daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #501
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Another hospital redevelopment project:

http://www.vidaley.com/index.aspx?loc=2&dbx=348&sub=1

Alderman Vi Daley will host a community meeting regarding the redevelopment of the Lincoln Park Hospital (Grant) and its parking structure located at Lincoln Avenue and Wester Street.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:30PM at the St. Vincent dePaul Center, 2145 N Halsted.

Developers propose a mixed-use reuse of the existing structures (residential, commercial and retail).
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #502
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
More on Lincoln Park 2520 from Vi Daley:
http://www.2520neighbors.com/

The .pdf is dated August 17

The north "tower" has definitely gotten shorter.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #503
Urbanight

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, I like the center tower standing out more, it might be shorter, but it looks taller now.
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #504
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I'd rather see 2 large towers. The smaller towers look like half-ass afterthoughts.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #505
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

New

Old
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #506
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Huge score for DePaul
NO DISSENT | City planners OK new music, theater schools in Lincoln Park

November 20, 2009
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter [email protected]

DePaul University's schools of theater and music would finally have the world-class facilities to match their top-notch talent, thanks to a 10-year master plan for the Lincoln Park campus approved Thursday.

Without a word of dissent, the Chicago Plan Commission signed off on DePaul's ambitious plan to build new schools for theater and music, a new academic center, and to redevelop Fullerton Avenue with a hotel, student housing and market-rate housing.

DePaul University's schools of theater and music would finally have the world-class facilities to match their top-notch talent, thanks to a 10-year master plan for the Lincoln Park campus approved Thursday.

The project -- with a price tag in the hundreds of millions of dollars -- calls for closing Kenmore Avenue to vehicles between Fullerton and Belden to improve student safety, add landscaping and create a greater "campus feel." Spectator stands, new dugouts and press box facilities also are planned for Wish Field.

"Those two schools have some of the finest faculty in the world and some of the finest students in the country. And they're literally performing in spaces with dropped ceilings and walls that bleed sound," said the Rev. Dennis Holtschneider, DePaul's president.

"It's not where you learn how to play an instrument. It's not where you learn how to sing. We need a space where musicians [and actors] can be properly trained."

The new music school won't come soon enough for clarinet performance major Philip Espe. But it's still a dream come true.

"I walk into the practice rooms at 10 a.m. any morning. There's no place for me to practice. I'm sometimes in rehearsal for six hours a day, and there's no space. It's incredibly small. The practice rooms are not acoustically sound," Espe said.

Holtschneider assured the Plan Commission that there would be no influx of students at the already-cramped Lincoln Park campus.

"Both those schools -- music and theater -- are capped. Students compete for those seats from all over the United States and sometimes the world. These are very expensive schools to run. We're not going to increase the number of seats," he said.

The new 112,000-square-foot Music Center will be in the 2300 block of North Halsted. It will include a 535-seat concert hall, a 176-seat opera hall, a pair of recital halls with 150 and 80 seats and a 100-space subterranean parking garage.

The 37,696-square-foot new home for the Midwest's oldest theater conservatory will be built on the southwest corner of Fullerton and Racine. It will include a 250-seat theater auditorium, a 100-seat "flexible theater" and stages integrated with classrooms on every level.

The new academic buildings are planned for the northeast corner of Belden and Kenmore and the southwest corner of Belden and Seminary. The Kenmore building will be the first new construction, replacing classroom space lost when McGaw Hall is torn down to make way for the new music school.

The master plan ultimately envisions construction of a mixed-use development on the blocklong stretch of Fullerton between Sheffield and Seminary that serves as the "main street" of the Lincoln Park campus.

But Holtschneider vowed to return to the Plan Commission before proceeding with construction of a five-story hotel with 140 rooms and a "car court," new housing for 333 students, market-rate housing and university space that includes a welcome center, visitor courtyard and conference rooms.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #507
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Future of Lathrop Homes?

http://trueslant.com/megancottrell/2...idents-say-no/

I guess these were built as wpa projects.
Definitely the best housing projects ive seen in chicago.

Im not totally against their demolition,
but maybe they should be fixed up?

I see that the people who live there are in the Logansquare neighbors association
but I also have seen readers claiming that its part of the west depaul area of lincolnpark

i also see that most of it is empty right now.

Last edited by mohammed wong; December 7th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #508
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
http://trueslant.com/megancottrell/2...idents-say-no/

I guess these were built as wpa projects.
Definitely the best housing projects ive seen in chicago.

Im not totally against their demolition,
but maybe they should be fixed up?

I see that the people who live there are in the Logansquare neighbors association
but I also have seen readers claiming that its part of the west depaul area of lincolnpark

i also see that most of it is empty right now.
I don't see what's wrong with the CHA plan of converting them into a mix of public/affordable/market-rate units. Just because as public housing they weren't the same debacle as Cabrini-Green or Henry Horner Homes doesn't mean that their basic concept was flawed. This way, we still get heterogenous class mixing, allow for property appreciation, but still try to keep lower-income residents integrated into the community.
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #509
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Either way, they could use a LOT of improvements. I like the ever-steaming manhole along Diversey. Adds to the general creepiness of the place (relative to most areas close by.)

Last edited by Flubnut; December 8th, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #510
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

I just felt that maybe it would be cool if they were fixed up,
and still some were market rate and low income,

This never happens though,
or maybe some could be saved and fixed up with others
knocked down to make something else.

I just dont like wholesale destruction

but overall i am in favor of something happending
with these cha homes
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #511
spyguy
Expert

Lincoln Park Hospital Redevelopment

http://lphospital.blogspot.com/

Alderman Vi Daley
Lincoln-Central Neighborhood Association &
Mid-North Association
will host a community meeting
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
6:30P.M.

Lincoln Park High School Auditorium

The new owners of the hospital property will present their modified proposal for the re-use and redevelopment of the buildings and property. They are proposing using and up-grading the existing buildings for a mixed-use development to include residential, senior living and retail.
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #512
The Urban Politician
The City

I'm assuming picture number 7 is a rendering of the new Apple store?
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #513
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
I'm assuming picture number 7 is a rendering of the new Apple store?
I'm not sure what that "plaza" area is between the black column and the store, but here are several photos of the store under construction.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zolk/ta...relincolnpark/
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #514
spyguy
Expert

Apple store construction update

Kevin Zolkiewicz/ flickr

Kevin Zolkiewicz/ flickr
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #515
spyguy
Expert

http://www.thechicago77.com/2010/02/...it-a-home-run/

Finkl & Sons Steel Mills May Just Hit a Home Run
Fri, Feb 12, 2010

Robert John Anderson

The word is that Depaul University has been considering the Finkl & Sons Steel Mills at Clybourn Avenue and Cortland Street as a place to build a new 10,000 seat basketball stadium so that it could be in the proximity of their Lincoln Park Campus. They are also considering an alternative site just south at Divison and Clybourn.

There has been much discussion about a new Depaul basketball stadium in the media as of late, but it’s only recent that they have been naming site locations. The Finkl & Sons site is located on the east bank of The Chicago River at Southport Ave, and Cortland Street within steps of DePaul’s main campus and due to its heavy industrial use over the past 100 years the site is believed to be to contaminated for many real estate re adaptations. So it seems the current thinking is that instead of removing all the over-sized foundations so closely positioned by the rivers edge that it might be far simpler and safer to just remove all the top soil, pave over the site and any possible contamination.
---

I don't know what he's referring to by "much discussion...in the media as of late" and he doesn't give a source for either of these locations or when this decision was made. But still interesting to think about.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #516
spyguy
Expert

http://www.crmproperties.com/futureProjects.html

Weed Street Development
With the successful completion of Whole Foods on Kingsbury and Weed, CRM is in the process of redeveloping the balance of its property holdings on Weed, Fremont, North and Kingsbury. The project will include between 125,000 and 180,000 square feet of retail and enough parking to accommodate at least 2.5 cars per thousand square feet.

The project consists of four separate parcels (defined as Sites A, B, C & D), totaling 2.5 acres, or approximately 110,000 square feet of land. Site A, located at the southwest corner of North Avenue and Fremont Street, will consist of 12,333 square feet of retail on the first floor and 8,004 square feet on the second floor. Site B, located at the northwest corner of Weed Street and Fremont Street, will include 22,002 square feet of retail and a two-story parking deck for 109 cars. Customers will be able to access the above-ground garage from Fremont Street. The largest complex within the development will be on Site C, at the southwest corner of Weed Street and Fremont Street. This site will consist of three stories of retail, totaling nearly 125,000 square feet. Above the retail will be a parking deck with 202 parking stalls which can be accessed from Fremont Street. In addition, the building will include a prominent tower visible from Halsted, to the east, and the North Avenue bridge, to the west. Site D, located directly across from CRM’s new Whole Foods development on Kingsbury, will consist of 11,118 square feet of retail. The parking structures on Sites B and C will serve all four sites, and tenants within the Weed Street District will benefit from pylon signage located at North and Fremont.

Given the high-density zoning for Weed Street District (C3-5), CRM has the ability to build as much as 550,000 square feet of retail on the subject property. Accordingly, CRM has the flexibility to meet retailer requirements well above the preliminary planned development and is prepared to explore build-to-suit opportunities.

Old March 19th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #517
The Urban Politician
The City

^ AWESOME!

What occupies those sites now?

That area has some great nightclubs. I hope they don't bite the dust..
Old March 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #518
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

It looks like Joes will stay, but everything on the south side of that street will have to go. Haven't been there in a couple years, but there was a swank sushi restaurant, a party bar, and an OTB site (memory is always hazy on Weed Street...for some mysterious reason...)
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #519
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
(memory is always hazy on Weed Street...for some mysterious reason...)
multiple levels of funny there
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #520
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Finally!!!!

Quote:

These two pictures are confusing. They're both renderings of the same exact thing, except one has a tower, the other doesn't. And then, the overall bird's eye rendering of the development has no tower:

So, I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

That area has some great nightclubs. I hope they don't bite the dust..
Oh, dude, I disagree with you. I'm so thankful they're going away. This has been my dream for quite some time now.

Crobar, Zentra, Hogs and Honnies...what horrible, horrible places. These unfriendly, drafty, warehouse-type clubs are '90s anachronisms that have no place in a cosmopolitan city in 2010. Today, it's about urban-friendly, cozy, intimate bars with smart interior designs, and a bit of a neighborhood feel to them.

Crobar, Zentra, et al had their day. It's time to bury 'em. There's plots available right next to AOL, dial-up, pagers, and provocative daytime talk shows.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; March 20th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote