daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1021
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 113

Jaguar needs BMW 3 Series rival
02 December 2012

Jaguar needs a BMW Series-rivalling small saloon sooner than a new SUV, company boss Adrian Hallmark has told What Car?.

Hallmark said: 'A crossover is not a priority from an economic point of view, the global saloon market is still bigger.'

The company's US dealers are thought to be keen on an entry-level Jaguar to boost sales and attract new customers to the brand. Such a car would also make the company far more attractive to executive-car buyers in Europe.

Like all future Jaguar saloons, the 3 Series rival is likely to be constructed from aluminium, and be available in both rear- and four-wheel-drive variants.

It is also likely to spawn a family of new models to ape BMW's line-up, including a small estate, coupe and cabriolet.

Sponsored Links

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1022
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 76

That's a 150000+ a year type car... probably means a new manufacturing facility... I hope Greater Birmingham pulls out all the stops to ensure it's based here and not China or India.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1023
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
That's a 150000+ a year type car... probably means a new manufacturing facility... I hope Greater Birmingham pulls out all the stops to ensure it's based here and not China or India.
That's what the huge investment in Castle Bromwich was about. Having said that by all accounts, Halewood is a one line factory (but they're very busy producing plenty of Evoques - BIG demand for those) which could benefit from investment too.

A factory MUST be built in China because of the increased demand over there, and to counteract the import duties that get imposed upon the UK built cars when they hit customs (100%!!!). Any production in China is in addition to that which gets built here for 'Western' and Russian markets, since China is pretty much a massive entity on it's own, and they might require specific requirements not economically feasible to build here. Audi for example produces the A6L ONLY for that market.

Things are looking cautiously optimistic. There is massive pent-up demand for JLR products, although many are demanding Land Rover at this stage. This smaller Jag is what will get the sales really pumping.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1024
sefton66

Likes (Received): 583

Jaguar have cancelled the cx-75 project due to economic climate and the price tag of the car...

They will continue developing the idea for the technology and for the museum, with the remaining cars being auctioned off

Some technology will be passed on to future jag models
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1025
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21 View Post
02 December 2012

Jaguar needs a BMW Series-rivalling small saloon sooner than a new SUV, company boss Adrian Hallmark has told What Car?.

Hallmark said: 'A crossover is not a priority from an economic point of view, the global saloon market is still bigger.'

The company's US dealers are thought to be keen on an entry-level Jaguar to boost sales and attract new customers to the brand. Such a car would also make the company far more attractive to executive-car buyers in Europe.

Like all future Jaguar saloons, the 3 Series rival is likely to be constructed from aluminium, and be available in both rear- and four-wheel-drive variants.

It is also likely to spawn a family of new models to ape BMW's line-up, including a small estate, coupe and cabriolet.
Yup, a 3 rival series in saloon/sports brake/coupe/soft top versions, with rwd, 4x4 and diesel options, are far more important than a turbine supercar. If its as good as the XF and XJ is going to be the best car ever.
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #1026
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Ok SMMT November data for our local producers: MG - 21, Jaguar - 1071, Land Rover - 3782, Aston Martin - 50. MG should see a slight improvement because of ther new '6 DTi line which show add some appeal to it's only model. MG3 being worked on by Longbridge engi's as we speak and will be launched next year to help begin to build a range. 5, 7, and crossover and coupe planned up to 2016. European expansion to begin in 2013.

Old December 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1027
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 60

The cull of the cx-75 is a shame but at least there'll be five of them around. That's proper exclusivity and will keep the value high. I suppose it fulfulled the breif of being a concept and got more column inches than their speedboat that was shown at the Sportbrake launch. http://www.autochunk.com/wp-content/...-Concept-6.jpg

I saw my first XFR-S driving down the A45 this week. It was red with a black grill and my god did it have presence and to my eyes the launch photos don't do it justice and I found this the other day which is good for latest JLR news http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/jaguar/

What's the MG coupe that you mention?

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; December 14th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1028
blahblahv2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
02 December 2012

Jaguar XE I believe... (This is what Autocar thinks it might look like)

Last edited by blahblahv2; December 14th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
blahblahv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1029
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Shame that, whilst I like the concept it's missing something. On older Jaguars they always had the shoulder line that kind of gave it a characterful aesthetic.. The Lyons Line I believe it was called. I'm all for Jaguar modernisation but I feel that leaving out this little signature detail just makes it another 'me-too' German bahn-machine..

I love Jag, I really do, and impressed with how far they've got.. but I feel like they're trying too hard to be like the Germans and should look at being more of an alternative. BMW hasn't given up the kidney bean grille and Hoffmeister kink (both BMW signature details) so why have they lost that line?. They could at least add a variant of it.

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1030
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post

What's the MG coupe that you mention?
It's on the back-burner until they can be sure they've got a credible model range available to sell. Eventually they'll be looking into creating a halo car but until everything's settled in and when the market returns to some sort of consistent growth.. the earliest, they say, that they may look into producing a small sports car would be around 2016 - An SUV will take greater priority though.

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1031
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Shame that, whilst I like the concept it's missing something. On older Jaguars they always had the shoulder line that kind of gave it a characterful aesthetic.. The Lyons Line I believe it was called. I'm all for Jaguar modernisation but I feel that leaving out this little signature detail just makes it another 'me-too' German bahn-machine..

I love Jag, I really do, and impressed with how far they've got.. but I feel like they're trying too hard to be like the Germans and should look at being more of an alternative. BMW hasn't given up the kidney bean grille and Hoffmeister kink (both BMW signature details) so why have they lost that line?. They could at least add a variant of it.
I was looking at an A4, 3 series and Passat in a car park a few weeks ago and I was amazed at how consistent their shape was and the only real variation was the badge, grill and lights. I guess this is largely regulation and cost driven. The key is value is quality IMO as people will always want something less mainstream than the usual German fodder. Now that SAAB is dead, the French and Alfa are producing boring stuff they'll do very well with a daring A4, 3 Series equivalent.

They can put me down for a 4 seater convertible if they produce one
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1032
blahblahv2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post

Sorry. Should've made the label on that image clearer. That's what Autocar think it might look like.
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1033
blahblahv2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
I was looking at an A4, 3 series and Passat in a car park a few weeks ago and I was amazed at how consistent their shape was and the only real variation was the badge, grill and lights. I guess this is largely regulation and cost driven. The key is value is quality IMO as people will always want something less mainstream than the usual German fodder. Now that SAAB is dead, the French and Alfa are producing boring stuff they'll do very well with a daring A4, 3 Series equivalent.

They can put me down for a 4 seater convertible if they produce one
It's also a little of the "iPhone Effect" in there too. They've become so common, so recognisable, so well known and safe that the makers are almost afraid to tamper with the formula for fear of alienating the regular customers. The result? Boredom for anyone who wants something a little different. The New A3 looks just like the old A3. Iphone 5 looks like the 4s. Etc. Etc.

If you want innovative, you have to go to someone else.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #1034
sefton66

I like it

Anyway...

Quote:
Record month for JLR in the UK

Last updated: 13th Dec 2012 at 08:21am

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has sold a record number of vehicles in its home market during November with increases in almost all of its major markets.

The automotive manufacturer sold 29,893 vehicles in the month, an increase of 14 per cent per cent compared with the November 2011, including a record 5,276 in the UK. During the first 11 months of the year, JLR sold 324,184 vehicles, up 32 per cent.

November sales increased in almost every major market with sales up in China (43 per cent), Asia Pacific (26 per cent), the UK (15 per cent) and Europe (12 per cent). US sales, however, were down 7 per cent, reflecting model year changeover effects and increased competitive conditions.

Since the start of the year, JLR has recorded sales increases in China (73 per cent), Asia Pacific (37 per cent), the UK (20 per cent), Europe (37 per cent) and the US (12 per cent).

"Both Jaguar and Land Rover brands continue to deliver strong sales globally," said Phil Popham, Jaguar Land Rover's director of group sales operations.

"The record-breaking performance in our home market, the UK, is great news. The Jaguar XF is starting to gain traction in the market place, while the continued success of the Range Rover Sport and Evoque is encouraging as we are launching our new Range Rover to customers."

In November, Land Rover sold 25,862 vehicles, up 17 per cent compared with the previous year, with increased sales of Range Rover Evoque (39 per cent), Range Rover Sport (3 per cent), Land Rover Discovery (2 per cent) and Freelander (53 per cent). Since the start of the year, Land Rover has sold more than 275,000 cars.

Jaguar sold 4,031 vehicles in the month, down by 5 per cent on 2011. In the first 11 months of the year, Jaguar sold 48,908 vehicles, a 7 per cent rise, reflecting the strong performance of the Jaguar XF.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...-uk/index.html
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1035
pirlo_21

the german boss of jag has done well...
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1036
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

What he said.. I've never known there to be a good British industrialist CEO, they've either been South African, Canadian or German....

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1037
pirlo_21

It's because they take a long term view or everything and this don't aim to make a quick buck and run off
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #1038
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Quote:
It's because they take a long term view or everything and this don't aim to make a quick buck and run off
I tell a lie.... The only good executive was George Turnbull (a massive exception). From director of Austin Morris (and made this division briefly profitable), to pushing Hyundai into the automotive spotlight and sending them into orbit. Look where they are now...

He was also instrumental in getting Toyota to create their factory in Burnaston.

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1039
neon18

Likes (Received): 350

The article below is related to aviation as well as automotive:

Quote:
Hitting 1,000mph with a boost from the Midlands
By Graeme Brown, Jan 4 2013

An artist's impression of the Bloodhound car

Midland engineering is playing a major part the push to set a new land speed record. Graeme Brown looks at the progress of the Bloodhound project.

Engineering firms in the West Midlands are helping to push new boundaries as ambitious plans to break the world land speed record come closer to fruition.

Dozens of firms from the region are among a group of companies behind Bloodhound SuperSonic Car project which aims to break the 1,000mph barrier for the first time.

The project has taken a major step forward this winter, after its rocket was successfully tested, and the intricate nature of the engineering process has seen expert companies from the region called in.
Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz2H7n6lMup
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1040
sefton66

Tags
cars, longbridge