daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #201
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I really look forward to this project. As Shawn pointed out at SSP, the most prominent aspect will be the modern flatiron building at the corner. It's fitting, since the famous Flatiron building in NYC was designed by a Chicago architect.

While I doubt that this structure will become anything close to iconic (but I woundn't mind a pleasant surprise), it's good to see some good corner-defining buildings make a comeback. I remember an article somewhere a few years ago regarding "Disappearing Corners" in Chicago (I think it was in the Preservation Chicago website). It looks like some of these corners (and some new ones) are finally "reappearing".
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:55 AM   #202
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauterChicago View Post
Oh wow, I live right off Halsted and Clybourn, I didn't even know this was going there... Wait, what are the borders of this??
As if that area (east of the river) isn't busy enough .... we get this!

Wow. Quite an improvement from what it was 10 years ago.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM   #203
FreeRadical

VOID

Last edited by FreeRadical; December 15th, 2007 at 06:52 AM.
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #204
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
Unless you are trying to get through this area.

The biggest concern I have about this project is that it seems like it will really add to the traffic strangulation that already exists at North/Halsted/Clyborn. How much more congestion before the Halsted bus becomes totally worthless as a north-south route and the North Avenue bus becomes totally worthless as an east-west route?

I think the city should be taking a harder look at the impact that projects like this have on the transportation system. If they are going to allow high-density development into an area that already has inadequate roads and transit, they ought to be upgrading the transit systems that serve and run through it.
while i agree with you, if all developments waited until the public transportation was improved before they started any projects, nothing would get built
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:25 AM   #205
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
while i agree with you, if all developments waited until the public transportation was improved before they started any projects, nothing would get built
Which is the situation on NY's West Side, where there is no good subway access. This has basically kept the area from serious development. I know, West Side/Lincoln Park, totally different things, but I'm just drawing the parallel.

When transit is as important to lifestyle as it is in some neighborhoods in this city, the city needs to consider the transportation consequences of major projects.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #206
FreeRadical

VOID

Last edited by FreeRadical; December 15th, 2007 at 06:51 AM.
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #207
prelude91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
because of the configuration, location and traffic condidtions, it will be a drive-to destination fed primarily off of Division Street. If it succeeds, the effect will be to push the traffic logjam further south down Halsted and Clyborn, making a bad situation worse.

I dont understand why this has to be a drive-to destination. North/Clyborne (Red Line) Sedgewick (Brown and Purple line) and even Damon (Blue Line) are within walking distance to this.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #208
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I dont understand why this has to be a drive-to destination. North/Clyborne (Red Line) Sedgewick (Brown and Purple line) and even Damon (Blue Line) are within walking distance to this.

The Damen Blue line stop is a pretty long hike to North and Clybourn. At least a 1/2 hr.

IF the Circle Line is built, North and Clybourn would be a terminal/station. I could see the gas station on Halsted and North being demo'd in the future to make way for a major tranist station with the new Circle line and a possible new station for the Brown/Purple line. Instead of one line for that station, you'd have 4 lines bringing in people from as far as Evanston.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #209
creil

The bummer about the Halsted/Clybourn project is that they will have to demolish Cubs Care Park. Stupid name but a cool little ballfield.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #210
prelude91

I was thinking the same thing, its a nice park. Ill take the retail over the park though
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM   #211
creil

I was listening to a conversation on TV about how baseball hasn't done enough to make an impact on the urban youth. CC Park is a great venue for little league games and now it's to be taken away for more retail. I think there is plenty of opportunity to build around it and make the park a centerpiece of the neighborhood.
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #212
BFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
As the sign on the door states, Walgreen's will be closed until Fall 2007 for expansion and remodeling. An additional floor may be added, though I can't say for sure.
Oddly enough, I just walked past the Walgreen's this morning and the sign on the door said that it is reopening May 29th (as in tomorrow).

Interesting. I wonder if they aborted plans to gut the place or what. I do know that the shelves in the store were completely empty not 5-6 weeks ago, and they sure as heck didn't expand the store.

Oh, and a Noodles & Company is opening next to the Cleaners Depot on Broadway (next door to the Walgreen's). That will be a nice improvement over the last two dining/drinking establishments that have been there. I hope they stay a while.
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #213
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

The cladding on the British School building is up. It looks pretty cool, but very disconnected from the buildings around it.

Also, the first of the ParkSide buildings on the old Cabrini site at Division/Clybourn has started construction.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #214
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
Oh, and a Noodles & Company is opening next to the Cleaners Depot on Broadway (next door to the Walgreen's). That will be a nice improvement over the last two dining/drinking establishments that have been there. I hope they stay a while.
Hell yes, I love that place. Thanks for the scoop.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #215
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Clybourn Corridor Apple Store

- edit
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #216
BFA

Surprised Apple didn't want to move into the retail space created by the New City corridor (mentioned in post 187)
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #217
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I'm not really. This site is the most visible in the whole corridor. Plus it will be a stand alone store or the centerpiece where if was in the new YMCA development it would be a bit more inconspicuous among a large development. If they hadn't gotten this site then maybe the other would have been an option I am guessing.

Last edited by nomarandlee; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:06 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #218
prelude91

So glad to finally see that shitty gas station gone! Is Apple paying for the restoration/renovation of the North/Clybourn red line station?
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #219
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Demo is proceeding nicely at the old Columbus hospital site. The older building is coming down first. The parking lot behind it literally looks like something out of Dresden.
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #220
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Can you get some pictures?