daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #101
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

^Thanks! Here's some suburban condos taken on the same day:

Park360:

Plaza88will be fully integrated with the New West skytrain station)

A shot of the Point (Left) and some Bosa building (middle)

Legacy towers:

Last edited by Vanman; July 18th, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #102
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Shangri-La seems to be progressing nicely. When does ground break on 1133 Georgia?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #103
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

Demolition of the existing structure on the site is underway. Ground breaking is scheduled for early 2008 I believe.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #104
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12587

Updated

Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #105
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Updated
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #106
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

awesome thread. the legacy towers are my favorite. they look great in person
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #107
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Updated.

Old February 14th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #108
shivram

Likes (Received): 0

awesome buiding

wow these are Awesome building.
shivram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #109
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 11

Vancouver updates, January 15th, February 4th and 13th, 2008

January 15th, 2008

L'Hermitage ( mixed-use condo, hotel, social housing, grocery store, and retail, Robson and Richards)

(My photo, taken January 15th, 2008)

Raffles on Robson (mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

TV Towers (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

Atelier (mixed-use condo, retail, office, daycare, Robson and Homer)

H+H (mixed-use condo and retail, Homer and Helmcken)

Yaletown Brewing Office Addition (Mainland and Helmcken)

Renos on an office bldg at Homer and Nelson

The Donovan (condo, Richards and Nelson)

1022 Living (mixed-use condo and office, Seymour and Nelson)

Dolce & Vita (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Seymour and Smithe)

Capitol Residences (mixed-use condo, music school, and retail, Seymour and Robson)

Ritz-Carlton (600ft twisting tower, mixed-use hotel-condo, Georgia and Bute)

Shangri-La (650ft tower, city’s tallest, mixed-use hotel-condo-retail-gallery, Georgia and Thurlow)

Flatiron (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Melville)

North elevation as seen from West Pender St.

The Ritz (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Bute)

The Coast Hotel (Hotel, Pender and Bute)

Jameson House (Norman Foster-designed mixed-use condo and office tower, Pender and Howe)

Fairmont Pacific Rim (mixed-use hotel and condo, Burrard and Cordova)

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion (Burrard and Canada Place Way?)

Canada Line Waterfront Station (Granville and Cordova) (I had my camera on panorama mode and thus the vertical horizontal distortion)

Woodwards (2 towers, mixed-use condo, Simon Fraser University campus, office, retail, and social housing, West Hastings and Abbot)

33 Pender (condos, Pender and Abbot)

Espana (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, beside the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain stn)

Bowman Lofts (?) (Beatty and West Pender)

Cooper's Quay (4 towers, condos, Cambie Bridgehead)

Olympic Village (16 buildings, mixed-use condo, retail, community centre, social housing, senior’s housing, marina, streetcar line, grocery store, etc., etc., Southeast False Creek)

Foundry (condos, Southeast False Creek)

The Rise (mixed-use condo and large-format retail, Cambie and 7th)

Crossroads (mixed-use office, condo, restaurants, large-format, retail, Cambie and West Broadway)

Stella (mixed-use condo and large format retail (auto dealership), 12th and Kingsway)

One Kingsway (mixed-use community centre, retail, and rental apartments, Kingsway and 7th)

Now walking back along Broadway to Cambie and then down to the Olympic Village.

West Broadway and Main Street, looking North.

West Broadway at Quebec street, looking west. The SkyTrain Millennium Line will be extended in phases under Broadway to the University of British Columbia (UBC) over the next 12 years. Central Braodway is ahead and it is the second densest concentration of jobs in British Columbia after the downtown core.

Looking south up Quebec street. The articulated diesel bus is part of the #99 B-Line bus rapid transit line that runs along Broadway out to UBC from the major transit hub at Commercial Drive and East Broadway. The #99 B-Line exclusively uses 120-passenger articulated diesel buses with as little as two or three minutes of headway. It currently carries in excess of 70,000 passengers per day and it will be replaced in phases by construction of the above-mentioned extension of the SkyTrain Millennium Line next decade.

Looking north down Quebec street for a glimpse of part of the downtown core.

West Broadway and Cambie Street looking south, just north of City Hall. The enormous construction project is part of the new SkyTrain Canada Line that will connect the city of Vancouver to its southern neighbour Richmond and to the Vancouver International Airport.

Looking north along Cambie Street towards downtown Vancouver. The pit in front is part of the abovementioned SkyTrain Canada Line.

West Broadway experiences a major bottleneck at Cambie street due to the SkyTrain Canada Line construction. It goes from a total of six lanes down to two. The bus-only lanes are forefitted in the intersection and the buses must merge with regular traffic. The bus to the left is one of our new 77-passenger electric trolley buses.

Because of the construction on Cambie it is easier to walk a block east or west of the street when heading north towards the Cambie Street Bridge and downtown. This is at Yukon and 7th. The second building to the left is called The Rise and it is a mixed-use building housing three large format retailers (Home Depot, Winners clothing, and Save on Foods), and a number of rental condos on the upper floors. The building further ahead on the left is also a new building. It houses two large format retailers, Canadian Tire and Best Buy.

Another shot of The Rise.

Ivy is being encouraged to grow up a blank cement wall of the Canadian Tire building. Every new building is expected to have a landscaping plan and the developer pays for the public realm improvements associated with construction of a new building. Some of these improvements include new wider sidewalks, new street trees, etc.

Looking south along Cambie Street. The Rise is on the left and the new public realm it is supplying is taking shape. In the centre up the street is the Canada Line construction. The building on the right is called Crossroads and it is a mixed-use building incorporating a medium-sized office building that will be the corporate headquarters for Yoga wear maker Lululemon, 88 condos, a Whole Foods grocery store, a Royal Bank, and a number of restaurants.

The Cambie Street Bridge is down to two lanes from its previous six in order to make room for the construction of the Canada Line. Pedestrian and cycling access is unaffected.

Looking east at Second Avenue and Cambie towards the Olympic Village construction precinct in Southeast False Creek (SEFC). Most of the Olympic Village surrounding SEFC neighbourhood will be built to about the same approximate height as the building on the right in this photo, which is about 90 feet in height. There will be a number of buildings that reach slightly taller and others, obviously, will be shorter.

Another shot of the Southeast False Creek neighourbood, this time looking east from the Cambie Street Bridge deck. The brick building on the right is being restored and converted to lofts. A streetcar line, Vancouver's first in more than 50 years, will run down First, below, and connect to SkyTrain to the east and Granville Island to the west. Additional phases are planned.

A couple of shots of the Olympic Village showing the mass of cranes.

These folks (below) across False Creek in Yaletown are getting some new neighbours to the east of the Cambie Street Bridge.

These new towers are being built by Concord Pacific in the Cooper’s Quay precinct. Behind them is BC Place, home of the BC Lions football franchise and the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Things are moving along for the Olympic Village itself. Construction continued through the worst of winter without disruption. The weather is fine again, the snow has melted, and the first flowers are starting to bud. It has become a pretty busy place. 12 tower construction cranes are building the 16 buildings, the first of which is about three storeys above ground. The remainder is all below- or at- grade.

The following several shots of the new man-made marine habitat island. The very small bay to the left is where the daylighted stream will empty into False Creek. There are dozens of streams running under Vancouver, all of which were filled in or buried in sewers more than a hundred years ago. One is being daylighted and deeply integrated into the landscaping of the Olympic Village. The elementary school will be right beside it and children can be expected to play on its banks and run across its pedestrian bridges.

The new Seawall features separated pedestrian and bicycle/wheeled vehicle paths, a number of boardwalks that feature recovered wood from the old industrial piers on the site, and an inlet with pedestrian bridge adjacent a piazza and the community centre. A marina for non-motorized boats (Dragon Boat war canoes, kayaks, etc.) will be adjacent.

February 4th

The Ritz

(My photo, taken February 4th, 2008)

The retail podium is turning out quite nice. Is there a specific term for the small "rims" of concrete that protrude out above and beside the window? I like it. I also the like the sloping glass on the second floor and the crisp cornice line it creates. Also, note that the wrapping is being taken off of the red panels. Some of the wrapping was torn off of the building during our last wind storm to reveal a sort of ruddy red colour but thankfully the real red is better.

Red panel detail and that nice glass on the Pender elevation.

The retail podium along Bute. Imagine living in the condo beside those big HVAC units on the roof of the podium. I bet that "view" was not in the sales brochure.

Lastly, a shot of the Ritz and the Flatiron. It isn't the greatest picture. I don't know how to get the most out of my camera on days like this when it is bright outside but overcast.

Flatiron

Woodwards' W43 Tower
Looking east from the pedestrian bridge at Granville and Cordova.

Jameson House
Pender street elevation. The two heritage buildings are fully braced now. The cream coloured one on the left is only having its facade preserved while the old mining museum building beside it is being saved in its entirety.

Detail of the bracing and I guess a nice promo BelPacific (For all your excavation and shoring needs, call BelPacific today!)

Why is BelPacific on site? Because there is excavation underway. Finally. For real this time.

Shangri-La
Looking south on Thurlow.

The "box" near the top of the tower now has glass on two of the two-storey floors.

The now-classic flatiron view.

Looking south from Harbour Green Park. The other two buildings under construction are The Ritz and The Flatiron.

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion
From Canada Place.

Looking north from the driveway of the Shaw Tower. The Fairmont Pacific Rim is to the right.

Looking northeast from the walkway to Harbour Green Park.

Looking east from Harbour Green Park.

For comparison, I took the following picture in late spring last year.

(My photo, taken June 29th, 2007)

February 13th

Pure

(My photo, February 13th, 2008)

Patina

That's a deep pit. The guy at the bottom gives one a sense of scale.

Shangri-La

Canada Line Waterfront Station Switch

Woodwards

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis

Last edited by Vancouverite; February 16th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #110
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

WOW! Thanks for explained about every projects that are happening in Vancouver BC. I love these projects. I wish that they would change the code so these skyscrapers can be more colorful. I think these existing skyscrapers are fine but all they can just add some colors on it.

Do you have the rendering of Winter Olympic Game 2010 site? I don't think I seen it before.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #111
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks for the positive feedback. The photo tour is far from exhaustive and it only covers what is going on in the downtown core and part of West Broadway. There are still a whole lot of towers and mid-rises going up at the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, the City of Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, White Rock, and the half dozen municipalities up the Fraser Valley. I would figure I managed to photograph a fifth or maybe a sixth of the projects that are underway in Metro Vancouver, not including low- and mid-rise residential and commercial buildings. It is quite the boom.

The Olympic Venues:

Vancouver Athlete's Village

Olympic Speed Skating Oval

UBC Winter Sports Facility (links to SkyScraperPage.com)

Olympic International Broadcasting Centre

BC Place Stadium (links to SkyScraperPage.com)

SkyTrain Canada Line (ready in time for the Olympics, not an explicitly Olympic project)

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #112
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Thanks for the links! Canada Line is looking great! Wishing Seattle would have excellent public transit system as Vancouver BC too.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #113
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Updated March. 7
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #114
alphachapmtl

Likes (Received): 1

Vancouver is a wonderful city.
Too bad it's always raining there...
alphachapmtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #115
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphachapmtl View Post
Vancouver is a wonderful city.
Too bad it's always raining there...
...in the winter. Enough about weather please!
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #116
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Updated June 11
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #117
Harbour Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
harberk- Vancouver isn't that small- however, the main reason why the city is so dense, is because it is an island, like Manhattan- thus the high concentrations of condo towers.

p5
unfortunately that isn't quite correct. Richmond, the city just south of Vancouver is an island, but Vancouver is actually on the end of an peninsula.
Harbour Centre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #118
NetMapel

Don't know if you guys are aware of these Wikipedia articles...
List of tallest buildings in Vancouver & future towers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Vancouver

However, Vancouver's tallest building is only 25th in Canada We're beaten by Calgary for heaven's sake :O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ings_in_Canada
NetMapel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #119
The_Dude
Future Architect

Likes (Received): 24

True Calgary has some taller buildings but Vancouver has the better skyline (IMHO) for the moment at least...
The_Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:03 AM   #120
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

vancouver's doing a lot of building,, which is definitely good

but i have to ask....do they have any greenery? parks? social space?

Tags
vancouver