daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #4001
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Great to read all the technical stuff and see another update! Those pics with cranes attached to the core in Ghangzou are great, I was also thinking about such a solution for ST, but this visualises it perfect for everyone. A bunch of cranes around it for the podium and we will get a very interesting and speedy construction process!

Highcliff liked this post
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #4002
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Cool to see the cranes are being installed or already installed which is a great progress !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4003
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By jerryang
image hosted on flickr

By ggyyyy
image hosted on flickr

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4004
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Likes (Received): 14727

Great photos, Nordschleife! These photos are Art!
Thanks!

Last edited by Bohdan Astro; April 17th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4005
BStyles

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan Astro View Post
Hi abc,

I was surprised, when in NYC at WTC One construction they were erected two large Manitowoc crawler cranes, because capacity of Favco 760's cranes was not enough to lifting of some massive steel columns. Why they did not erect here more powerful tower cranes?

I suppose at Shanghai Tower construction many heavy steel columns will be used. So, they need large capacity cranes. Very close to Shanghai Tower construction at construction of SWFC, which consists of massive steel columns, they used two M900D Favco's for an example.

I'm not sure about cranes at tower you shown in Guangzhou, but Guangzhou TV tower was definitely constructed using two Favco's 900D ( see http://www.khl.com/magazines/interna...586/No-title/# and photo http://www.wayn.com/waynphotos.html?...member=8918793 ). The above cranes at photos you shown look very like to ones on Guangzhou TV tower top.

But, as I said before we will see

====================================

And to guys from Shanghai... Please, make more photos. Cranes erecting is very interesting process. Thanks in advance

Is there some webcam?
Why would you place a heavy tower crane in a tower to erect 24 steel columns, and then what? When the columns became lighter, you would have all that strength for nothing? That's a waste of resources.

It's easier to use a crawler crane to do what a tower crane can't. Don't forget that these cranes are equipped with DCM's new jumping bases, and I highly doubt they would be able to "jump" with all that extra unneeded weight without damaging the tower. The crawler cranes were needed in the long run anyway, because they are also being used to construct various other parts of the WTC site.

They're thinking about the budget, not the strength, and if a crawler-helping-tower-crane combo is cheaper than a tower crane doing all the work, then that's how work is going to be done. It really doesn't make the work much faster by using a heavier crane. Though lighter, the tower cranes they are erecting are usually they are limited to what they can carry(a lattice boom can only stretch/lift so far before buckling) so the steel must be comming in smaller sections, such as 2-4 stories. If not, then all you have to do is double up the amount of tower cranes used when lifting a heavy object, thus doubling the lifting capacity.

BStyles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #4006
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Why would you place a heavy tower crane in a tower to erect 24 steel columns, and then what? When the columns became lighter, you would have all that strength for nothing? That's a waste of resources.
Maybe you are right...
But I think after heavy column installation more heavy climbing cranes might lift more massive steel elements prefabricated at ground, so 1WTC might rise faster. And I suppose this variant is more cheaper than erecting of two additional massive crawler cranes, because to steel elements prefabrication at ground they don't need massive cranes.

Also there is other variant to massive cranes using. They might lift from ground level many steel columns per one lift and then to place every column in corresponding point from top level. It looks more faster than column by column lifting from ground to top...

Quote:
It's easier to use a crawler crane to do what a tower crane can't. Don't forget that these cranes are equipped with DCM's new jumping bases, and I highly doubt they would be able to "jump" with all that extra unneeded weight without damaging the tower. The crawler cranes were needed in the long run anyway, because they are also being used to construct various other parts of the WTC site.
I have doubts that 1WTC is so fragile
Look at Guangzhou TV tower. Do you really think that 1WTC is more fragile than this tower?
Also, I suppose in the case of more heavy cranes using the jumping equipment must be different, like at Guangzhou TV construction.

Quote:
They're thinking about the budget, not the strength, and if a crawler-helping-tower-crane combo is cheaper than a tower crane doing all the work, then that's how work is going to be done. It really doesn't make the work much faster by using a heavier crane. Though lighter, the tower cranes they are erecting are usually they are limited to what they can carry(a lattice boom can only stretch/lift so far before buckling) so the steel must be comming in smaller sections, such as 2-4 stories. If not, then all you have to do is double up the amount of tower cranes used when lifting a heavy object, thus doubling the lifting capacity.
I still think that more cheaper variant is to use two heavier climbing cranes instead of two lighter ones plus two large crawler cranes. But it's just my speculations

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #4007
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Some renders of Shanghai Tower posted on the wall at the construction site. Photos by jiadream, take careful look on the LED, i presume it is alone the edge of the spiral, would have an awesome and unique effect if done properly.

The tower crane

Observation desk

Lobby

Cladding

Podium

The top (a generator or something?)

LED screen

And finishes off with the great SWFC

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #4008
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post

The top (a generator or something?)

Nope, it's a wind turbine

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4009
abc

Likes (Received): 313

Well from the above photo, I think Bohdan could be on to something.. big deck, so maybe a 900 or even 1280D. But will have to wait until someone snaps the front of the slew ring.

abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4010
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Rising crane looks very close to edge of the hole, somewhere like yellow circle???

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #4011
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Rising crane looks very close to edge of the hole, somewhere like yellow circle???
No way fox, just look at this picture:

image hosted on flickr

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #4012
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

I'm curious how the skyline will look like when this project finishes.
I love the Shanghai World Financial Center and I fear, that the Shanghai Tower could destroy it.
In my opinion the ST is 200 feet too high though it looks great viewed seperately. Sometimes the renders lie. We will see. I hope i'm wrong.

OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #4013
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Three will look great together, I bet .

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #4014
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

cant wait to see raising...

VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #4015
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

And I can't wait to see erected tower crane(s). Guys from Shanghai, please, make and post here photos of red Favco tower crane(s).

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #4016
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I couldn't wait too, so here we go:

by 小麦, from gaoloumi.com:

btw it seems it takes a lot of time to intall that huge crane. It looks way bigger than these used on wtc or bk.

PS. one of the forumers from gaoloumi.com just wrote that this crane is M1280D

Last edited by patrykus; April 19th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4017
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Thanks for photos, Patrykus (Dziekuje)!
So, it looks that at ST really heavy Favco will be erected!
I see Liebherr crawler crane is working with lowering into big hole some heavy steel elements. Even LR boom length was decreased to the capacity increasing...

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #4018
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

M1280D:
100t @ 25.0m
13.0t @ 80.0m

DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4019
kix111

@@ those photos are taken from jamyan, from his usual position. People at gaoloumi are reposting without any credit

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #4020
kix111

From a worker of shanghai tower..
Quote:
围墙上的广告牌马上要开灯了...
另外,新装的是塔吊,型号1280...貌似上海第一次用,4000多W...杯具的是大臂装不起来,已经召唤澳大利亚原产地专家了...
Seems like it is the M1280D you guys have been talking about, the reason why its taking such a long time is because they can not install the arm of the crane, they are calling help from the australian manufacture.

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall