daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #441
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

New Whole Foods

Seth Anderson/ flickr
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #442
Jibba
Registered User
 
Jibba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 491
Likes (Received): 1

I would like to wish that's not a parking lot off the frame to the right, but it appears that way--I already see the beginnings of little "nature band-aid" planters among the expanse of soon-to-be asphalt. Also, where the hell did the sidewalk go? I hope I am interpreting the features of this photograph wrong, but I'm afraid that I'm not.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #443
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

^ I see nothing wrong with this.

I'm fine with grocery stores being like this (except for downtown, of course). This is a reasonable compromise that allows them parking while still respecting the urban/pedestrian environment. A person walking or riding a bus will not have to cross a large parking lot to get go the store entrance, and to me that matters a lot
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #444
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 709
Likes (Received): 5

I think the sidewalk is farther away from the street, buffered by those ginormous planters. I like some foliage between me and the street, but these look 8-10 feet deep. Maybe Whole Foods is trying to make the site look more "green", to appease their core customers. (here's a render I found: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarsky/2289607513/)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #445
Jibba
Registered User
 
Jibba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 491
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I see nothing wrong with this.

I'm fine with grocery stores being like this (except for downtown, of course). This is a reasonable compromise that allows them parking while still respecting the urban/pedestrian environment. A person walking or riding a bus will not have to cross a large parking lot to get go the store entrance, and to me that matters a lot
I guess. Per the rendering posted (thanks, Flubnut), at least this store presents itself more openly to the street (unlike, say, the one at North and Sheffield). You win some and lose some I guess, but I'm still very disappointed that we can't get over this paradigm of mega-retailer development. Why can't they build something a la Dominick's on Broadway?
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #446
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

It will have 112 parking spaces on the second floor and roof, according to the article:

Trader Joe’s plans Lincoln Park store
By Eddie Baeb, March 18, 2009

(Crain’s) — Trader Joe’s is planning a fourth Chicago store at a Lincoln Park site where another grocer, Roundy’s Supermarkets Inc., had been considering a larger store.
Trader Joe’s, known for its budget-conscious gourmet offerings and its upbeat employees who sport Hawaiian shirts, has leased 14,500 square feet in a new building planned on Diversey Parkway next to two vacant retail stores at 651 and 659 W. Diversey, sources say.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #447
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

^I was just about to post this article. Great news. Now I won't have to go to the god-awful Market Place for my groceries.
__________________
flickrgallery
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #448
jsk1983
Registered User
 
jsk1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 179
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^I was just about to post this article. Great news. Now I won't have to go to the god-awful Market Place for my groceries.
Too bad it wasn't built sooner. By the time it's done I'll probably have moved, of course I said I was going to move last year and never did.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #449
jsk1983
Registered User
 
jsk1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 179
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I guess. Per the rendering posted (thanks, Flubnut), at least this store presents itself more openly to the street (unlike, say, the one at North and Sheffield). You win some and lose some I guess, but I'm still very disappointed that we can't get over this paradigm of mega-retailer development. Why can't they build something a la Dominick's on Broadway?
And by build something you mean have a groundbreaking ceremony and then do nothing? I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe they're having trouble selling the condos that are involved.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #450
Jibba
Registered User
 
Jibba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 491
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
And by build something you mean have a groundbreaking ceremony and then do nothing? I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe they're having trouble selling the condos that are involved.
Well, if the success level of the project on Broadway is inextricably linked and directly caused by it's design (specifically, an intensive, densely built-up use of the land it's situated on, and a generally pedestrian-oriented storefront and access), then you have a point. However, the point of my comparison of the Whole Foods to the Dominick's on Broadway was strictly about the design--how it interacts with the urban fabric of its site, nothing more, and I wouldn't attribute the thus-far unsuccessful Dominick's to the fact that it has, generally, a good design. It could have to do with numerous things, many of which I am completely uninformed of. However, my argument per the relative urbanity of the two projects is still valid unless someone can prove that the Broadway store is not moving because its urban, ped-friendly design is incompatible with success.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #451
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Well, if the success level of the project on Broadway is inextricably linked and directly caused by it's design (specifically, an intensive, densely built-up use of the land it's situated on, and a generally pedestrian-oriented storefront and access), then you have a point. However, the point of my comparison of the Whole Foods to the Dominick's on Broadway was strictly about the design--how it interacts with the urban fabric of its site, nothing more, and I wouldn't attribute the thus-far unsuccessful Dominick's to the fact that it has, generally, a good design. It could have to do with numerous things, many of which I am completely uninformed of. However, my argument per the relative urbanity of the two projects is still valid unless someone can prove that the Broadway store is not moving because its urban, ped-friendly design is incompatible with success.
^ Dude, that's a ridiculous argument. Name a multi-level condo project that's getting started now that actually is successful (assuming there are any--most developers have pulled out of this market). If you go back 2 years you will see ample evidence that multilevel buildings with ground level retail have succeeded.

