daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM   #1
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

Building Materials vs. Buiding Design

What catches your eye more?

Building Materials (colour/texture combinations)

Building Design (craftsmanship)
gonzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Maha

Likes (Received): 0

a. building materials are part of building design, you cant design without taking materials, colour, texture as well as form into account.

b. what catches your eye depends on the background really - if you place the top building in the middle of a line of buildings of the same type, why should it be special?

c. If you mean "which do you think is nicer/more beautiful" then it is a matter of personal taste, personally I like traditional styles more in general but the one you posted here - I didnt like it at all.
Maha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 331

What i hate about so many buildings popping up in China is that the facade is great but the quality of construction and methodology is poor and outdated. It costs more to have high quality construction.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM   #4
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
a. building materials are part of building design, you cant design without taking materials, colour, texture as well as form into account.
I used the word "design" to try to make some distinction between the word "architecture" which would more clearly suggest 'the entire package'.

Ok, so my terminology isn't that of an architect, but I thought I made it pretty evident what it is I was asking.

Quote:
b. what catches your eye depends on the background really - if you place the top building in the middle of a line of buildings of the same type, why should it be special?
Ok, use whatever scenario you like...as long as you apply the same context to the building you're comparing it with.
Quote:

c. If you mean "which do you think is nicer/more beautiful" then it is a matter of personal taste
Of course it is.

Quote:
personally I like traditional styles more in general but the one you posted here - I didnt like it at all.
The one I posted is Notre-Dame Cathedral, considered a 'must-see' if touring Paris.
gonzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

both
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:37 AM   #6
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

Design is FAR FAR more important. For example most stone/concrete buildings in the latter half of the 20th century have turned into nothing more than ugly boxes, the most interesting buildings being made from glass and steel to cover up their dull designs. But stone and concrete buildings at the beginning of the 20th century, for example Art Deco, are much more elaborate and elegant. I like Art Deco more than any other architectural period simply for that reason.
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM   #7
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8170

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo
What catches your eye more?

Building Materials (colour/texture combinations)

Building Design (craftsmanship)
Both - materials and design.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:19 AM   #8
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

If I had to choose than design would win. But both are very important.