daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #41
Migssant
DR.PlaneSpotter

Likes (Received): 160

nice!!

> Facebook

> Instagram
> Twitter
> Youtube
Migssant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #42
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

it's not a bad airport at all.

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM   #43
Migssant
DR.PlaneSpotter

more piczzz

> Facebook

> Instagram
> Twitter
> Youtube
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM   #44
Migssant
DR.PlaneSpotter

> Facebook

> Instagram
> Twitter
> Youtube
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM   #45
Migssant
DR.PlaneSpotter

And the 777

> Facebook

> Instagram
> Twitter
> Youtube
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM   #46
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Nice pictures sotavento and Migssant, thanks for adding them!

My favourites have to be the busier looking pictures, the ones with aircraft parked on stand with service cars etc all in the picture too.

Migssant, I’m guessing you’re a fan of the Boeing 777? PIA bring their 777s into GLA from time to time and there are pictures of American Airlines and a few other 777s at GLA on airliners.net

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM   #47
Migssant
DR.PlaneSpotter

You're right GlasgowMan, i'm a fan of the Boeing 777... i love that airplane
Look out in my signature in ''Myaviation.net - Luis M. Sanchez'' There are some piczz that i have taken of the majestic Boeing 777-200ER

> Facebook

> Instagram
> Twitter
> Youtube
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #48
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

BAA likely to be forced into sale of Glasgow International Airport
The Competition Commission is set to recommend the break-up of the airports group BAA this month. The company is likely to be forced into selling two of their seven UK airports, with Glasgow International and London Gatwick being the most likely to be sold.

Airlines such as Easyjet, Emirates, FlyBe, FlyGlobespan, Ryanair, ThomsonFly and Virgin Atlantic have all been pushing for a break-up of BAA. They complain that it operates a monopoly in Scotland, resulting in poor service and unfair charges at Glasgow International Airport.

The airlines also claim that, by squeezing airport capacity, BAA can drive up charges and has little incentive to invest in new infrastructure; this is evident at Glasgow International Airport were passenger numbers are exceeding terminal capacity.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #49
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Glasgow International Airport set for new owners and huge bost in flights
Reports say Spanish infrastructure giant Ferrovial is looking at plans to put the airport on the market this month in a bid to avoid a full-scale break-up of the company being imposed by UK watchdogs.

Any sale would effectively smash Ferrovial's near monopoly in Scotland: the company's subsidiary BAA, the former British Airports Authority, owns Glasgow International, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports and controls more than three-quarters of the Scottish market.

Airlines argue competition between Glasgow International and Edinburgh airports could bring down fares and have urged competition authorities to force BAA to sell one or the other.

Earlier this year, the Competition Commission warned the BAA monopoly in both Scotland and the south-east of England may be hurting passengers.

Yesterday, media reports suggested the commission was now sure BAA's control of seven British airports, including London's Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow, was harmful to the market.

Unnamed legal sources have been cited saying the next round of findings would be an important step towards an order for BAA to sell an airport in Scotland and an airport in England.

Rival airport operators are said to be have been consulted by the commission on what wider ownership would do for the industry.

The commission, however, is not expected to make its full findings public until later this month.

Charlie Gordon, a Glasgow Labour MSP, has been calling for BAA to be broken up in Scotland for years. He said: "I'd love to see some divestment in Scotland."

A spokesman for BAA said it would only make a statement after the commission made its announcement.

Budget airlines easyjet, FlyGlobespan, Ryanair and FlyBe have all stated that if charges at Glasgow International, currently one of the most expensive airports in the United Kingdom, were lowered they would be in a position to offer significantly more cheap flights from the airport to Europe.

Old August 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #50
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

£1bn price tag if Glasgow Airport is sold off

GLASGOW International Airport could have a price tag of more than £1billion if it is sold off.

BAA bosses were left furious today after the Competition Commission signalled the break up of its UK empire and recommended it lose control of Glasgow International and a London airport.

Airport bosses said it was "business as usual" at the airports today but made plain their intention to fight the ruling during the consultation period.

The Competition Commission also said Spanish-owned BAA should give up two of its three of its London airports - Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted.

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM   #51
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

The following companies are interested in buying Glasgow International Airport. BAA have said they want £1 billion GBP for Glasgow International, Scotland’s biggest airport.

Fraport
Infratil
Manchester Airport Group
Middle East sovereign fund
Peel Holdings

Old August 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM   #52
Magellan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
The following companies are interested in buying Glasgow International Airport. BAA have said they want £1 billion GBP for Glasgow International, Scotland’s biggest airport.

Fraport
Infratil
Manchester Airport Group
Middle East sovereign fund
Peel Holdings
I wonder who adjudicates if BAA receives offers significantly below it's asking price.
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM   #53
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
I wonder who adjudicates if BAA receives offers significantly below it's asking price.
I would guess maybe the CC have a say with that as its them who have decided BAA must be broken up, and rightly so, IMO.

Do you know if the CC will have a say in who buys the airport or will it be a case of highest bidder?

Old August 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #54
Magellan

Quote:
I would guess maybe the CC have a say with that as its them who have decided BAA must be broken up, and rightly so, IMO.

Do you know if the CC will have a say in who buys the airport or will it be a case of highest bidder?
I'm not sure how it would all work - perhasp it is the DoT and the CAA that would have to oversea any tender for sales process.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM   #55
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
I'm not sure how it would all work - perhasp it is the DoT and the CAA that would have to oversea any tender for sales process.
I would imagine all would have some say in what goes on.

For example, the CC couldn’t allow the Manchester Airport Group to buy both Glasgow International and London Gatwick. That would simply breakup BAA’s monopoly but give MAG a monopoly.

Only time will tell but I’m sure the airports that get sold, London Gatwick, Glasgow International and possibly even Stansted will have a much better future without BAA in charge.

Old August 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM   #56
Magellan

Quote:
I would imagine all would have some say in what goes on.

For example, the CC couldn’t allow the Manchester Airport Group to buy both Glasgow International and London Gatwick. That would simply breakup BAA’s monopoly but give MAG a monopoly.

Only time will tell but I’m sure the airports that get sold, London Gatwick, Glasgow International and possibly even Stansted will have a much better future without BAA in charge.

I'm not sure that the CC would have an issue with MAG taking both one of the Scottish pair and one of either Stanstead or Gatwick - they do not get a monopoly in either area and it would produce two operators of about the same size.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #57
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
I'm not sure that the CC would have an issue with MAG taking both one of the Scottish pair and one of either Stanstead or Gatwick - they do not get a monopoly in either area and it would produce two operators of about the same size.
Well that’s true actually. Still, I wonder if MAG have enough money to buy both Gatwick and Glasgow Intl?

Old August 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM   #58
Magellan

Quote:
Well that’s true actually. Still, I wonder if MAG have enough money to buy both Gatwick and Glasgow Intl?
MAG said today that they could buy either of the Scotish airports through their own means (based on MAGs estimates of the value of the two airports) but that they would most likely need to go into partnership to cover the cost of one of the London airports.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM   #59
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
MAG said today that they could buy either of the Scotish airports through their own means (based on MAGs estimates of the value of the two airports) but that they would most likely need to go into partnership to cover the cost of one of the London airports.
I suspect MAG’s valuation of the airports is much lower than what BAA will be looking for...

I also seen that MAG said they have no interest in buying Edinburgh if that airport becomes available. Although, in Scotland it’s pretty much guaranteed that Glasgow International will be the airport to be sold. BAA will keep Edinburgh.

The only question marks left as to what airport might, or might not, be sold is with Stansted. I think it’s a certainty Gatwick will be sold.

Old August 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM   #60
Magellan

Quote:
I suspect MAG’s valuation of the airports is much lower than what BAA will be looking for...

I also seen that MAG said they have no interest in buying Edinburgh if that airport becomes available. Although, in Scotland it’s pretty much guaranteed that Glasgow International will be the airport to be sold. BAA will keep Edinburgh.

The only question marks left as to what airport might, or might not, be sold is with Stansted. I think it’s a certainty Gatwick will be sold.
You may be right; we will have to wait until next year to find out.