Your argument doesn't work at this particular site because the Dominick's store is the portion of the project that's actually successful. I'm taking an educated guess that it's the CONDOS that aren't selling well, not surprisingly, and until that happens the developer won't secure a loan. This has absolutely zero to do with the design, but instead with our current economic situation.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:45 AM   #452
Jibba
Registered User
 
Jibba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 491
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Dude, that's a ridiculous argument.

[...]

This has absolutely zero to do with the design, but instead with our current economic situation.
That was my whole point. My response to jsk1983 was to point out that the issues around the Dominick's on Broadway weren't related to the fact that it didn't have a giant surface lot accompanying it, and I clearly expressed that whatever was holding it up was something else and that I couldn't say exactly what (because, well, I can't). The likely scenario is that it's not a hot market right now to be selling condos, and this fact would likely hamper the project in some way or another; this you pointed out as if it ran counter to what I was saying, when in fact my opinion leaves open this very possibility as the primary issue.

I believe you misread my post, or at least inferred certain things that were not implied by me. At any rate, I'm saying that one can build an urban-leaning grocery retail outpost that doesn't necessitate an accompanying acre of asphalt, and using the project on Broadway as a litmus test for the viability of designs of its scheme is foolish considering the history of similarly-designed stores (as you mentioned) and the shitty economy (as you also mentioned).
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:00 AM   #453
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

^ Yeah, my bad. I think I misunderstood. Sorry, buddy
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM   #454
Jibba
Registered User
 
Jibba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 491
Likes (Received): 1

Not a problem. I'd rather agree than disagree, so just wanted to make sure it was clear.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #455
asauterChicago
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 194
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^I was just about to post this article. Great news. Now I won't have to go to the god-awful Market Place for my groceries.
Dude, what are you talking about, I love the Market Place. It's hasn't been all homogenized like the major chains, and you can still get local stuff. Plus their produce is like half the cost of Jewel. I also kind of like the fact that it hasn't changed since the 1950's, it's simply a grocery store with the stuff you need and not trying to be a bank, a lounge, a coffee bar, etc.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #456
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauterChicago View Post
Dude, what are you talking about, I love the Market Place. It's hasn't been all homogenized like the major chains, and you can still get local stuff. Plus their produce is like half the cost of Jewel. I also kind of like the fact that it hasn't changed since the 1950's, it's simply a grocery store with the stuff you need and not trying to be a bank, a lounge, a coffee bar, etc.
Perhaps I was a little harsh on the Market Place. The deli and produce are good. And the lines are usually short. But I still have beef with the place. For one, it takes advantage of its monopoly over the neighborhood--a monopoly which has been expanded ever since Dominick's burned down--by charging high prices for many of its items. I can remember reading an article in Inside Lincoln Park about the proposed Roundy's store that was originally slated to occupy the site of the future Trader Joe's. The owner of the Market Place lamented that Roundy's presence would dilute the integrity of locally-owned stores like Market Place. Well, he wouldn't have as much to worry about if he charged more reasonable prices.

In addition, the Market Place simply doesn't have enough variety to sustain a regular weekly shopper like myself. I often find myself walking in circles, trying to put together five days worth of decent meals with the limited amount of food items they carry. I'll concede that Trader Joe's also doesn't have that extensive of an inventory, but I've always had an easier time finding things to buy there. Ultimately, after three years of shopping almost exclusively at the Market Place, I'm desperately looking forward to having a new kid on the block.
__________________
flickrgallery
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #457
tkelly1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 45
Likes (Received): 0

Interesting article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6330722.story

I would, as an alumi, also love to see an on-campus arena. This could have a major impact on school spirit, fundraising ect....It would make DePaul finally feel like a real college again.

Is this feasible now? Where could this be placed? Children's Memorial?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #458
The Urban Politician
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,935
Likes (Received): 21

^ Where would they build it?

More importantly, if it were to be of the Cell or United Center format, that should be completely out of the question (IMO). Something would have to be done about the parking (esp in Lincoln Park) that does not involve acres of soul-cleansing surface parking
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #459
creil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 343
Likes (Received): 1

^ One word: Finkl
__________________
I don't believe in the universe, I only believe in Chicago.
-Steely Dan
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #460
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Or Children's Memorial?
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu