daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM   #581
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Curbed is reporting that Alderman Vi Daley has decided to support the Webster Square development:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ter-square.php

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #582
Ordoseclorum

Likes (Received): 0

Was driving on Diversey yesterday and saw this construction. It looks like they are remodeling that auto dealership between Sheffield and Racine so that it has a wall abutting the sidewalk. It used to be a parking lot in front, so a nice improvement. You can see the rendering on the poster. Camera-phone, so poor quality.

This stretch of Diversey is seeing a lot of development right now.

Ordoseclorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #583
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Yeah, I saw that as well.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #584
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Yeah, I saw that as well.

That will be a fantastic looking dealership... kudos to the owner.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #585
spyguy
Expert

Possible developments

Kingsbury and Weed

Weed Street development
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #586
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Yuck. Hate them all.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #587
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

atleast that second one has 3 floors and is partially built to the property... the first one though is just hedious....
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #588
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Webster Square approved by city council Zoning Committee today.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #589
spyguy
Expert

The buildings at 1948-1950 N Burling are set to be demolished for a future mansion.

All this can be yours for the low, low price of $8.8 million:

Conceptual design only, although it's probably not far off based on previous Burling residences.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #590
spyguy
Expert

Children's Memorial Update

http://www.suntimes.com/business/485...ital-site.html

Four bidders vie for Children’s Memorial Hospital site
By David Roeder

Children’s Memorial Hospital, which is selling its Lincoln Park property, said Friday it has narrowed to four its list of developers wanting to buy it.

....Details of the competing plans were not released. Children’s said it hopes to select a winner early in the summer.

Contenders making the cutoff are: David “Buzz” Ruttenberg and Greg Merdinger of Belgravia Group Ltd., with architectural firm GREC; Hines Interests LP and Magellan Development Group LLC, with architectural firm HOK; McCaffery Interests with architectural firm Antunovich Associates; and Related Midwest with architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #591
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

It'll be interesting to see what replaces the ugly (1960s? 70s? 80s?) Children's Memorial Hospital in this prime & dense urban location, surrounded by historic pre-WWII buildings from all directions.

Oh, and the ugly Children's parking garage across the street (across Lincoln). That can go too.

Although, looking at the Children's complex in Google Earth and Streetview, it looks like the following pre-WWII buildings also belong to Children's:
  • The 5-story brick Martha Wilson Memorial building on the southwest corner of Fullerton and Orchard. Looks like it's physically connected to the main Children's building. There's also a nice 5-story brick building at 2342 N Orchard, just south of (and physically connected to) the Martha Wilson building. It looks new, but worth preserving. It looks like it was designed to blend with the original Martha Wilson building.
  • The beautiful 2-story white building at 2373-2375 N Lincoln, bordered by Lincoln and Fullerton (the southeast corner of Lincoln and Fullerton)
  • The beautiful 2-story across the street from the main Children's block (across Lincoln from the main Children's block, on the west side of Lincoln). Its address is 2380 N Lincoln, and occupies the south corner of Halsted and Lincoln.
  • The interesting industrial-looking brick building on the east side Lincoln, just south of the 2373-2375 N Lincoln building.

I really hope these pre-WWII buildings are preserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
It is still unclear why DePaul has not entered the picture on the Children’s Memorial site; especially when they are proposing a housing/retail/classroom complex on the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield and have a huge unmet demand for student housing.
Do you mean, why isn't DePaul pursuing the Children's site instead of the Fullerton/Sheffield site? If it's either/or, then I really hope they stick with developing the northwest corner of Sheffield and Fullerton, which is just an open lot.

It looks like DePaul is planning additional student housing on other sites as well, not just the Fullerton/Sheffield site. You can see it in their master plan.

And looking at the master plan, it looks like they're planning to pedestrianize Kenmore Avenue, between Fullerton and Belden, which I think is a great idea.

And they're going to tear down the awful McGaw building. (see current map for comparison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksplace27 View Post
I don't have any specific insider info or anything, but it seems to me that they are using thier money now not to purchase new land but to build on land that is underutilized that they already have. The Children's memorial spot would be expensive to buy and convert into classroom space. If they wait for the U-Haul or little sister's to move (decently likely, given the areas growwth and delapidated nature of both properties) They can buy the same amount of land closer to the main areas of campus for far less money.

I think the administation sees that buying the Children's hospital site would be expensive and a bad move overall for the university.
That makes sense too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
All images from Apple
I just love this space.

What a fantastic public space, Chicago desperately needs more like them.

The sculpture-like Apple Store, the CTA station, and the public space between them...just perfect for the little block between North, Halsted, and Clybourn.

Now what this area needs is the development of the lot occupying the southeast corner of Clybourn and Halsted.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; April 24th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #592
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
looks like DePaul is planning additional student housing on other sites as well, not just the Fullerton/Sheffield site. You can see it in their master plan.
^ Nice link.

I really wish they were planning to redevelop the school of music building. It is the only building that isn't flush with the Lincoln/Fullerton intersection. That intersection really should be given more importance.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #593
ins0mn1ac

Quote:

I just love this space.

What a fantastic public space, Chicago desperately needs more like them.

The sculpture-like Apple Store, the CTA station, and the public space between them...just perfect for the little block between North, Halsted, and Clybourn.

Now what this area needs is the development of the lot occupying the southeast corner of Clybourn and Halsted.
I feel the exact opposite way about the apple space on North. The space now feels like they tried to force a strip mall experience into a central city block.

Prior to the renovation, the CTA station faced the sidewalks and invited in people who were walking by. Now the station has been modified to force you to walk toward the apple store as you exit. As you leave the train, you feel like you're walking toward a wall rather than onto a sidewalk or public space.

The "park" between the store and station is also a terrible waste. In a city that prides itself on green space, this space feels more like a parking lot repurposed as a fountain than an area for people. A few withered trees and a fountain cut into a concrete slab is not a very inviting place. I can't say I've ever seen anyone using the space since it opened.

The apple store itself is also a great disappointment. The actual store itself feels like a high-school cafeteria inside. On top of that, it sits very strangely on the Clybourn/North/Halsted corner. The silver square box looks and feels totally out of place when walking around that area. If you happen to be walking on the western edge of Halsted running along the apple box, you feel like you're walking in a silver alley. The store rides right on top of the sidewalk and makes it feel like a place you shouldn't be walking.

Overall, for a company that prides itself on design, they blew this one. I was happier with the gas station that was there before the apple mess hall.
ins0mn1ac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #594
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mn1ac View Post
I feel the exact opposite way about the apple space on North. The space now feels like they tried to force a strip mall experience into a central city block.

Prior to the renovation, the CTA station faced the sidewalks and invited in people who were walking by. Now the station has been modified to force you to walk toward the apple store as you exit. As you leave the train, you feel like you're walking toward a wall rather than onto a sidewalk or public space.

The "park" between the store and station is also a terrible waste. In a city that prides itself on green space, this space feels more like a parking lot repurposed as a fountain than an area for people. A few withered trees and a fountain cut into a concrete slab is not a very inviting place. I can't say I've ever seen anyone using the space since it opened.

The apple store itself is also a great disappointment. The actual store itself feels like a high-school cafeteria inside. On top of that, it sits very strangely on the Clybourn/North/Halsted corner. The silver square box looks and feels totally out of place when walking around that area. If you happen to be walking on the western edge of Halsted running along the apple box, you feel like you're walking in a silver alley. The store rides right on top of the sidewalk and makes it feel like a place you shouldn't be walking.

Overall, for a company that prides itself on design, they blew this one. I was happier with the gas station that was there before the apple mess hall.
Worst first post ever.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #595
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

actually, I agree with some of his points...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #596
tkelly1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post

Do you mean, why isn't DePaul pursuing the Children's site instead of the Fullerton/Sheffield site? If it's either/or, then I really hope they stick with developing the northwest corner of Sheffield and Fullerton, which is just an open lot.

It looks like DePaul is planning additional student housing on other sites as well, not just the Fullerton/Sheffield site. You can see it in their master plan
No, DePaul already owns the Fullerton/Sheffield Block. Thus, purchasing the Children's Memorial site would not be mutually exclusive.

However, considering the recent announcement of finalists, one must ask: is DePaul covertly pursuing this property? I am curious, because Antunovich Associates is one the architectural firms working on a bid. This is pure speculation, but Antunovich Associates has designed most buildings on DePaul’s LP campus, developed their master plan and seems to specialize in academic/and or college residential buildings. Thus, could DePaul be working through a third party to develop this land? And if so, for what?
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #597
skyduster

That's a very interesting thing that you noticed. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Quote:
Prior to the renovation, the CTA station faced the sidewalks and invited in people who were walking by. Now the station has been modified to force you to walk toward the apple store as you exit.
That's interesting. To be honest, I never noticed which way the station faced before the renovation, because I never used that station. But I see your point. I gave the space a fresh look in Google Streetview, and it looks like, if you're walking eastward along North or Clybourn, you can't see that there's a CTA station there, unless you get right up close to it. The Streetview pictures are a bit old, as they still show the Apple Store under construction, but I believe that Streetview's picture of the CTA station shows that building in its current state...but wait a minute....

....looking at the station more closely in Streetview...in those pictures, the station is still under renovation, it looks like, or at least nearing the completion of its renovation. Even so, you can tell that the entire structure is original, they didn't change it...they only restored it. So, the station always looked in the same direction, it looks like. And where that pizza restaurant is, attached to the station...that part of the building that faces the North/Clybourn corner must have always been rented for retail/restaurant, I'm guessing? Can anyone confirm?

I think the only difference between the before and after is that: the CTA station/pizzeria building looks fresh and restored (not changed), and that instead of the CTA station facing a small street that ran between it and the gas station (that was replaced by the Apple Store), the CTA station now faces a square. The square replaced a little street, and thankfully so.

Quote:
Oh, I highly disagree with you here. Chicago doesn't need more parks; Chicago's got plenty of parks. Chicago needs public squares, something sorely lacking in American cities, except New York. And this little spot was perfect for a little square. A public square is mostly paved. The vegetation is mostly ornamental, and some public squares also have fountains and what not. But a public square is mainly paved, and that's what this space is. It's a public square, with adequate vegetation for such a space (and keep in mind the trees are still young), and a nice fountain installation. I am a little disappointed though with the little square's furniture...the dainty-looking [aluminum?] chairs and tables, instead of fixed benches...but it's still a great space.

boycott dolphinariums

Last edited by skyduster; April 28th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #598
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
No, DePaul already owns the Fullerton/Sheffield Block. Thus, purchasing the Children's Memorial site would not be mutually exclusive.

However, considering the recent announcement of finalists, one must ask: is DePaul covertly pursuing this property? I am curious, because Antunovich Associates is one the architectural firms working on a bid. This is pure speculation, but Antunovich Associates has designed most buildings on DePaul’s LP campus, developed their master plan and seems to specialize in academic/and or college residential buildings. Thus, could DePaul be working through a third party to develop this land? And if so, for what?
First of all, it's probably mutually exclusive. They cannot both develop the fullerton and sheffield block by 2016 and purchase the Children's Memorial Hospital, much less develop it. They could buy the land, but then they have no money to develop the park lot at fullerton/sheffield and are hamstrung by a gigantic, expensive to repurpose hospital. I say let the private sector develop a cool mixed use complex and DePaul develop all of the lots that they currently own and expand to less expensive properties to the west.

Second of all, McCaffery Interests is the real estate guys working with Antounovich on this bid. They also own the South Works, so they seem pretty established and pretty keen on redeveloping the area as best they can. I really hope they don't get it. I hate Antunovich for reasons that anyone who follows DePaul's recent building spree would agree with. But soon Cesar Pelli will grace our campus with a starchitect gem...

Nevetheless, I would like to see some part of the complex developed into privately owned, but DePaul affiliated student housing. Smithfield developed 1237 West link, which is basically a dorm that was developed and run by depaul-affiliated but not university employed people. I am in support of this becuase the developer fronts the money and runs the complex at profit, but the University reaps the rewards of a more residental student focused campus. Also a little competition would do 1237 West some good. They are charging 1000 dollars a month to have a student live there which strikes me as a bit exhorbitant. If a larger complex could undercut them, that would make things much easier on students trying live on campus (like me ).
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #599
spyguy
Expert

Trader Joe's is now open

Red Eye Chicago/ Jackie Keenan
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #600
skyduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksplace27 View Post
But soon Cesar Pelli will grace our campus with a starchitect gem...
That's incredible, I didn't know that.

I found this article here that confirms what you just said. In the article is this image of a building designed by his firm Pelli Clarke Pelli for the WIU campus, and I think it's quite ugly...but several of his other works are gorgeous, particularly his post-2000 skyscrapers (which show how his style has refined and matured from the late 80s/early 90s). I hope DePaul and Lincoln Park get an amazing new building from Pelli.

boycott dolphinariums