daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1
Carletto
SLO-Zeneise inside

Likes (Received): 592

My Ukrainian Trip Part 1: KYIV [56k beware!]

I just come back from my trip to Ukraine, so I think it can be nice to share some of the pictures I took during my 15 days around this big Eastern European country.

During the trip I visited Kyiv then I went south to Crimea, then north to Odessa and up to L'viv before going back to the capital again to fly back to Italy.

But let's start with the capital of Ukraine.

Київ

La mia seconda patria / moja druga domovina: SLOvely... in love with Slovenia!

Last edited by Carletto; August 24th, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Carletto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Sergei
iMod

Likes (Received): 11

Hey! Glad to see you back from your trip ... alive!
Just joking. Hope you had a good time!

Kyiv is looking great. Nice pics, although it's a shame they aren't bigger. You should also repost these on the Ukrainian forum and Eastern Europe.

Thanks for the pics!
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Carletto
SLO-Zeneise inside

The original pics are much bigger, but bandwidth is expensive! If you want some in the bigger version there's no problem, but I cannot post them all!

I'm surely going to post it in the Ukrainian forum too, as I already did on the EE. And of course Crimea, Odessa and Lviv will come soon too...

P.S.: Happy Independence Day!
P.P.S.: I had BIG problems for transportation... but I could visit almost all I wanted to (I missed only Chernihiv), so it was harder, but ok!

Old August 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Carletto
SLO-Zeneise inside

Ok, for your joy I converted the pics in 1024x768, I hope it's better now, at least for fast connections!

Here are some bonus pics from my last evening in Kyiv, mostly taken on Shevchenko Prospekt from my hotel!

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Sergei
iMod

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks a lot! The bigger pics are MUCH better! If you're worrying about bandwidth just upload them to ImageShack.us!

What happened with your transportation?
Tell us more!

Anyway, can't wait for your Lviv pics!
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Beautiful city!!! I've not seen such a nice thread of Kyiv so far
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Carletto
SLO-Zeneise inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei
What happened with your transportation?
Tell us more!
It's a long story!
Fortunately my host in Kyiv booked me (and my 3 friends) the train to Simferopol in advance, so that was good start of the trip.
When we arrived in Simferopol we wanted to book at once a train to Odessa which we wanted to take 6 days later. No chance, all trains were booked for weeks, both day and night.
We found a good hotel where they helped us in English (no one there in Crimea speaks English, except in some hotels) and we cound rent a car for 6 days and booked a night bus to Odessa.

The night bus was quite terrible, 12 hours with really little space for legs, I hardly slept 1 or 2 hours, behing me there were 2 very fat ladies so I couldn't put the seat down, it was quite a hard journey (at around midnight we stopped in some town, I went down just to move my legs and there was a tank parked in front of a bar with military people having vodka! Wow! ).

We arrived in Odessa quite early in the morning so we went at once to the station looking for a train to Lviv. Again no chance. There was no bus either, anyway it was longer than the night before and we were not so happy to take another one... So we tried to rent a car, but in all Odessa there wasn't a single car to rent for weeks! We then found a night train ticket to Kyiv 2 nights later, but I was very sad to miss Lviv and didn't know what to do 2 days more in Odessa (very beautiful city, but I already visited it and wanted to see Lviv).
Finally we found a night bus to Kyiv on the night we wanted to leave, so we took it. It was better than the Crimean one, but it was too fast and at 4am we were at Kyiv bus station, and it was incredibly cold!

We had to wait till 9am before getting a car we booked by phone at Sixt. It was the ONLY car available on rent in all Kyiv that day. A shitty Daewoo Lanos, but it was ok. So we drove 500Km to Lviv. Fortunately I didn't drove all the time, since I was totally dead after another night with no sleep on a bus.

At last I drove back to Kyiv from Lviv, passing through Ternopil, being stopped by the local police too!
If we could go around with night-trains between the cities it would have been much better, anyway fortunately we could visit all we wanted to see, so that's the most important thing!

P.S. Thanks Gatis!

Old August 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #8
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carletto
(at around midnight we stopped in some town, I went down just to move my legs and there was a tank parked in front of a bar with military people having vodka! Wow! ).
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote