daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #461
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

I like the idea of Children's Memorial, as it already has a parking garage (another needed though), close proximity to campus and bars and is close to mass transit.

I assume DePaul will get in the bidding of that property and an "on-campus" arena has to be considered by the university brass.

I am curious how many people currently work at Children's Memorial on a daily basis? It seem safe to assume a couple thousand, thus the argument of an overwhelming amount of traffic coming with a new arena can be mitigated by the fact that there are already a great deal of people there and the infrastructure supports it. Moreover, there are not events every day, so most of the time, there will be more parking for the neighborhood.
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #462
creil

Likes (Received): 1

There's a difference between a couple of thousand people going back and forth to work at various times of the day and 8000 people going into and out of a building all at once.

The Finkl site offers access to the EL, Metra and the Kennedy Expwy. Car users could exit at Armitage and be quickly routed into a parking facility on the west side of the river and use the Cortland Bridge or a new pedestrian bridge to the arena. There's even an old railroad bridge that will mark the end of the Bloomingdale Trail that can be used. Two metra lines make stops at Armitage plus you have the Armitage Brown Line stop, a Clybourn Red Line stop plus a possible future Elston Circle Line stop.

There is already established shopping and entertainment in the area with North/Clybourn to the south and a Movieplex to the north. Plenty of bars and restaurants just to the east around Halsted and west around Damen.

In the end, the Finkl site may be the path of least resistance next to the Children's Memorial site. You would have to go up against those who want to keep the area as an industrial corridor, but the general thought is that the Finkl site will move away from industry anyway. There probably wouldn't be much fuss from neighborhood communities because it's location is well removed from residential. You may even build more of a fan base by locating it on the border of Bucktown. Of all the possibilities for the Finkl site, I've always thought that a Depaul-related facility is the best use.
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #463
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Apple (!)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=31614

Apple picks North & Clybourn
By: Thomas A. Corfman April 13, 2009

...The electronics maker last week agreed to open a signature store on a former gas station site bounded by North and Clybourn avenues and Halsted Street, sources say, after last year turning down a deal in the high-profile Block 37 development. The transaction signals the continued rise to retailing power of the crowded Clybourn thoroughfare and shows that State Street, despite its recent revival, continues to have a hard time attracting well-heeled shoppers.

...Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple, which has been mulling over the North Avenue location for about 18 months, has signed a long-term lease, paying top-dollar annual rent of about $700,000 just for the land, sources say. Apple would build a roughly 15,000-square-foot store, designed by the San Francisco office of architectural firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, sources say.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #464
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Cool, I hope it's designed well.

And it's near transit--so that's always good
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #465
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Maybe it's just me, but it sounded like the reason why they didn't do Block 37 was because it would cannibalize too heavily from the michigan avenue location, whereas North/Clybourn is a significantly higher distance away (in upscale residential area, too). It has less to do with State street in and of itself.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #466
creil

Rehabbing an 'urban environmental oasis'
Zoo to revamp Lincoln Park’s South Pond

By AUTUM DIERKING
Medill News Service

Lincoln Park's South Pond will see eco-friendly changes over the next year, as the Lincoln Park Zoo begins a rehabilitation of the body of water.

Beginning next spring, the zoo will deepen the pond, redesign its water source so it relies on rain, replace the pond's hard edges with natural wetlands and install a new boardwalk.

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...71&TM=39924.88
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #467
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^This is kind of old news. The restoration has been ongoing for some time now. A few months back, controversy arose once it was determined that thousands of fish in the pond would have to be poisoned rather than relocated to new bodies of water. The pond was rife with koi, goldfish, and other nonnative species. Under Illinois state, it is illegal to introduce such species into public waters. As an aside, the high numbers of goldfish were supposedly attributable to pet owners dumping them into the pond.
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #468
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/154...29web.article#

Whole Foods opening third largest store in Chicago's Lincoln Park in May
April 29, 2009
BY SANDRA GUY

The third-largest Whole Foods store in the world opens May 20 in Lincoln Park, introducing Chicagoans to a riverwalk, seven neighborhood-themed eateries, mix-and-match cookie and trail-mix stations, and express checkout lanes with a screen directing shoppers to the next open cashier.

...The existing 16-year-old Whole Foods store -- the company's first in the Midwest and one of its top two Midwestern sales generators -- will close at 4 p.m. on May 17. That space will reportedly be occupied by a Pottery Barn concept by Williams Sonoma. A Pottery Barn spokeswoman could not confirm the report.

Old May 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #469
spyguy
Expert

For some reason Antunovich has an image of SoNo's east tower. I hope Booth Hansen hasn't been replaced.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM   #470
spyguy
Expert

http://www.skylinenewspaper.com/News...19_master_plan

Planning the future DePaul School circulating draft of 2009-2019 master plan
05/20/2009 10:00 PM

By IAN FULLERTON

...A draft copy of the university’s 2009-2019 master plan lists more than a dozen proposed projects, including development of new facilities for the School of Music and the Theatre School, a new art gallery building, a proposed hotel and the addition of more than 700 student beds in the neighborhood.

...The draft, although peppered with similar language, demonstrates the school’s desire to erect at least two student dormitories in the area — a five-floor, 400-bed undergraduate residence at 2345 N. Kenmore and a 333-bed development at Fullerton and Sheffield.

The plan also hints at future dorms on the current site of the Vincentian Residence, a home for visiting clergy slated for redevelopment at 2135 N. Kenmore, and on the property at Beldon and Seminary.

...Perhaps the draft plan’s loftiest conceptual design is for a proposed 115,197 square foot mixed-used development at 2450 N. Sheffield. The six-story complex would house both underground and above-grade parking facilities, one floor of retail, a 140-room hotel, 24 private residential units, student housing and an orientation center for the university.

Designs also call for the closing off of North Kenmore Ave. between Belden and Fullerton to facilitate the creation of a green area, “as an extension of the existing quadrangle along N. Seminary,” in company with numerous other landscaping projects.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM   #471
spyguy
Expert

DePaul Master Plan

Overall plan

School of Music - Halsted, between Fullerton and Belden

935 W Fullerton - Art gallery and museum

Renovation of Corcoran Hall

New academic building - Belden and Kenmore

2345 N Kenmore- undergrad residences (400 beds)

Theatre School - Fullerton and Racine

2450 N Sheffield- 44,000 sf retail, 140 hotel rooms, 333 beds, 24 residential units

Old May 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM   #472
ChicagoismynewBlog

Spyguy thanks for the awesome update. Hopefully Depaul's plans will come to fruition b/c those look amazing and will do so much for the area.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #473
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 4

Very cool. Where'd you find those pictures, Spyguy?
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #474
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

As someone who may be going to DePaul for a master's, those plans sound awesome.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM   #475
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Absolutely horrible architecture, though
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #476
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoismynewBlog View Post
Hopefully Depaul's plans will come to fruition b/c those look amazing and will do so much for the area.
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the old Children's Memorial site. Here are some ideas from the redevelopment blog.

Shaded buildings are new.

A

B

C

D
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM   #477
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Plan C all the way!
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #478
ChicagoismynewBlog

I second that, Plan C has my vote. Then in second place, D, third is A, and DEAD LAST is B. I do hope someone keeps the old hospital buildings the way they are and brings more life into them instead of tearing them down.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #479
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Plan A would be the best plan if architectural preservation is valued. There are several great old buildings on the campus. It would be especially good to keep the two corner buildings that flank Lincoln Avenue.

I would tweak Plan A by adding a high-rise on the west side of Lincoln where the parking garage now stands.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #480
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I'm for Plan A. I would hate to lose the two older hospital buildings on Orchard. The larger of the two does a particularly wonderful job of giving the stretch of Orchard between Fullerton and Lincoln a very cozy feel. I love that block. On the negative side, I don't like that Plan A retains the parking structure on Lincoln.