daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #601
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^you got that right, that thing is hideous. I'm sure that's just a proportionate concept and not an actual vision. It's just far too bland...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #602
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
That's incredible, I didn't know that.

I found this article here that confirms what you just said. In the article is this image of a building designed by his firm Pelli Clarke Pelli for the WIU campus, and I think it's quite ugly...but several of his other works are gorgeous, particularly his post-2000 skyscrapers (which show how his style has refined and matured from the late 80s/early 90s). I hope DePaul and Lincoln Park get an amazing new building from Pelli.
Yeah im really excited and I hope it's the start of a more progressive architectural building spree.

Last edited by nicksplace27; May 17th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #603
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

Follow the link to Pelli's website and you can see renderings of what the new DePaul Theater School will look like. According to the alumni newsletter, groundbreaking is scheduled for June 1st.

http://www.pcparch.com/#/projects/pe...heater-school/

A quick commentary on the project; I am a fan of the design and think it will be a great diversion from the bland red bricks that dominates DePaul’s campus (which is imposed by the neighbors, not the university). However, I would prefer a better location, as the corner of Racine and Fullerton seems a bit out of the way.

I feel a magnificent structure deserves a prominent location. For example, the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield (university owned parking lot) would place it at the center of campus, steps from the EL (and viewable from it) and on a busy intersection. I believe the university would benefit from having this building exposed instead of tucking it away at the edge of campus.

Last edited by tkelly1986; May 17th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM   #604
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....lincoln-p.html

DePaul breaking ground today on new theater building designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli
June 1, 2011
Blair Kamin

DePaul University is breaking ground today on a $69 million theater building that will form a western gateway to its Lincoln Park campus. The design, whose cantilevered corner resembles an upside-down wedding cake, departs from DePaul's practice of hiring Chicago architect Joe Antunovich to design brick-faced buildings that fit quietly into the neighborhood.

The five-story building, which will be located at the southwest corner of Fullerton and Racine Avenues and will house a 250-seat theater and a flexible, 100-seat "black box" theater, clearly aims to make a strong visual statement.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:11 PM   #605
chikid

Likes (Received): 11

I actually think that the Theater School will look good there. I really don't like how Fullerton looks between Sheffield and Southport right now. The street just doesn't flow very well, I think this will definitely help that out. I really hope that one day DePaul can take over the storage place across the street and build something nice. Same goes for the gas station across the street from DePaul.
chikid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #606
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Refresh my memory, what currently occupies that space?

As for the design, it looks kind of mediocre IMO. And it's a little reminiscent of the DePaul's brutalist SAC building. I think it's the concrete-looking exterior that gives me that impression in combination with the design. Although, it appears a bit more street-friendly and has lots of windows.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #607
msu2001la

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
Refresh my memory, what currently occupies that space?

As for the design, it looks kind of mediocre IMO. And it's a little reminiscent of the DePaul's brutalist SAC building. I think it's the concrete-looking exterior that gives me that impression in combination with the design. Although, it appears a bit more street-friendly and has lots of windows.
The site is currently a DePaul surface parking lot. Next to that (west on Fullerton) is the 1237 West project: http://www.smith-field.com/1237-west-loft-chicago.html
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #608
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ These developments really are going a long way towards creating a bustling urban district on that particular block. Now if only we could redevelop those nasty strip malls just to the west of that...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #609
tkelly1986

I heard a rumor yesterday that DePaul has been active over the past few weeks/months purchasing (more) property around campus; specifically, some houses on the SE corner of Belden and Bissell and parcels currently controlled by Children’s Memorial. Could anyone confirm this?

Regarding the Belden properties, I understand the houses have already need demolished (or are in the process of being)? If so, I am curious what the university has in store for this land, as it is not discussed in the master plan. Nor are plans for the Children’s Memorial property if this is indeed true.

I will note, however, that I believe the Children’s Memorial property is not contiguous with the hospital and are other buildings in the neighborhood.
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #610
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Does anyone know what's going on at the old Blockbuster on Clark and Wrightwood? It seems like the building is being readied for a permanent tenant. Last Saturday, there was a crane on Clark that was hoisting what may have been an HVAC system onto the roof.
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:39 AM   #611
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Apparently, a restaurant that will serve alcoholic beverages is going into the old Blockbuster.
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #612
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Belden-Stratford is for sale. I hope the new buyer takes care of this beauty.

The former Park View Hotel will become the "Hotel Lincoln" and will have a rooftop bar.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...1456770.column

Hotel on the way
Melissa Harris July 31, 2011

Joie de Vivre, a San Francisco boutique hotel company in which John Pritzker has a majority stake, will open its first Chicago hotel in February. Pritzker is a son of late Hyatt Hotels Corp. founder Jay Pritzker and lives in California.

Joie de Vivre will manage the 184-room, 12-story property, to be called Hotel Lincoln, on North Clark Street in Lincoln Park. Restaurant Perennial Virant opened in the building earlier this year and will supply room service for guests.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #613
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Belden-Stratford is for sale. I hope the new buyer takes care of this beauty.
+1

Gorgeous building. Being in such a prime location, I wouldn't worry about the new owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Does anyone know what's going on at the old Blockbuster on Clark and Wrightwood? It seems like the building is being readied for a permanent tenant. Last Saturday, there was a crane on Clark that was hoisting what may have been an HVAC system onto the roof.
Check out my post here (the middle section of my post, where I respond to tkelly1986). On DePaul's master plan, it looks like DePaul has been planning to buy that site, as well as the industrial building next to it, and build a residential/classroom/hotel/retail complex. Hopefully DePaul is sticking to these plans, and that crane you saw was getting ready to actually demolish that eyesore (not sure why it would be hoisting an HVAC-looking thing to the roof, though).

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; August 4th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #614
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^You're thinking Fullerton & Kenmore. The building I'm referring to is on Clark & Wrightwood.
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #615
Lakeviewer

Fresh Casual Italian Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^You're thinking Fullerton & Kenmore. The building I'm referring to is on Clark & Wrightwood.

http://chicago.eater.com/tags/vapiano

I knew I saw it posted somewhere else awhile back
Lakeviewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #616
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^Thanks.

This is an interesting quote:
Quote:
"'Why Chicago next? [It's the] next city similar to a European city,' said Bill Bessette, CEO of Vapiano USA."
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #617
tkelly1986

Has anyone heard the latest on the Children's Memorial site/McCaffery? There have been no renderings or indication of what might be included. I have heard rumors of a hotel, lower-income housing, green space, a town square ext...But nothing concrete. Furthermore, I heard rumors that DePaul was looking to partner on some of the property with McCaffery, such as the parking garage. Does anyone have more news on that? Will DePaul make a move on any of the property? Or, will there be student housing on any piece?
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #618
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^Here is a write-up I did on Children's for Curbed. At this point, DePaul will have nothing to do with the plans.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...trickle-in.php
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #619
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

I hope that community pushes McCaffery on their architecture. I am not impressed with the architecture of their projects. It's not terrible but very it's safe and almost suburban.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #620
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^I attended the Children's Memorial Hosp meeting last night. The possibility of adding new architects was brought up, and the developer is open to the idea. Here's my write-up for Curbed, if anyone wants the details:

Quote:
Plans for Children's Memorial Hospital Site Becoming Clearer

Thursday, December 15, 2011, by Kevin Dickert

To update our coverage of the Children's Memorial Hospital redevelopment, Curbed attended last night's "Conceptual Plan Town Hall Meeting" in Lincoln Park. This is the 24th meeting since McCaffery Interests was selected as developer for the project.

Here's the timeline: City Council is set to vote in the third quarter of 2012; Children's Memorial Hospital moves to its new digs in Streeterville on June 9, 2012; and, during the summer and fall of 2012, the old hospital will be decommissioned. Buildings will be available for demolition in November 2012. Daniel McCaffery and 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith both stressed the desire to begin work as soon as possible.

More here: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ng-clearer.php