, so new 'foot traffic friendly' stores would be awesome.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #182
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
1. Does anybody know what is happening in the Blockbuster Video space that is being vacated at Clark and Wrightwood?
I wasn't aware Blockbuster was planning to leave. Where did you hear that?

Quote:
2. What is going on in the strip mall on the West side of Clark just south of Wrightwood? The mall begins with Gigo's Beef Stand which has been vacated for a while now. There are now 3 storefronts that are empty and I have a feeling that the remaining 3 might be working out their leases for something bigger.
I've never noticed a "strip mall" there. To me, a strip mall is a group of connected storefronts recessed from the sidewalk to accommodate parking. Gigo's has supposedly been "remodeling" their restaurant. But very little activity has occurred for almost a year, so I can't say for sure what its ultimate fate will be. I miss their meatball subs.

Quote:
3. (and yes, I know this is a bit north of Diversey) What is going on at the Walgreens at Clark and Diversey?
As the sign on the door states, Walgreen's will be closed until Fall 2007 for expansion and remodeling. An additional floor may be added, though I can't say for sure.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #183
BFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I wasn't aware Blockbuster was planning to leave. Where did you hear that?
By walking past the Blockbuster. They are not renting out movies after April 8th, and the memberships have been trasferred to a ~2500 N Ashland location.

Quote:
I've never noticed a "strip mall" there. To me, a strip mall is a group of connected storefronts recessed from the sidewalk to accommodate parking. Gigo's has supposedly been "remodeling" their restaurant. But very little activity has occurred for almost a year, so I can't say for sure what its ultimate fate will be. I miss their meatball subs.
Ok, not quite your surburban "strip mall" but rather a string of retail storefronts probably owned by the same landlord. I apologize if this confused you. My question still stands though, and what kind of remodel takes a year?

Quote:
As the sign on the door states, Walgreen's will be closed until Fall 2007 for expansion and remodeling. An additional floor may be added, though I can't say for sure.
Thanks. It's a busy intersection, and I was a bit surprised that they would shut it down.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #184
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
By walking past the Blockbuster. They are not renting out movies after April 8th, and the memberships have been trasferred to a ~2500 N Ashland location.
The area will be seriously underserved by Blockbuster, though it doesn't matter to me because I rarely rent movies. And when I did go there, the selection was pretty paltry. They didn't even have Psycho. These rental stores must be losing ground to the internet rental market, thereby forcing closures.

Quote:
My question still stands though, and what kind of remodel takes a year?
I agree. It's strange. In the time that restaurant has lay fallow, Trump Tower has added countless floors. Maybe there's a contractual dispute over the work.

Quote:
It's a busy intersection, and I was a bit surprised that they would shut it down.
Same here. But there's another Walgreen's on Belden and Clark.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #185
eelton

Lincoln Park 2520

I'm surprised no one has posted recently on Lincoln Park 2520 (the condo building planned for the former Columbus Hospital site). I was pondering buying there, but it's hard to pull the trigger for that much money. They're also very inflexible regarding customization--you can't change floor plans at all, and even the hardware and finishes to choose from seem limited.

I'm also not excited about the outside appearance, which is very traditional. Here's a big photo:
http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/425/177425.jpg

According to the article in the Tribune, they're selling fast:

Sales brisk for planned Lincoln Park 2520 condo development

BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE
Published April 18, 2007

After just three weeks of public marketing, 104 of the 314 units in the first large condo building planned for Lincoln Park since the 1970s are under purchase agreements with 10 percent deposits, said the developer, John T. Murphy, co-principal of Ricker-Murphy Development LLC.

Despite a slowing housing market elsewhere, the units at Lincoln Park 2520, located at 2520 N. Lakeview Ave., have sold for $825 to $1,200 a square foot, or $750,000 to $9.9 million per condominium. Ricker-Murphy's partner is an affiliate of the General Electric Pension Trust.

By year's end, construction should start on the building designed by Lucien Lagrange. Occupancy is planned for early 2010.

The approximately $355 million building, which will have parking for 710 cars, will face the park and have views of the lake and the city skyline.
eelton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #186
stlmike

Quote:
Quote:
It's a busy intersection, and I was a bit surprised that they would shut it down.
Same here. But there's another Walgreen's on Belden and Clark.
There's also one literally ONE block away at Diversey and Halsted. It's kind of obscenely close, actually.
stlmike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #187
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Images of the New City development

Landscaping

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #188
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Wow what a difference a color rendering makes (which I suspect will have the same effect for the Arquitectonica building once it's released).
Thanks spyguy!
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #189
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIsentinel View Post

Wow what a difference a color rendering makes (which I suspect will have the same effect for the Arquitectonica building once it's released).
Thanks spyguy!
I'm not thrilled with the parking lot.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #190
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Looks pretty darn good. If there is one thing to improve on I wouldn't mind them rising the height of the two lower mid-rises to the height of the tallest there. In the future with a circle line that area will become an even greater prospect for massive TOD that could support massive density.

......Actually, looking at the article again I guess there are enough units already. The towers may just look smaller to me in relation to the whole footprint and retail base of the project.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 16th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #191
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I'm not thrilled with the parking lot.
Ditto. Though, overall, the design isn't too bad.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #192
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Ditto. Though, overall, the design isn't too bad.
It's a parking garage.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #193
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creil View Post
It's a parking garage.
Yeah - what appears to be a lot is actually the roof of the parking garage.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #194
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

My friend who attends Depaul has a place in Lincoln Park. I was wondering what are the boundries or close too of Lincoln Park? Where does it end and start around? Love the area.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #195
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

If anyone could add a map it would help also. Not too familar with just street names in chi-town.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #196
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIL Mike View Post
My friend who attends Depaul has a place in Lincoln Park. I was wondering what are the boundries or close too of Lincoln Park? Where does it end and start around? Love the area.
The northern border is Diversey. The southern border is arguable. Some, like myself, consider it to be Wisconsin, where Old Town begins. Others say it's North Ave. East is Lake Michigan. West is Clybourn.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #197
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Images of the New City development

Landscaping

Pardon my ignorance, but where will this be located?
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #198
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^Halsted and Clybourn
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #199
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
^Halsted and Clybourn
Thanks. This design will fit that area well.
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #200
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
^Halsted and Clybourn
Oh wow, I live right off Halsted and Clybourn, I didn't even know this was going there... Wait, what are the borders of this??
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote