daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #521
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
Crobar, Zentra, Hogs and Honnies...what horrible, horrible places. These unfriendly, drafty, warehouse-type clubs are '90s anachronisms that have no place in a cosmopolitan city in 2010. Today, it's about urban-friendly, cozy, intimate bars with smart interior designs, and a bit of a neighborhood feel to them.

Crobar, Zentra, et al had their day. It's time to bury 'em. There's plots available right next to AOL, dial-up, pagers, and provocative daytime talk shows.
^ Uhhh.... I don't think the world has changed. I think you have.

Some of us have outgrown nightclubs, but talk to twenty-somethings--they still go to them.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #522
Urbanight

Likes (Received): 0

There is a funny article in the latest CS Magazine, you know the big glossy free one with a bunch of ads and pictures of local celebrities at charity events. It talks about when shoppers are craving a mall so they can drive and won't have to worry about parking, they no longer have to go out to the burbs, they can just head to the North and Clybourn area. I guess every place validates parking in the area? This development will certainly help make this area one big mall. There is the proposed New City development too, but at least they will have residential buildings.

The buildings look urban, but the thing is no one lives on these streets. This area will just be a giant shopping district, unlike the Mag Mile and State Street where people live and work. And its only serviced by one L stop. If the proposed circle line and Clinton St. line ever happens, North and Clybourn is supposed to be a big hub, connecting those lines with the Brown/Purple and Red.

If all of the above were to get built this area could be pretty amazing, rivaling the downtown retail districts.

I wonder if they could actually land a department store, in a much better retail climate of course.
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #523
skyduster

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Uhhh.... I don't think the world has changed. I think you have.

Some of us have outgrown nightclubs, but talk to twenty-somethings--they still go to them.
I am a 20-something, albeit in my late 20s, and I always hated these places, they got very old a week after I turned 21. And I know a few people in their 30s that do love Crobar et al.

There's a reason Crobar Miami closed. The era of the multi-room/warehouse club is over! Liberate yourselves!! Liberate yourslves from the Crobars and the Zentras and Le Passage's of the world!!

(The only reason I've been to all these places is because I have a couple of friends who love these places and they've dragged me there for their birthdays. I never enjoyed them.)

Even on South Beach, when I was there for the Winter Music Conference in 2006, the places I enjoyed the most by far were the small intimate bars where a good house dj had the most impact. And South Beach is littered with little bars like that, which is why I love South Beach and hate hate hate Las Vegas. Las Vages is all mega-clubs.

A nice cozy bar on the retail floor of a renovated 19th/early 20th century building, with a good crowd (not a trash crowd), art on the walls, smart interior design, windows where the city/streetscape is within view from inside the bar, and you don't have to wait in line like cattle and they don't charge you for water (nor $10 for a Miller Lite), now that's my idea of a night out!

The irony with the outdated mega-clubs (like Crobar and Zentra) is that they tried to recreate the underground scene that had emerged in the 80s, and existed throughout the 90s, when young people used to meet in abanonded warehouses and they would play underground house music that you couldn't find at a mainstream club (or, in the 90s, they would play trance music ). What was done out of necessity both by underground music lovers and underage kids was perverted into something "trendy" by the megaclubs who built a fake warehouse and injected mostly mainstream music into them (or euro...ugh...somebody tell these folks 1995 wants its music back). To make it all the more cheesier, some of these mega-clubs: you can only enter by going through a back alley...a licensed club pretending to be underground. What a ******* joke, and people fall for this fake "trendiness".

Plus, my house dj friends were all thrilled the moment in their 20s, when they started getting gigs at nice bars, as opposed to doing illicit parties. And that's one of the biggest benefits of entering your 20s...you can now go to decent bars...why pay cover to get into a drafty place that tries to recreate an illicit party?

LOL, I know that different people have different tastes, but it's not just me. The mega-clubs have been in decline over the past decade in cities like Chicago, New York, Toronto, etc, cosmopolitan cities with a strong urban tradition. Just in Chicago, these multi-room/warehouse mega-clubs have been closing at a much higher rate than they've been opening. Meanwhile, smaller places are popping up everywhere as an increasing number of neighborhoods gentrify. Yeah, the mega-clubs still have a demand, so I'm sure that a few will always be araound. But they're past their heyday.

In the meantime, I'm celebrating the make-over of the whole Weed Street area in recent years, which -for far too long- was in limbo between post-industrial wasteland and suburban strip mall, so close to Lincoln Park and Old Town. An ugly hole in an otherwise great part of the city. So this is a huge dream come true for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanight View Post
The buildings look urban, but the thing is no one lives on these streets. This area will just be a giant shopping district, unlike the Mag Mile and State Street where people live and work. And its only serviced by one L stop. If the proposed circle line and Clinton St. line ever happens, North and Clybourn is supposed to be a big hub, connecting those lines with the Brown/Purple and Red.

If all of the above were to get built this area could be pretty amazing, rivaling the downtown retail districts.
Yeah, one of the things that crossed my mind was "Oh God, I hope they don't recreate Oakbrook Mall in the middle of the city".

I'm not against parking; not everyone will have direct access by rapid transit (as you pointed out), but the parking should be concealed, and should not interfere with the streetscape. (Ideally, I'd like a densification of the CTA rapid transit system, including the circle line).

I think this development should be fine, as it will only occupy a few blocks of the whole area between Halsted and the river, an area that already has residential developments and non-retail businesses. And there's also plenty people living in the area, within walking distance, from the other side of North Ave, as well as the proposed mixed-use (including residential) development on the other side of Halsted. If the specific blocks in this proposal include businesses that are open past retail hours (like bars and restaurants, for example), then they shouldn't be dead at night. The buildings in the rendering, as you noted, appear to be urban. When finally built, they better look real urban, and not fake urban like some kitschy faux-urban strip mall that you'd find in a suburb.

One thing I'm wondering, perhaps it's evident to some people (maybe I didn't read the development description properly), is what the proposed tower will be used for. Residential? Commercial?

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; March 20th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM   #524
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Even on South Beach, when I was there for the Winter Music Conference in 2006, the places I enjoyed the most by far were the small intimate bars where a good house dj had the most impact. And South Beach is littered with little bars like that, which is why I love South Beach and hate hate hate Las Vegas. Las Vages is all mega-clubs.
I think we are exact opposites, ive sort of been disappointed in the underground scene in Chicago, Detroit def has a stronger one that get broken up way less often, but maybe thats because Detroit doesnt really have any good legit places to party. Also having partied at the mega clubs in Europe they put america to shame, also heard the same thing about asian clubs from my friends. Theres nothing better then being surrounded by a 1,000 other people dancing with the music blasting. Only place i can really get that experience in Chicago is at Congress some great times ive had there
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #525
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Studio Gang pavilion

Jim Watkins/ flickr
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #526
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

is that a permanent installation?
very very cool, its now the new background
on my computer.
and where exactly is that?
i would guess south of fullerton by the lake
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #527
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
There is a funny article in the latest CS Magazine, you know the big glossy free one with a bunch of ads and pictures of local celebrities at charity events. It talks about when shoppers are craving a mall so they can drive and won't have to worry about parking, they no longer have to go out to the burbs, they can just head to the North and Clybourn area. I guess every place validates parking in the area? This development will certainly help make this area one big mall. There is the proposed New City development too, but at least they will have residential buildings.

I wonder if they could actually land a department store, in a much better retail climate of course.

I think the North and Clybourn area will eventually equilibrate,
it was too heavy on the retail/bar aspect and will have more
a neigborhoody feel to it, especially when the apple store is done
and i know that the apple people are putting alot of money into the el
there and yeah when that new flatiron type building at north and clybourne
comes to fruitition, though jeez is it going to be as cool
as it was first proposed.

Thats one project i wish would have been completed before the bubble
burst, but atleast there is sono, which is kindof a downtown
type project that leapfrogged into the area.
When you see sono, you can see the future of the area,
very cool.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #528
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

Anyone have any pictures of DePaul's construction? They have a lot going on right by the Fullerton station so im guessing a few pics wouldn't be that hard to come by. I'm gone for the summer and therefore woefully uniformed about the progress.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #529
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
i would guess south of fullerton by the lake
That's the Park West high rise in the background, so it's just east of where Armitage meets Clark. Official blurb from the Gang website:

Quote:
The project transforms a concrete-edged, 19th-century urban park pond fed by city tap water into an exhibit on pond life and natural habitat. Improvements include pond rehabilitation, landscaping, accessible pathways, educational pavilions and exhibit design.

A new boardwalk circumscribing the pond passes through different educational zones, describing animals, plants and habitat. Two pavilions integrated into the boardwalk sequence provide shelter for open-air classrooms on the site. Their structures, inspired by the tortoise shell, consist of a series of pre-fabricated pods inter-connected to give global curvature to the surface.
Currently, there's a video of the construction on their home page as well. http://www.studiogang.net
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #530
Urbanight

^Lincoln Park South Pond, near the zoo.
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #531
spyguy
Expert

DePaul projects (updated renderings)

Art museum

New academic building

Cacciatore Stadium

Theatre School - I assume this is the new [Cesar Pelli] design since it was in a DePaul magazine
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #532
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder11.article

BRING IT ON
DAVID ROEDER August 11, 2010

LG Development Group and Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture said they have broken ground on Row 2750, an 11-home rowhouse and condo development at 2750 N. Lakewood. The prices run from $700,000 to $1.4 million, and the developers say three of the homes have been sold.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM   #533
tkelly1986

Living out of state now, I have fallen out of the loop on the impending transformation of Children’s Memorial. Has there been any update on this site which, if I remember correctly, will be abandoned in 2012? I have searched the internet and not found anything dated later than 2009.

Secondly, with DePaul’s master plan and quest to expand student housing options, why has this site not been explored for a student housing complex? Residents have called for housing on the site in the first place, so why not this population in great need for housing. DePaul has said repeatedly that they have a significant under supply in student housing options; only offering 3,000 beds to mainly underclassmen. In contrast, Loyola has 4,100 beds and is still exploring additional expansion.

Anyone have insight as to why DePaul has not been active? Or is there speculation they are going to try to bid for the land, but just want to stay under the radar?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM   #534
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
The buildings look urban, but the thing is no one lives on these streets... I wonder if they could actually land a department store, in a much better retail climate of course.
Once SoNo is fully occupied and perhaps done -- and remember, getting the residential west of Halsted was a huge fight -- Weed Street is done for anyhow.

A department store. Now, that's a curious idea from the 19th century.

Quote:
If the specific blocks in this proposal include businesses that are open past retail hours (like bars and restaurants, for example), then they shouldn't be dead at night... One thing I'm wondering, perhaps it's evident to some people (maybe I didn't read the development description properly), is what the proposed tower will be used for. Residential? Commercial?
If the uses are complementary, then they can all share parking, too. The tower/no tower is perhaps what they mean by "our flexible zoning allows us to build more if someone asks" -- under C3-5, I think that means office is okay but not residential.
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #535
spyguy
Expert

More photos of the Studio Gang pavilion (screenshots from )

709 Willow - 5 units

Trader Joe's in U/C on Diversey. The old B&N and Pier 1 will turn into an Ann Taylor LOFT and Urban Outfitters (relocating). The old Pottery Barn location on North Avenue will become a Forever 21.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:05 AM   #536
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...park-site.html

Children’s taps U.S. Equities to sell Lincoln Park site
By Bruce Japsen 11:57 a.m.

Children’s Memorial Hospital has hired Chicago-based commercial real estate firm U.S. Equities Realty to market the land and building at its current tony Lincoln Park location.

Calling it “one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the Midwest,” hospital officials are hoping the prime six-acre real estate site will fetch a large sum.
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:34 AM   #537
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ If they really want to fetch top dollar, they should do all of the zoning legwork (community meetings, etc) to get a fairly dense proposal approved at this site.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM   #538
tkelly1986

Anyone want to speculate where this land deal is going? Is there really a market out there for a large development or would this be best suited for DePaul to develope? If the latter is the case, what would DePaul do with this property? Housing?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM   #539
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
Anyone want to speculate where this land deal is going? Is there really a market out there for a large development or would this be best suited for DePaul to develope? If the latter is the case, what would DePaul do with this property? Housing?
I go to DePaul and I live on campus and I know for a fact that they don't want to buy that land. They want the music school designated as thier eastern border of thier campus, specifically halsted street.

They're much more interested in buying up the U-Haul on Racine, the Little Sisters of the Poor Site, and building on low density sites they've already purchased. There is a lot of oppourtunity to extend housing and academic options without moving, expensively any further west.

And when it comes to the sports arena, I'd rather have the Finkl site. More space and less nimbys. Becuase Orchard is pretty quiet and I think the residents would want to keep it that way.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #540
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksplace27 View Post
Because Orchard is pretty quiet and I think the residents would want to keep it that way.
I'm quite certain the remaining homeowners would be completely against a development that would bring even MORE young drunks to their doorsteps. I can say that because I (proudly!) used to be one of those drunks, renting on that block of Orchard. I'm guessing any re-development will mean expensive townhouses/mansions along the east side of Orchard.

It will be fun to see how this site is re-used, especially if deep-pockets DePaul isn't interested. Awesome location, but so expensive to re-develop, and I'm thinking high rises aren't going to fly either.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote