daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #281
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
The argument has been out there on many DePaul basketball message boards about the arena and the issue has been brought up about the amount of people, parking, ect....However, if you take into consideration the amount of people that currently work at Children’s (cars) and visitors, it is an even trade, because a smaller percentage of people who go to games will be driving due to living on campus or taking transit. In addition, you are not having the traffic there every day, thus the already existing parking structure can be used on off days for Lincoln Park residents and shoppers. In reality, an arena would mean less people on a daily basis then a huge condo project.....which I would hate to see.

Not to mention, the bars on Lincoln would love the increased foot traffic on game nights and the camaraderie for DePaul students and alum would increase tenfold due to the ability to mingle with your fellow fans. The All-State, among its many drawbacks, does not allow this. You go to the game and then leave - no bars.
But an arena wouldn't be used just for games. Concerts and other shows would likely be held there as well. This would bring in traffic to the neighborhood. Even the games will bring a decent amount of traffic to the area.

An arena on the Finkl site would make all of this much less of a hassle and Depaul can get the best of both worlds. A new building right on campus and a new arena slightly off the edge of campus with better traffic flow.

Why wouldn't they use the CH for more classrooms, offices and labs? Seems like the most logical use to me.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #282
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Possibly, but the Finkl debate is mired in controversy over the PMD designation, and over the city's loss of manufacturing jobs. Nobody is disputing Children's Hospital's right to move from LP to Streeterville.

Of course, the river would be a great thing at the Finkl site.
If DePaul got involved in the purchase and it was a non-residential use, I think the PMD thing would be changed fairly quickly.

The need for manufacturing jobs in that area is dwindling and there is no longer any room for growth with all of the development moving in. There are still plenty of other sites within the city where manufacturing can thrive. That's why Finkl is moving to the South Side.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #283
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Lincoln Park 2520

I have some height figures and other information about Lincoln Park 2520.

North Tower - 337' to rooftop (355' to structural top)
Center Tower - 442'
South Tower - 235'

The developer is seeking to raise the height of the center tower to 468' and demolish two buildings adjacent to the site: Cabrini Hall on St. James and a god-awful concrete parking structure on Deming. This in turn would allow an increase in the number of townhomes from twelve, under the current plan, to twenty-two. The townhomes are designed to fit in with the prevailing architecture. Basically, St. James and Deming will be lined with brand new homes. A community meeting regarding these changes will be held on September 15th.

The townhouses will basically look like these:

..Which means this project (Deming on the Green) has been cancelled. I think Cabrini Hall is the building on the right.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #284
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

It's a shame...

Cabrini Hall dates back from those days in the 20s where people thought Lincoln Park would eventually be like the Upper West Side, and built accordingly.

Ironically, now, compare Lincoln Park 2520 to 15 Central Park West.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #285
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

It's too bad that Deming on the Green will be cancelled.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #286
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Few more images of New City

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #287
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I'm not sure whether to like this.

Instead of focusing retail on the street, it pulls people into this interior, likely private space, like a mall. This reminds me of Roosevelt Collection.

But it's near a train stop, and I like the Flatiron-esque highrise. We'll see, I guess..
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #288
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I would say overall I dig it. I don't think it will it feel too much like a mall with plenty or resedential built right up on and around it.

The only thing that has me miffed a bit is that the plaza space looks like it will allow car access or if it even will be used as an auto roundabout when I thought it was going to be ped only. I can't really tell whats going on in the first pic that well with what looks like randomly placed cars and oddly placed fountains (or is that supposed to be a faux stream?)
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #289
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, I don't know what to think. It really screams surburbia for some reason.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #290
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I see nothing wrong with this. TUP, the focus may be on the interior space, but the street running through the centre is lined up with one of the real streets to the west. Also, AFAIK, the private street runs fully through to Clybourn, with a little roundabout in the middle.

There's only so much you can do with street frontage alone. It's not like there won't be shops lining Clybourn and Halsted on the outside - not to mention the mixed-use which should keep the central plaza active at all hours.

Lastly, I think it's kinda funny that you praise Metropolis like no other, yet complain about how this one is inward-oriented.

The only thing I hate is the huge parking deck at the south side of the site. I suppose by suburban standards it's small, but can't we do better in what will become THE transit hub of the North Side?
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #291
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Lastly, I think it's kinda funny that you praise Metropolis like no other, yet complain about how this one is inward-oriented.
^ I'll grant you this point. In my defense, all I can say is that there is a lack of density and a lack of interest on the part of retailers on the south side. To get something like Metropolis on the south side, the city may need to grant some concessions.

But the location of the project below, near Lincoln Park, isn't necessarily wanting. The density is here, the wealth is here, the cost of land is here, people want to be here. I think the city can certainly demand more concessions from developers in this part of the city.
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #292
tkelly1986

For those of you keeping tabs on the DePaul project (Chemistry building) I found this webcam at the DePaul Office of Development's website.

http://ntg.depaul.edu/science/live.php

I thought it was pretty cool because it also has a timelapse video and the floor plans.

This is a much needed addition to the Lincoln Park campus.....Now, I just wish the university would keep us better up to date on their future plans, as getting a hold of "master plans" or a timetable of development (which they have as part of the Vision 2012 prgram) is a difficult task. They treat some stuff like it is top secret! Now that this is a go, I am curious what next?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #293
HowardL

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
..Which means this project (Deming on the Green) has been cancelled. I think Cabrini Hall is the building on the right.
That building, if it ever happens is on the north side of Deming across from the old hospital. Cabrini Hall is actually one block south on St. James.

I like the idea of getting rid of the parking garage. It's grim. Those townhouses would be quite nice really.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #294
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Whoa! What is up with all the cars? That blue car seems to be driving right through a pedestrian area?

Probably hard to listen to a movie when there is a water fountain right behind you... you may have to run to the bathroom a few times too!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #295
FreeRadical

VOID

Last edited by FreeRadical; December 15th, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
FreeRadical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #296
dvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

So, where is this proposed for?
dvidler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #297
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
The second picture is a dead ringer for Oak Brook shopping mall.
For god's sake, not everything in Chicago's suburbs is evil. Oakbrook Center is 10x better than some of the stuff in the city.

If they took Oakbrook, minus the encircling parking lots, and stuck it somewhere in the city, it would be amazing.
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #298
FreeRadical

VOID

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #299
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I would argue that Oakbrook is better than most suburban malls, because of its outdoor nature and the way it's not afraid to face outwards like other malls are.

As for it being a necessary evil: as far as I can tell, the only stresses unique to shopping malls are the parking concerns: finding a close spot, circling, getting cut off, etc. Anything else you can gripe about (surly employees, crowds, noise, etc.) at a shopping mall, you can also gripe about on State or Michigan. High-traffic retail environments are similar, no matter whether they are urban or suburban.

But I digress. How does the New City development exhibit any of the characteristics of a suburban mall? The only essential similarity I can see is the fact that it uses the muddled-modernist architecture of many new retail developments.

Last edited by ardecila; September 19th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #300
FreeRadical

VOID