daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #361
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

As the new Science Building at DePaul chuggs along towards completion, does anyone know of what DePaul's next realestate move is going to be? Has anyone heard what they have planned next for the Lincoln Park Campus? Rumors?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #362
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23915

The largest current retail vacancy in the North-Clybourn area also may soon be filled: Grossinger Auto Group is in talks to lease the former Home Depot Expo Design Center site at 1500 N. Dayton St., according to sources familiar with the matter.
Okay, is it just me, or is giving millions in TIF money for this a complete waste of money?
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #363
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I agree; the site will eventually get utilized without without subsidy, and there's no preservation value to the current building.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #364
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Lincoln Park condo project files Chapter 11

(Crain’s) — A completed 39-unit condominium project in Lincoln Park has landed in Bankruptcy Court three months after its lender sued to collect an overdue $5.3-million construction loan.

Ashton Lofts.

WMC Development IV LLC, the developer of the Ashton Lofts at 1610 W. Fullerton Ave., filed for Chapter 11 protection Tuesday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Chicago. LaSalle Bank N.A. filed the foreclosure suit in October against WMC, which has struggled with construction delays and weak sales.

The Ashton Lofts project is among a growing number of North Side condo developments that have defaulted on construction loans amid a depressed condo market. Teiva Hirshon, a leader of the project and guarantor on the LaSalle loan, said in mid-December that several condo buyers bailed out of the development amid construction delays, preventing WMC from paying back $5.3 million owed to LaSalle.

Nineteen units had been sold or were under contract at that time, he said. The bankruptcy filing does not affect buyers who have closed on their units.

Mr. Hirshon and WMC’s attorney did not return phone calls for comment.

WMC has assets of $10 million to $50 million and liabilities of $1 million to $10 million, according to the Chapter 11 petition.

(sidenote)
I was recently in the area due to picking up a uhaul vehicle
and the place looked like something out of a tokyo slum,(especially after all the moisture, concrete looks bad wet)
cool enough, but is anyone going to hangout on these balconies
especially these, except for gas station and traffic aficionados
or just use them to store stuff, the overproliferation of unused balconies is hilarious
I dont mind the place, its loads better than alot of shlock that almost takes up a
whole city block on ashland north of belmont....
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #365
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

My brother-in-law had one of these reserved. He was lucky that his attorney gave him an "out" clause, or he'd be moving in almost 2 years past the original delivery date. The article says it's completed, but it certainly doesn't look that way. Must be the crappy concrete paint job or something. This project has been a joke from the start, so the bankruptcy comes as no surprise.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #366
wrabbit

Valerio Dewalt Train's Halsted Blackhawk Block (British School, etal), 13 Feb '08:

Last edited by wrabbit; February 13th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #367
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Thanks for the update. I don't know the name of the building on the right.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #368
wrabbit

^ The construction on the right is for the 2nd (retail) component of the project, but I'm not sure who has signed on to lease the space.

http://www.buildordie.com/index2.htm
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #369
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ The construction on the right is for the 2nd (retail) component of the project, but I'm not sure who has signed on to lease the space.
REI.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #370
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:

RTD3
isn't it some sort of crime that this isn't the LSD bridge crossing the mouth of the river? How visually exciting this bridge would be at that site.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #371
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

oops, i think i just answered my own question. a suspension bridge can't open up for boats.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #372
wrabbit

^ But the span could be made high enough to allow for safe passage underneath.....

BTW, they've done a great job on illuminating the North Ave bridge. Thanks for the pic.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
REI.
Excellent. REI is a great adventure supply store. The peaks and dips of the VDT roof (inadvertently?) underscore the outdoorsy REI brand image - mountaintops, river waves, etc.

Last edited by wrabbit; February 14th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #373
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
^
Excellent. REI is a great adventure supply store. The peaks and dips of the VDT roof (inadvertently?) underscore the outdoorsy REI brand image - mountaintops, river waves, etc.
I drive by this every day and it looks like the actual building won't have the mountainous top of the rendering. Here's a drawing from the GreenBean forum that shows something that looks more like what's being built.

Odd that the developer (Structured Development) and the architect (Valerio Dewalt Train) don't have updated renderings on their websites.

Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #374
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
^ But the span could be made high enough to allow for safe passage underneath.....
To have a suspension span 180 feet above the water, the approaches have to be 1000 feet long. That would mean no access south of Ontario and none north of Monroe. The decision not to do it that way was made, after considerable study, in the late 1920s.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #375
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
To have a suspension span 180 feet above the water, the approaches have to be 1000 feet long. That would mean no access south of Ontario and none north of Monroe. The decision not to do it that way was made, after considerable study, in the late 1920s.
What 180-foot tall ships are going down the Chicago River? Perhaps in 1920, a few tall-masted freighters might still have plied the Great Lakes. Today, the biggest thing to go down the river is perhaps a 70-foot-tall leisure boat.

I think people will appreciate the Art Deco FDR Bridge a lot more if the beautiful integrated stairways are opened up along the west side. Currently they are closed because they don't lead anywhere; Lake Shore Drive/Wacker's traffic patterns are too unfriendly. The northwest corner stair will probably be re-opened when construction is finished on Chicago Spire's plaza.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM   #376
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

SoNo, British School, North Ave Bridge, etc:
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM   #377
jsk1983

Does anyone know what's going on with the property across from the British School (Halsted and Clybourn, where they demo'd the lot last fall)?
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #378
asauterChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the property across from the British School (Halsted and Clybourn, where they demo'd the lot last fall)?
They should be building a huge shopping center there... crazy isn't it? I used to spend a lot of a time at that YMCA... I really hope the developer doesn't go belly up, especially with the economy turning. It's a huge project to undertake.

I know there is a discussion about the shopping center with some renderings a few threads back... let me see if I can find them. Does any one have any updates?
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM   #379
asauterChicago

Quote:

one rendering....
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM   #380
asauterChicago

Quote: