daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #621
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^I attended the Children's Memorial Hosp meeting last night. The possibility of adding new architects was brought up, and the developer is open to the idea. Here's my write-up for Curbed, if anyone wants the details:
Good skyscapercity/page repeat offenders should be hired by chicago curbed.
What about spyguy? They mention him all the time, its about time they just hired him.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #622
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
At this point, DePaul will have nothing to do with the plans.
I really think this is DePaul's loss. They could have done so much with the space for housing and classroom expansion, or IIRC this was one of the sites for an on campus arena? That more than anything would help the university IMO. A lot of people I know that go there hate having to get bussed over to the Allstate arena.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #623
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Here's a rendering the plans. Obviously, it's just a massing model, not the actual architecture:
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #624
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Pelli-designed DePaul theater building
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #625
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^I attended the Children's Memorial Hosp meeting last night. The possibility of adding new architects was brought up, and the developer is open to the idea. Here's my write-up for Curbed, if anyone wants the details:

Quote:
Plans for Children's Memorial Hospital Site Becoming Clearer

Thursday, December 15, 2011, by Kevin Dickert

To update our coverage of the Children's Memorial Hospital redevelopment, Curbed attended last night's "Conceptual Plan Town Hall Meeting" in Lincoln Park. This is the 24th meeting since McCaffery Interests was selected as developer for the project.

Here's the timeline: City Council is set to vote in the third quarter of 2012; Children's Memorial Hospital moves to its new digs in Streeterville on June 9, 2012; and, during the summer and fall of 2012, the old hospital will be decommissioned. Buildings will be available for demolition in November 2012. Daniel McCaffery and 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith both stressed the desire to begin work as soon as possible.

More here: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ng-clearer.php
Fantastic news! Looks like they'll be keeping all the pre-WWII buildings that I mentioned here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
It'll be interesting to see what replaces the ugly (1960s? 70s? 80s?) Children's Memorial Hospital in this prime & dense urban location, surrounded by historic pre-WWII buildings from all directions.

Oh, and the ugly Children's parking garage across the street (across Lincoln). That can go too.

Although, looking at the Children's complex in Google Earth and Streetview, it looks like the following pre-WWII buildings also belong to Children's:
  • The 5-story brick Martha Wilson Memorial building on the southwest corner of Fullerton and Orchard. Looks like it's physically connected to the main Children's building. There's also a nice 5-story brick building at 2342 N Orchard, just south of (and physically connected to) the Martha Wilson building. It looks new, but worth preserving. It looks like it was designed to blend with the original Martha Wilson building.
  • The beautiful 2-story white building at 2373-2375 N Lincoln, bordered by Lincoln and Fullerton (the southeast corner of Lincoln and Fullerton)
  • The beautiful 2-story across the street from the main Children's block (across Lincoln from the main Children's block, on the west side of Lincoln). Its address is 2380 N Lincoln, and occupies the south corner of Halsted and Lincoln.
  • The interesting industrial-looking brick building on the east side Lincoln, just south of the 2373-2375 N Lincoln building.

I really hope these pre-WWII buildings are preserved.
Of course, they'll also keep the parking garage, which I don't care for. But they plan to "soften" its appearance, which hopefully works out well.

I'm especially happy that they're keeping the boiler room (which I originally referred to as "the interesting industrial-looking brick building").

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #626
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

Just an FYI; DePaul is picking up some Children's Memorial real estate with the purchase of their 3 story Belden Ave office building. It doesn't look as though much will change with the building, as its intended use is for offices and classroom space. Nevertheless, I know folks on here are always curious about DePaul's expansion.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...morial-campus/
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #627
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

DePaul arena

Quote:
http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/...786&feedID=630

DePaul looking to build new arena, land Chicago area stars

March 27, 2012

DePaul University, seeking to continue upgrading its men’s basketball program, has developed a strategic plan that involves building a new arena near the school’s Lincoln Park campus. The plan requires approval from the university’s board of trustees and will be on the agenda for its May meeting.

If approved it will allow the university to hire the necessary consultants to prepare a feasibility study, which is the first step in planning the construction of an arena that is expected to seat between 10,000-12,000 fans. There are two parcels of land that have long been rumored as potential sites for a new DePaul arena including the Finkl Steel property which is walking distance from the DePaul campus. Also on the potential list of sites is a property that has housed the Morton Salt Company on Elston Avenue near both the Kennedy Expressway and the Chicago River.............
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #628
tkelly1986

Likes (Received): 0

More to the DePaul basketball story.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/spor...field-20120327
tkelly1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote