daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM   #241
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

Regarding the Blockbuster on Fullerton. I know that DePaul owns that propoerty (or at least I have been told by a school official), so, could it be that they have plans for that block? I know there has been discussion of building a new Theater/Music school and that has been a rumored location. Does anyone have some insight on this? I DePaul going to be knocking that building down in the near future to replace with a university building?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM   #242
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
Regarding the Blockbuster on Fullerton. I know that DePaul owns that propoerty (or at least I have been told by a school official), so, could it be that they have plans for that block? I know there has been discussion of building a new Theater/Music school and that has been a rumored location. Does anyone have some insight on this? I DePaul going to be knocking that building down in the near future to replace with a university building?
That blockbuster and its minimall
there is a total waste of space,
it was nice for parking when i went to the lounge ax but
that is great that something is finally being done with it.

video stores are going the way of the doodoo anyways.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #243
BFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
If there is plans for something for that location, why'd they let a shoe store in?
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #244
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

And Now For Something Completely Different - some morning shots of Valerio Dewalt Train's British School bldg on Halstead:

Last edited by wrabbit; February 13th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #245
wrabbit

BTW, noticed this AM that the BP Station at North/Clybourn has closed, in prep I assume for the Apple Store complex?
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #246
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Thanks for the pics. That thing looks wicked
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #247
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

I was actually considering sending my daughter to that school. But she's in LaSalle L.A.A, soo it's a toss up... do I risk her education on an relatively unknown school and track record? It's hard to say, but the school is amazing... way better than what they have on the far North Side currently.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #248
tkelly1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
If there is plans for something for that location, why'd they let a shoe store in?
Well, I am not saying anything was concrete, but that is what I understood the campus master plan had in store for that block. I may be jumping the gun with this development and we are actually looking at nothing happening from the DePaul in for another 3-4 years. But, maybe somebody else would know dor sure....Is there anyone out there in the "Know" at DePaul?
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #249
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Another DePaul question: Does anyone know what's going on at the surface parking lot on the north side of Belden between Seminary and Clifton? The last time I walked by it looked like it was being prepped for construction of some kind. I randomly found this rendering of the site:
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #250
tkelly1986

yea, it is going to be a new Chemistry building, however, those renderings are old. The updated on the DePaul website if you look around a bit. Just type in Andrew Mcgowan and it will come up.

They have been planning this for a while, so that is one of the reasons I brough the fullerton block up, as I was wondering if there has been movement on the Theater School/Music school planning now that the Chemistry building has finally got under way.
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #251
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

This is what I found. Yipee. More bland, olde-tyme architecture:
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #252
tkelly1986

Bland, I agree, however, it does fit in with the majority of the buildings on campus and that is about all they can get past the neighbours. When the loft-right (albeit a DePaul affiliated property) was built, the non-DePaul residents through a fit. So, I would imagine any future construction will continue along this trajectory….However, even though it is bland, I still like the style much better that the SAC building. I believe that is one of the ugliest buildings in Chicago, considering my personal taste, and hope that it will be replaced in the near future. Not only is it poorly designed (as it does not provide enough classroom space for the footprint it takes up), but it sticks out like a sore thumb in the neighbourhood.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #253
mohammed wong

I found the website that shows all the building names,

The Schmitt Academic Center is the coolest building they have,
I dont know why everyone hates on the brutalist buildings,
That sure would be a bland campus without that building,
That is my favorite building there.

www.depaul.edu/maps/lpc/ shows the campus thru a birds eye view,
pretty neat.

its got that logans run futuristic vibe to it.
no way anything like that could get built now.
Its amazing how much bigger the campus is now, Im glad that they have grown up.

you can barely see my grammar school there in the picture posted its on the southwest corner
of clifton and belden, thats oscar meyer (no relation to ray meyer)
I see that they got rid of the old seventies buildings on belden.

My point is, getting rid of the SAC building almost negates the middle part of depauls history,
what makes a city or campus interesting is the collection of different buildings from different eras,
I think most people would agree that no era is so heinous that all of its representatives need to be demolished.
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #254
tkelly1986

I disagree, the SAC is horrible to look at and horrible to have classes in. I was there for my undergrad and feel the SAC has outlived its purpose; as do most of DePaul’s staff and students. The point is that it takes up too big of a footprint for the amount of classroom and office space it provides. For a school that is in dire need of classroom and office space, this is not a good thing to have. I suggest replacing it with something that is more useful and fits the needs of the university. There are plenty of buildings that mirror SAC, so it is not that unique; heck the Boston city hall is almost a carbon copy.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #255
mohammed wong

if they are in such need for classroom space they should have built their other buildings higher,
they probably couldnt because the problem ofcourse im sure is the zoning and the nimbies, and thats why they have problems, its a very popular university due to location,
there are hemmed in by amount of land available for development, the cost of land, and the local politics of, hey i cant believe you are going to build something x stories high, holy crap i never knew that the city would grow,
thats terrible.... yatta yatta yatta,

Buildings like this can be rehabbed and given a new floor plan,
which would be more innovative and interesting than another tear down
and another bland anywhere anytime building going up.

this building is way more unique than most of what they have built lately,
it may look like something in boston, but that building is in boston,
so you had to use an example from boston,
that means it is relatively unique for chicago.

I want depaul to do well and have enough class space, but they will have
to fight for it every inch of the way,
but Im sure that Lincoln Park slowly but surely
will undergo the same changes going on in old town
and nearby near north side,
just wait....
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #256
tkelly1986

SAC cannot really be remodled. The problem is its layout. Also, they probably would have built taller buildings if it was possible, but the height cap in LP (in that area) is 6 stories. I know one of the dorms (Monroe) was supposed to be 12 stores and is built so that it can be added on to, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #257
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
This is what I found. Yipee. More bland, olde-tyme architecture:
Another missed opportunity. I wonder why this feels "safer" to people.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #258
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Maybe when Children's Hospital moves downtown, DePaul will take over the main building. That would give them plenty more space.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #259
tkelly1986

I would assume DePaul would be in the bidding for that. There are numerous things that they could use that land for. Someone mentioned on another board that the Children's site would be an ideal location for their much needed on campus arena. However, that may be a pipe dream. Nevertheless, I would be very suprised if DePaul does not aquire that land.

I think dorm space would be a top priority.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #260
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

New City Y site on way to mixed-use
8.5 acres will be home to 500 residential units

By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
August 26, 2007

A mixed-use project with 494 residential units will go up where the New City YMCA stands at Halsted Street and North Avenue.

Local developer, Structured Development LLC, with partner Commonfund Realty Inc. will buy the 8.52-acre site........

....... Kevin Stanciel, general manager of Chicago Transportation Authority's facility development, did ask commissioners to require the developer to reduce by 25 percent the project's 1,100 parking spaces.

He argued that so much parking will bring more traffic to an already congested area and said that three bus routes serve the site.

One commissioner, however, said the area is difficult to access by public transit, and [27th Ward Alderman Walter] Burnett added that the CTA's financial condition puts its service in question.

"We don't want to deal with the CTA's if's, but's or maybe's," Burnett said. CTA seeks a 25 percent reduction in the project's 1,100 parking spaces.

Full article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...426,full.story
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote