daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM   #2541
deq

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
latest from jamyan

The design of Shanghai Tower is the future, but i don't like the urban environment in Lujiazui. Its to much built for cars and the space between the buildings is filled with parking space and other destructive things for a pleasant city.

Highcliff liked this post
deq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2542
Herzarsen
Herzarsen

Likes (Received): 64

I see your point. But I think once the whole area will be completed the parking lot you see will be a park. Whats there now is just temporary. At least that is what I see on the renderings of the area. There is a lot of construction in Lujiazui right now and a lot of it in infrastructure like new tunnels and underpasses, so it all looks messy, but I think once its all done it will be car as well as walk friendly. Remember also that an entrace to the subway will be directly from Shanghai Tower.

Last edited by Herzarsen; April 22nd, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Herzarsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2543
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6230

Those lots are temporary. Lujiazui land is at a premium

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM   #2544
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post

Same for the Shanghai Tower, they don't need that kind of office space in Shanghai right now. Shanghai Tower isn't even as tall as the Burji, yet it is in "another league"? It's one of the first in a line of supertall towers, but it's still a skyscraper. It's going to be as equally impressive as the Jin Mao and SWFC are, nothing more, nothing less.
Of course the office space is not needed right now, but in 2014 when the tower will be completed, it will be sorely needed and this tower would be able to command high rents by being such a prominent, beautiful, and "flagship" tower. There's something called economic projections used when deciding to built this tower; they know that they'll make a profit off the tower by planning for all the office space needed when China's (and Shanghai's) economy has grown 50% bigger from today's levels. Also, it's someone's opinion that ST is in another league, and you have absolutely no right to say that someone's subjective opinion on a tower's design is right or wrong.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM   #2545
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

agree, it is also a lot cheaper to build the tower now during the recession due to cheap raw materials providing the fact that shanghai would need such amount of office space in the future, also ST is to boost shanghai's real estate market and consumers confidence during this recession

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:08 AM   #2546
AK Anthony
Construction CA

Likes (Received): 2

ST is astonishing in overall size, and more importantly for my mind, its design is spectacular. Definitely my preference to the BD, however, as has been alluded to, without BD's design, the feasibility of other such supertalls as the ST would have been made a whole lot more complicated.

AK Anthony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:43 AM   #2547
visitant

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post

Same for the Shanghai Tower, they don't need that kind of office space in Shanghai right now. Shanghai Tower isn't even as tall as the Burji, yet it is in "another league"? It's one of the first in a line of supertall towers, but it's still a skyscraper. It's going to be as equally impressive as the Jin Mao and SWFC are, nothing more, nothing less.

This chart has been posted in SWFC thread before, obviously the problem is not no need for high standard office space, it is such low vacancy rate and rent rising will hurt economic development of Shanghai.

IMO burji Dubai sacrifices a lot in design for archiving its height, the height itself is great and leads to its visual dominance in surrounding areas. ST on the other hand is in different category, although it's tall enough to excite skyscraper fans, what make ST so great is the abundances design-wise. As such a supertall, its internal public and working space is really unique, and double curtain wall not only technically give answers for internal environmental control to be a eco-friendly building, but also build a great integrated visual image which balances transparency and non-transparency. It's almost certain with some proper lighing treatment ST will bring the city's night view some dynamic and futuristic visions that SWFC and Burji Dubai couldnt.

Anyway, I am not saying ST is greater, Burji Dubai is born for height, ST on the other way is a design-wise excitement combination of Foster's Commerzbank Tower and Calatrava's Turning Torso. They are just different.

visitant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:55 AM   #2548
visitant

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deq View Post
The design of Shanghai Tower is the future, but i don't like the urban environment in Lujiazui. Its to much built for cars and the space between the buildings is filled with parking space and other destructive things for a pleasant city.
Yeah, parts of the traffic across triangle area could be put underway, a continuous pedestrian friendly area could work as scale adjustment for these kind of skyscrapers park.

Last edited by visitant; April 23rd, 2009 at 05:00 AM.
visitant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2549
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
I have to say, if I was running the BD site I wouldn't be making comparisons with towers like this one. It goes to show you that the only thing these people care about is how big it is. I like the Burj, but it's extra 150m worth of height doesn't make up for the fact that the Shanghai Tower is in another league in design terms.

That other one is nice too. The cladding reminds me a bit of the Gherkin.
Both designs are great, but size is not the most important thing (I guess for somme guys it is (we all know why ) and Burj Dubai even at 819m, will still be second best in Dubai, after Burj al Arab.

But the fact that no one mentioned here, when you make the comparison, is that Burj is "so alone" , while Shanghai Tower will have 2 of the most iconic towers in the world next to it, Jin Mao and SWFC.

luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #2550
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

For those who think Shanghai have too much office space.

You may be correct, but to maintain it self as the business hub of the region, Shanghai must maintain affordable rent costs for businesses. And the only way to keep the prices low is to have an abundance of supply.

Otherwise business would move to cheaper locations out side of the city and the only ones that would maintain its locations in Shanghai will be the the relatively few very wealthy ones and also the ones that need to maintain a certain image. This will dramaticly hit the city in terms of business activity.

This is what's going on in Toronto at the moment. Where businesses are moving to the suburbs and the city proper it self is going bankrupt.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #2551
MKTJ

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Both designs are great, but size is not the most important thing (I guess for somme guys it is (we all know why ) and Burj Dubai even at 819m, will still be second best in Dubai, after Burj al Arab.

But the fact that no one mentioned here, when you make the comparison, is that Burj is "so alone" , while Shanghai Tower will have 2 of the most iconic towers in the world next to it, Jin Mao and SWFC.
Did you forget about one dubai tower (850 m) which is already consist of three connected towers ???
Let us just wait for the financial crises to finish .

anyway, I really consider Shanghai Tower some thing special

MKTJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #2552
juandie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Rashid Ahmad View Post
Nice comparison..............
Yeah... i thing the Shanghai Tower it's most glam than Burj Dubai
Earth Hour, 20:30!
Remerber is our world, our home!
U can changed the world just turning off the lights

juandie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #2553
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

from jam yan

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2554
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTJ View Post
Did you forget about one dubai tower (850 m) which is already consist of three connected towers ???
Let us just wait for the financial crises to finish .
One Dubai, (if it will be built) is far away from Burj Dubai (+1km), The 3 towers in SH are all next to each other

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2555
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

yea but he meant one dubai is 3 towers. It doesnt matter though, until we can be almost certain one dubai is going to be build, we wont compare it to other structures.

SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2556
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
yea but he meant one dubai is 3 towers. It doesnt matter though, until we can be almost certain one dubai is going to be build, we wont compare it to other structures.
yeah, 3 towers with the same design...

but the comparson was Burj Dubai vs Shanghai Tower, not One Dubai vs Shanghai Tower.

and about One Dubai, I don't belive it will be built... not at ~850m anyway... I guess they will use the original ~550m (cheaper) proposal, before they oversized to 850m.

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #2557
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 444

Great tower Something to keep us skyscraper enthusiasts busy during the global economic slow down. So many towers have been put on hold it's nice to see one that's actually being built.
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #2558
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

yeah, talk about the feeling depression!!

saeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #2559
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

can't wait till this starts rising.
Is there any chance that, after the Burj Dubai is completed, and removed from the supertall construction forum, that this one will be stickied at the top, since it is going to be the second tallest building after the Burj Dubai.
Also is there any kind of timetable showing when each of the 'sections' are supposed to be finished?

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya

MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2560
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

There is couple of towers higher than this one that may be under construction until then so i thinkg doing that makes no sense.

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall