daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #261
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
.....One commissioner, however, said the area is difficult to access by public transit.....
The lot is two blocks from the friggin' Clybourn Red Line station LOL Jeez!

Last edited by wrabbit; September 9th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #262
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
CTA seeks a 25 percent reduction in the project's 1,100 parking spaces.
Since when does the CTA have any input on the number of parking spaces proposed for a private development? Do they have any real authority here?
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #263
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Since when does the CTA have any input on the number of parking spaces proposed for a private development? Do they have any real authority here?
Although I'm happy to see a reduction is being sought, I was actually wondering the same thing.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #264
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=wrabbit;15035319]
Quote:
[SIZE="3"][B].....One commissioner, however, said the area is difficult to access by public transit.....

The lot is two blocks from the friggin' Clybourn Red Line station LOL Jeez!
Not to mention the North Ave. Bus and the Halsted Bus
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #265
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
They can raise their concerns at a Plan Commission meeting just like the average citizen. They obviously are experts at traffic planning, so their word is valuable.

Also, I bet that Structured Development has approached the CTA, or the other way around, to create a transit-access plan, which may include new bus stops, et cetera. As part of the process, CTA probably requested the parking reduction.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #266
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

did i hear right?
a 25 story building?
i think we are starting to see the overflow of the near north side,
which is great.
i would much rather see highrises go up in lincoln park
than these new supermansion/brownstone types deals,\

Lincoln Park needs density, not the opposite,
this will definitely help liven up the area
and it will definitely help make this el stop a destination/exit strategy
i.e. useful.

heres to more highrises in Lincoln Park,
while i want its historic buildings kept,
if you are going to demolish old frames or super bad
bricks buildings please dont just put up single family housing in their stead
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #267
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Any prewar buildings in the immediate area were demolished in the '60s and replaced with quite a few high-rises.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:32 AM   #268
mohammed wong

this aint newyork,
so i dont know what prewar means

dont forget the old sam cut rate liquors building at the corner of north and halsted that has been so fabulously gussied up.
its on the south east corner,

there are other pre "war?" buildings in the area,
i think on clybourn, they should still be there just south of north,
or is that called SONO now,
ouch,

but i get your meaning, i remember the area when i was really really little,
and it looked like hell on earth,
ah the good old days, but
while i do shed a tear for what we lost, it gives us the opportunity to build anew,
and make us into a quintessiental american city of a mix of old and new,
its the aggregation of this sometimes random destruction and creation
which makes this city so interesting and great,
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #269
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Re: this project

I walked past it tonight and was really surprised by the amount of progress. The steel structure has already reached the fourth floor.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #270
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

I am curious about this development at DePaul, because I have seen two renderings. The one you have above and one that has slightly different windows – the second version being in their “Campaign for Science Excellence” brochure. Regardless, it is good to see progress made on this building as it is much needed and will open up the current “Chemistry” building, O’Connel Hall on Kenmore to be remolded into general classroom space. I would like to see DePaul continue on this trend of building the sciences more, as this has been one reason noted for a less than stellar ranking in US News ect….The next logical step would be to build a new building for physics and mathematics…Where, I am not sure, but as someone mentioned above, more room may be available if DePaul succeeds on their efforts to acquire the Children’s Memorial buildings.

However, I am willing to bet that the next development that DePaul engages on is for the Theater/Music Schools. These two schools are very well respected parts of the university and are in dire needs of new space. Another critique is that students who live in Lincoln Park do not want to go downtown to attend theater school productions, while the theater school students also complain about the commute. Therefore, I expect a joint Theater/Music School development in Lincoln Park to be pursued in the next few years. The rumor is, as I mentioned earlier, that this will be built on the site of the former blockbuster video (In-fact that entire south side of the block. The hope is that this will include a new theater, but I am not sure how far along fundraising ect…is on this project. If anyone has some insider info on this project or another at DePaul, please let us know.
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #271
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
I am not sure, but as someone mentioned above, more room may be available if DePaul succeeds on their efforts to acquire the Children’s Memorial buildings.

Therefore, I expect a joint Theater/Music School development in Lincoln Park to be pursued in the next few years. The rumor is, as I mentioned earlier, that this will be built on the site of the former blockbuster video (In-fact that entire south side of the block. The hope is that this will include a new theater, but I am not sure how far along fundraising ect…is on this project. If anyone has some insider info on this project or another at DePaul, please let us know.

that would be great if Depaul were to expand that far east, to lincoln and fullerton where children memorial is,
is children memorial moving downtown? i think it is.
Depaul is the closest thing to NYU in Chicago,
or maybe thats Loyola downtown,
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #272
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post

that would be great if Depaul were to expand that far east, to lincoln and fullerton where children memorial is,
is children memorial moving downtown? i think it is.
Depaul is the closest thing to NYU in Chicago,
or maybe thats Loyola downtown,
Columbia College (or is it "University") also has an NYU-type campus.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #273
tkelly1986

Campus wise, I would say DePaul is more like Columbia University in New York and Columbia College of Chicago is more like NYU.....regardless, Childrens Memorial is moving downtown for sure and DePaul needs to get that land. What they will do with it I have no idea, but a few ideas have been floating around - an arena, housing ect...However, we'll have to wait and see, as the hospital is not openining downtown till 2010.

I just wish there was someone in the know on this board, as DePaul is a big player in Lincoln Park development and it would be nice to know their future plans. Is there anybody out there?
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #274
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

DePaul gaining the Children Hosp site would be fantastic! Does anyone have a map or arial of the CHildren's Hosp propertyand buildings?
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #275
tkelly1986

If you want to look at Children's Memorial from the air try google earth...then you can scroll over and see that it boarders DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus. I agree, this would be great for the university. However, I just wonder what the best plan for the site would be? An Arena, housing, a medical school? Any thoughts?
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #276
ozzman

DePaul needs to get the land and build an arena there. A venue to host their basketball games closer to downtown would be a great opportunity for the school. I believe it would make them much higher profile in the city. It also would offer another venue for concerts and shows in the city.
ozzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #277
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I could see the site, on such a prominent, triangular piece of land, be done as a large mixed-use project including an arena/concert venue - basically NY's Atlantic Yards at 1/4 size, and without the Gehry-ness. The site has great transit access, it was made for this.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #278
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I could see the site, on such a prominent, triangular piece of land, be done as a large mixed-use project including an arena/concert venue - basically NY's Atlantic Yards at 1/4 size, and without the Gehry-ness. The site has great transit access, it was made for this.
I'd much rather see something like this built on the Finkl and Sons site. Better transit and highway access.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #279
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Possibly, but the Finkl debate is mired in controversy over the PMD designation, and over the city's loss of manufacturing jobs. Nobody is disputing Children's Hospital's right to move from LP to Streeterville.

Of course, the river would be a great thing at the Finkl site.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #280
tkelly1986

The argument has been out there on many DePaul basketball message boards about the arena and the issue has been brought up about the amount of people, parking, ect....However, if you take into consideration the amount of people that currently work at Children’s (cars) and visitors, it is an even trade, because a smaller percentage of people who go to games will be driving due to living on campus or taking transit. In addition, you are not having the traffic there every day, thus the already existing parking structure can be used on off days for Lincoln Park residents and shoppers. In reality, an arena would mean less people on a daily basis then a huge condo project.....which I would hate to see.

Not to mention, the bars on Lincoln would love the increased foot traffic on game nights and the camaraderie for DePaul students and alum would increase tenfold due to the ability to mingle with your fellow fans. The All-State, among its many drawbacks, does not allow this. You go to the game and then leave - no bars.