daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #381
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Images of the New City development

Landscaping

new city
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM   #382
asauterChicago

Orginal Article announcing the project in March 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/314...city27.article

Shops, housing in mix at New City site

March 27, 2007
BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter

The New City YMCA at Halsted and Clybourn will become a 1-million-square-foot complex of retail shops, restaurants and residential buildings, the developers announced Monday.

The 8.5-acre complex, to be called New City, will feature 490 housing units spread across five buildings, with 10 percent of the total set aside for low-income housing and another 10 percent for affordable housing.

The highest of the residential buildings will have two levels of retail and 23 levels of residential units. Another will have three levels of retail and seven levels of residential, and a third will have two levels of retail and nine levels of residential. Two low-rise buildings will be built on the south side of Eastman Street.

The housing development will cost $270 million. It will include a 1-acre plaza and boulevard-like sidewalks with landscaping, according to developers Structured Development and Commonfund Realty.

The 370,000 square feet of retail space will be anchored by a previously announced Roundy's Supermarket. The 80,000-square-foot grocery store will be at 1515 N. Halsted.

A spokesman for the New City YMCA said activities there will continue through the session that ends June 16.

Construction on the New City development will start in September, with completion planned in 2010.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #383
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Valerio Dewalt Train's Halsted Blackhawk Block (British School, etc), 29 March:

wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #384
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Residents file suit over Latin School soccer field under construction in Lincoln Park
Restraining order sought to halt construction

By Robert Mitchum and Noreen Ahmed-Ullah | Tribune reporters
10:11 PM CDT, April 16, 2008

The fight over a soccer field under construction in Lincoln Park moved to the courts Wednesday, as a residents group filed a lawsuit hoping to put a stop to construction.

The $2 million field, which is being funded in part by the private Latin School in exchange for priority use of the property, has become a source of rancorous debate in the North Side neighborhood. Some residents said the project was approved without proper public hearings. They also are upset that a public meadow will be replaced with an artificial-turf field.

Protect Our Parks, a non-profit group of about 20 residents who oppose the project, filed the complaint Wednesday morning in Cook County Circuit Court. The group also will seek a temporary restraining order to put an immediate stop to the construction in a Friday morning hearing, said Thomas Ramsdell, the group's attorney.

"This soccer field is an insult to the park, an insult to the community, and we will not stand idly by and let it happen," said Greta Lear, a spokeswoman for the group, while standing outside the construction site Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM   #385
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Roundy's signed to anchor New City retail:

http://www.globest.com/news/1140_114.../170085-1.html
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #386
i_am_hydrogen
muted

From Inside Lincoln Park:

Judge partially halts soccer field construction
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #387
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, I'm so excited by the new aklgl that will be at the New City site!!! I love that store almost as much as I love zxcvb. Not to mention the RETAIL SHOPS across the way.

C'mon, can't these renderers come up with something? You could go with the generic Food, Drugstore, Clothing, or go cheeky: Papaya Republic, Crockery Shed, Florgasm.

The one-acre plaza is a nice touch, but I wonder whether we've gone a little too far. New City was intentionally a fortress; this looks a smidgen too open. Retail on that space won't do well and it will be difficult to secure.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #388
paytonc
Pragmatist

Meeting alert this week:

Halsted Triangle Study - Public Meeting
Development Issues Related to Halsted, Kingsbury, North and Division

Residents and Businesses are welcome to join us for an OPEN Meeting to discuss the future of the Halsted Triangle area. The Department of Planning and Department of Transportation will present planning options for the area.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Steppenwolf Theatre
1650 N. Halsted (Downstairs Theatre)
6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.)

Purpose: To present the findings of the study and obtain feedback from the community on the draft recommendations.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #389
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Should be some interesting stuff presented there. Is anyone planning to attend?

I assume the meeting will explore the small but growing trend of high-rises in the area (SoNo, New City Tower A, North Ave Collection) as well as the expansion of bars, clubs, and major retail.

When I think about it, this triangle is already pretty vibrant at night, and places like the British School, REI, and Whole Foods should add some daytime vibrancy as well. The incoming residential at ParkSide, New City, and SoNo only sweetens the deal.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #390
paytonc
Pragmatist

I take it no one went? I had a board meeting.
The bars & clubs justifiably don't want more residential. I've never had even an inkling of desire to go to Weed St. on a Saturday night, but there's a place in every city for awful nightclubs blasting objectionable music -- and at least it's kind of close to all-night "L" service, and can share parking with daytime-only uses. I'd hate to see a new club-land (with the attendant drunk drivers) exiled to the middle of Goose Island by spiteful condo dwellers.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #391
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Wait, wait... who was there first? It seems like the clubs have every right to co-exist beside the new residents. Plus, the residents should know what they're getting into when they buy in this area - nobody made them live there, and God knows, there are plenty of quiet neighborhoods in the city, even if you do want L service.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #392
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wait, wait... who was there first? It seems like the clubs have every right to co-exist beside the new residents. Plus, the residents should know what they're getting into when they buy in this area - nobody made them live there, and God knows, there are plenty of quiet neighborhoods in the city, even if you do want L service.
I completely agree. Any residents who are moving into the area are fully aware that they will be living right by Weed Street, which has a pretty active night life. Not only would it be absurd of them to complain about bars in the area, considering that the bars were clearly there much longer than these residential buildings, I don't think that the new residents will have much leverage if any decide to complain about noise.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:21 AM   #393
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Not only would it be absurd of them to complain about bars in the area, considering that the bars were clearly there much longer than these residential buildings, I don't think that the new residents will have much leverage if any decide to complain about noise.
Of course it would be absurd, but that never stopped anyone. The city's noise ordinances, as written, are quite strict and are frequently violated (but almost never prosecuted). It is very, very easy for complaints to result in a liquor license revocation. All it takes is for a handful of people, whining loudly. People don't get a chance to sleep overnight in their new apartments before closing on their contracts; they have no way of really knowing before buying how loud it will be at night -- but those people vote, whereas the bar owners and patrons don't.

Nightclubs and residences don't mix very well. Not everywhere is a great place for residents. DPD understood this when it rezoned "the Halsted triangle," but lost its court case and thus SoNo is getting built.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #394
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Townhouses at 1301 W. Diversey (1750 N. Lakeview). At least they're not in the typical 'brick with limestone accents' style.

(from lgdevelopmentgroup.com)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #395
Urbanight

^ Those townhouses look pretty cool. I'd buy one.

Have anyone seen the balconies going up on SoNo - they look amazing, makes a huge impact on the building appearence. What tower is that in SoNo - will the second one be east or west?
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #396
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

I believe the west tower is currently under construction. The extended balconies on each tower face towards each other (which is a bit odd, but whatever.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:18 AM   #397
i_am_hydrogen
muted

After a long period of inactivity at the Lincoln Park 2520 site, demolition of the modern portion of the old Columbus Hospital is now under way.
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM   #398
HowardL

Speaking of, for about a month, they were drilling caissons between the chapel and where Cabrini Hall used to stand. It was for the parking, maybe. They were pretty small in diameter. I can't see the rigs today, so they may be gone.

Edit: I just couldn't see them, but they are still there working but are now in front of the chapel and next to the 'newer' part of the hospital.

Last edited by HowardL; June 22nd, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #399
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

those townhouses going up is that where wonderbread used to be?
just wondering what used to be there
on google its just a bulldozed fenced off lot
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #400
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Mohammed Wong, I sent you a PM

Lincoln Park 2520 is 50% sold, according to the Yo.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote