daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #321
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

More New City

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #322
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

^Oh hell's yeah, nice find! It does look like a mini new city. Love the density, hope its causes even more developments in that area. People better use the brown line, traffic there is gonna be even more of a bitch, haha.

SoNo is also underconstruction from what Ive heard, at least the East tower (?).
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #323
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Way to go, spyguy.

NewCity will provide some desperately needed retail in an area that will continue to see considerable residential growth. This is a long time coming. I've dreamed of walking through this area as if it's just another piece of the urban fabric, rather than avoiding it as the black hole it once was. Let the transformation begin...
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #324
asauterChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
People better use the brown line, traffic there is gonna be even more of a bitch, haha.

SoNo is also underconstruction from what Ive heard, at least the East tower (?).

With this development they _really_ need to put in a brown line stop there. Right now only the redline serves that area (even though the brown-line goes right past it). They only way to get there now is Stop at Sedgwick and walk a mile, or stop at Armitage, and walk a mile.

Either way, this area is going to be awesome. With both SoNo towers going in, this development and all the other stuff going on, this area is going to rock .
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #325
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauterChicago View Post
With this development they _really_ need to put in a brown line stop there. Right now only the redline serves that area (even though the brown-line goes right past it). They only way to get there now is Stop at Sedgwick and walk a mile, or stop at Armitage, and walk a mile.

Either way, this area is going to be awesome. With both SoNo towers going in, this development and all the other stuff going on, this area is going to rock .
I agree that a brown line stop that is close to North/Halsted would be a nice addition, but I think that there are a few locations in the near South side and the near West side that definitely would need a new el stop first. There is a red line stop right in the heart of all the action of North/Halsted/Cybourn corridor...if they can renovate and clean up the Red Line stop at North/Clybourn, I think a lot more people will take the el there. The fact that there isn't a brown line stop in the immediate area shouldn't dissuade too many brown line users from taking the el if they are going to the area - they can easily tranfer from the brown line to the red line, or they can go to Sedgwick, which is actually only a half mile away from North/Halsted.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #326
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

The area around Sedgwick isn't as bad as it used to be (I wouldn't mind the walk), but a Halsted stop on the the Brown Line would be nice. Honestly, though, if you're coming from downtown, just go to the subway instead of the L. If you're coming from Ravenswood or Albany Park, just transfer to Red at Fullerton or something. Enough transfer options to Red are provided to make access to this area pretty easy.

With the new Apple Store replacing the gas station next to North/Clybourn, the area should start feeling a lot more pedestrian. Perhaps the city should consider some traffic calming measures in the area, like paving the crosswalks with brick or curb bumpouts.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #327
bluto

Likes (Received): 0

Looks typical of the unimaginative, antiseptic, insipid developments that already encroach on the lands formerly occupied by the Greens. As the rest of Cabrini slowly changes hands, it'll be interesting to see if any new developer can offer up a project whose most salient feature is something other than soul numbing sterility. I can only pray that Webster and Cortland along the river aren't sacrificed to the same gods of pedestrian antagonizing, big box retail that blithely rule over the North/Clybourn corridor. I suppose part of the cost of warding off stagnation and decay is importing the culture and aesthetics of repatriated suburban exiles, but I don't have to like it.
bluto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #328
asauterChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto View Post
Looks typical of the unimaginative, antiseptic, insipid developments that already encroach on the lands formerly occupied by the Greens. As the rest of Cabrini slowly changes hands, it'll be interesting to see if any new developer can offer up a project whose most salient feature is something other than soul numbing sterility. I can only pray that Webster and Cortland along the river aren't sacrificed to the same gods of pedestrian antagonizing, big box retail that blithely rule over the North/Clybourn corridor. I suppose part of the cost of warding off stagnation and decay is importing the culture and aesthetics of repatriated suburban exiles, but I don't have to like it.
Wow sparky, you're just a bundle of positivity there.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #329
creil

North/Clyborn is a proposed Circle Line Terminal. If that ever becomes reality, you'll see a super station with Red, Brown and Circle access. Perfect for what this area needs.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #330
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto View Post
The British School on Halstead was a nice surprise. But I do share your concern about the old Finkl forge works.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #331
wrabbit

10/20/07

SoNo rising:

British School on Halstead:

Old October 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #332
steel

Likes (Received): 6

I hear they are building an Apple store at Halsted and North. Any truth to this? Anyone have images?
steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM   #333
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I hear they are building an Apple store at Halsted and North. Any truth to this? Anyone have images?
Yes - the Apple Store will be on the site of the old BP station. Also, a new Apple store at Block 37 on State in the Loop. But sorry, no images!
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #334
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Looks like the streetscape on Halsted will change for the better soon, now that Structured has an anchor tenant...

First Downtown REI Joins $77M Project

By Gina Kenny, October 22, 2007

CHICAGO-Structured Development LLC, based here, has snagged the first downtown Chicago REI outdoor gear store for its Blackhawk Halsted development. The two-acre mixed-use development, at the corner of West Blackhawk and North Halsted streets, has an estimated cost of $77 million. Structured secured a $70 million construction loan from Maverick Commercial Mortgage Inc. earlier this year.

http://www.globest.com/news/1019_101.../165334-1.html
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #335
wrabbit

Awesome. REI is a great outfit.
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #336
spyguy
Expert

Lincoln Park 2520 model (from website)
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #337
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Wow... that standalone parking garage is the worst waste of space I've ever seen. The developers want to avoid placing a blank parking podium along Lincoln Park West, which is admirable, but they can't possibly call this a solution.

If they're not gonna do underground parking, then they could at least put the garage between the townhomes and the tower. That way there's a stepdown in scale, rather than a huge garage interrupting a row of houses.
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #338
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wow... that standalone parking garage is the worst waste of space I've ever seen. The developers want to avoid placing a blank parking podium along Lincoln Park West, which is admirable, but they can't possibly call this a solution.

If they're not gonna do underground parking, then they could at least put the garage between the townhomes and the tower. That way there's a stepdown in scale, rather than a huge garage interrupting a row of houses.
This building will actually be on Lakeview, not Lincoln Park West.

With respect to the parking issue, I'm assuming this model represents the original plan for the site, which includes incorporating a pre-existing parking structure on Deming presently serving Children's Hospital. In that sense, the structure you see is not being built anew; it's already there.

However, the developer recently sought to amend its plan and make the following changes: increase the height of the center tower, add additional townhouses, and demolish two structures: Cabrini Hall and the parking structure on Deming. The space made available therefrom would be used for the additional townhouses. And, best of all, parking would be underground. A community meeting was held to discuss these changes in September. I'm not sure where things stand at this point, i.e., whether the revised plan will go forward.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #339
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
...demolish two structures: Cabrini Hall and the parking structure on Deming.
I'm guessing there will soon be quite a few people throwing tantrums to try and save Cabrini Hall...
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #340
spyguy
Expert

http://www.heartlandrebusiness.com/a...ighlight1.html

Chicago Retail Market
Edward Zifkin and Greg Moyer

Along the Clybourn Corridor, M Development has purchased the triangle at Clybourn Street, North Avenue and Halsted Street in the North-Clybourn retail corridor. The transit stop on the site will be redeveloped and the portion of the property previously occupied by a gas station will become a state-of-the-art Apple store.