daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #22841
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50742

20141114170441.jpg by lachibum, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #22842
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
No one besides you cares? Pretty sure they will have no problem filling all the rooms at 5-star prices. The view is pretty damn good and you have given no proof that it is a significant obstruction from interior views. Kix posted a picture where you barely see the supports. Very lightweight and airy.
Please don't try to argue. I'm not trying to argue with you. Let's keep it friendly, please.

The picture (s)he posted is from way back and apparently in a location where it is less obstructed. As I said, most views will be obstructed, not all. And looking straight out the window (as that photo shows) doesn't give a good exemplification of the issue (applying simple geometry).

I'm sure they'll have no problem filling the rooms as well. I'm just pointing out an issue that many views from the building will have because I think it's something the architect didn't think through (or just didn't care about).

I'm sure the terraces will be wonderful. They'll be a great place to hang out if and when people have the chance to take a break.

Please move on.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #22843
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Not most. Only a minimal portion of views are affected. Please provide a pic with a highly obstructed view if you're so adamant about it. Pretty sure the architects did think it through and concluded it wasn't a problem at all.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #22844
SMCYB

How about a picture of a happy puppy instead?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...nimals-001.jpg
Old November 20th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #22845
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; November 20th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:02 AM   #22846
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Because nobody else mentions it and it's important to remember that buildings are designed for the people inside them at least as much if not more than for those looking at them. This is a beautiful building to look at but the views from inside will mostly be obstructed. That's a really negative aspect of this building's design and one that aspiring architects should be mindful of. That's why I have mentioned it about three times in the past year.

This building is more about efficiency and scale. The people inside will be happy when they see the bills .

Views ...

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 04:52 AM   #22847
SMCYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
This building is more about efficiency and scale. The people inside will be happy when they see the bills .

With all due respect, no. Any glass box is about efficiency and scale. This one is quite the opposite (at least as far as its shape and use of space is concerned). It is very much a statement building and beautifully done in that regard.

Please don't think I don't like and appreciate this building. It's gorgeous to look at and I'm sure many of the views will be amazing. But many will also be partly-to-largely obstructed, and for a building of this stature that's a shame.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:40 AM   #22848
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
With all due respect, no. Any glass box is about efficiency and scale. This one is quite the opposite (at least as far as its shape and use of space is concerned). It is very much a statement building and beautifully done in that regard.

Please don't think I don't like and appreciate this building. It's gorgeous to look at and I'm sure many of the views will be amazing. But many will also be partly-to-largely obstructed, and for a building of this stature that's a shame.
Yes, this "box" .

http://greenbuildingelements.com/201...er-in-19-days/

Shanghai Tower?

http://du.gensler.com/vol6/shanghai-...tical-urbanism
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM   #22849
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
...But many will also be partly-to-largely obstructed, and for a building of this stature that's a shame.
I'm not sure that I understand your obsession with "views".

For every man with a window office in a skyscraper there are a hundred employees that never see the outside because they work in endless landscapes of "office cubicles" or long rows of call center desks. When they go to the restroom they don't see the outside and when (if at all) they go to lunch they don't see the outside.

If you think working in a skyscraper is sitting at a desk looking into the far distant horizon your reality is seriously distorted.... With all due respect.

I'd anytime choose to work in Shanghai Tower where I could hold informal meetings or eat my lunch in one of those amazing skygardens.

But the one percent would of course choose to focus on the big one-man-office with the grand view. And since they are the ones with the cash to fund skyscrapers that's how they all end up.

Shanghai Tower creates the opportunity for a socially more equal workplace.

I'll take that over your "views" any day.
Old November 21st, 2015, 03:55 PM   #22850
SMCYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post
I'm not sure that I understand your obsession with "views".

For every man with a window office in a skyscraper there are a hundred employees that never see the outside because they work in endless landscapes of "office cubicles" or long rows of call center desks. When they go to the restroom they don't see the outside and when (if at all) they go to lunch they don't see the outside.

If you think working in a skyscraper is sitting at a desk looking into the far distant horizon your reality is seriously distorted.... With all due respect.

I'd anytime choose to work in Shanghai Tower where I could hold informal meetings or eat my lunch in one of those amazing skygardens.

But the one percent would of course choose to focus on the big one-man-office with the grand view. And since they are the ones with the cash to fund skyscrapers that's how they all end up.

Shanghai Tower creates the opportunity for a socially more equal workplace.

I'll take that over your "views" any day.
I've worked in skyscrapers. I've had the window with the view and I've had the inner desk. When I had the inner desk there were common areas on every floor and they had views... which weren't obstructed. I used them often. It took me about 10 seconds to walk to them. I didn't have to walk to the lobby, wait for an elevator and go to another floor. And if you're attempting to imply that I'm the 1% and therefore a schmuck, guess again. Please don't toss around vague insults. This forum is for sharing and learning, not bullying.

With what you described, maybe you'd prefer this?

http://wiezowce.blox.pl/resource/33thomas7.jpg

Last edited by SMCYB; November 21st, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old November 21st, 2015, 04:03 PM   #22851
SMCYB

Somebody in Shanghai please post a new photo of this building so we can move on.

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:16 AM   #22852
DarkShadows1966
Construction Updater

Likes (Received): 460

Quote:
I've worked in skyscrapers. I've had the window with the view and I've had the inner desk. When I had the inner desk there were common areas on every floor and they had views... which weren't obstructed. I used them often. It took me about 10 seconds to walk to them. I didn't have to walk to the lobby, wait for an elevator and go to another floor. And if you're attempting to imply that I'm the 1% and therefore a schmuck, guess again. Please don't toss around vague insults. This forum is for sharing and learning, not bullying. With what you described, maybe you'd prefer this? http://wiezowce.blox.pl/resource/33thomas7.jpg
Can you tell me which building is this?

------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ME AMADEUS -Falco
Vote here: https://goo.gl/CbXQB7

DarkShadows1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:32 AM   #22853
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

^It's the AT&T Long Lines Building in Manhattan at 33 Thomas St.

particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #22854
pfnphoto

Likes (Received): 64

Two shots I made in April/May this year:

SMCYB, Zaz965, VK, MarshallKnight, Sasha 74 and 5 others liked this post
pfnphoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:31 PM   #22855
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
What about the hotel rooms at the top? Or did they make sure the views aren't obstructed in those pay-by-the-day views?
The outer cladding is much closer to the inner cladding at the upper levels. I would like to see if you can look almost straight down, as I like to try to do in any tall building, in any room of this tower. I would imagine it to be as difficult as looking up seems to be from the sky gardens picture posted above.

SMCYB, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #22856
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Untitled by MDC IMAGES, on Flickr

Yuyuan by Eriol 78, on Flickr

AlexDemens, VK, SMCYB, Kirgam, ArtZ and 2 others liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #22857
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
The outer cladding is much closer to the inner cladding at the upper levels. I would like to see if you can look almost straight down, as I like to try to do in any tall building, in any room of this tower. I would imagine it to be as difficult as looking up seems to be from the sky gardens picture posted above.
Yeah, I was going to point this out. The double-cladding has many purposes, as laid out in the Gensler literature, including climate control, external glare reduction, and creating gathering space -- but preserving great views doesn't seem to be one of them (views should be one of the selling points of the second tallest building in the world, and yet in that whole brochure never get mentioned). It's perfectly reasonable to deduce, given what we've seen of the structure as viewed from the atrium, that straight-on views from the office floors won't be unobstructed. But in my own experience, the way something like that photographs versus how it actually appears in person is a whole other story -- I imagine most people won't really notice the supports when their eyes are fixed on the huge drop and the skyline below.

In any case, the gaps between inner and outer skins do shrink significantly in the uppermost sections, so any view obstruction by the support structure will be reduced in the hotel floors and the observation deck. As for looking straight down, I believe all you would see is the floor of the sky lobby a few stories below you.

I wish I'd seen this discussion in progress a week ago, I took a recent trip to the Gensler office here in LA, and maybe could've asked somebody about it... Barring that, here's a cool model they have set up in the lobby (it's a good 8 feet tall, although I realize that's not very impressive compared to the finished building):

Untitled by Marshall Knight, on Flickr
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #22858
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
As for looking straight down, I believe all you would see is the floor of the sky lobby a few stories below you.
Looking from most offices, yes. But the observation deck at the top will have unobstructed views.
There are also gaps in the glass cladding where you can hold your camera/phone outside the building.
You can see it a bit here:

At some parts you can also walk on a glass floor and look all the way down.
Interesting also:

Quote:
Not only is the top observatory deck open to the air above, but there are three glass-floored dining rooms which are on roller systems allowing them to span out over the edge of the building to allow diners an amazing view down while they eat! Not for everyone, I’m sure, but quite an experience nonetheless! A lot of the top few floors is also given up to a unique wind-power generation system (the far right image above) which, when running, can power the restaurants below.

Interesting how accurate this info is.

Source of the info and pics:
http://www.architecturalrecord.com/a...shanghai-tower

http://www.paulreiffer.com/2015/07/t...-in-the-world/
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #22859
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Shanghai Clear Sky by Chris Redan, on Flickr

Shanghai - Misty Afternoon by Chris Redan, on Flickr

Shanghai Dusk by Chris Redan, on Flickr
Old November 25th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #22860
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 629

Has anyone an idea when would it be opened for general public please?

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall