daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM   #441
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post

We need to make a new thread for International Financial Center then if that is the case. I would love to see the render of that skyscraper.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=492434

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Highcliff liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM   #442
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

I didn't know the SOM design was chosen for the Shanghai Center? Or isn't it?

xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM   #443
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

OH! Snap!

Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:06 PM   #444
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
I didn't know the SOM design was chosen for the Shanghai Center? Or isn't it?
as far as i know it has not been chosen

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM   #445
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

^I saw a diagram with tallest buildings of Shanghai, it was on the diagram!

xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM   #446
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
OMFG whats up with shanghai these days? the new mayor have just gone and now everything is poping up~!

the new SOM plan for shanghai called 'pudong bridge' - connecting buildings with buildings

This looks awful! A horrifying urban concept! Try to clean up the streets, don't just try to move people off of them!
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
^

that SOM concept is absolute bs.

Concepts like that ruinied a lot of cities already in the 60`s, now they remove it again ...
This is a horrifyingly 1960s concept, which has been proven time and time again that it doesn't work, it kills cities. It is of course the natural progression of an area with some of the worst urban design I've seen; an area that so completely gives itself over to cars that indeed, the natural progression is to shove pedestrians into horrible tubes over the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post

With thousands of vehicles increasing every week, they definitely need it. The traffic in Pudong is already worse than ever. They definitely need skywalks to prevent more accidents. I saw a YouTube video before where vehicles in Pudong is cramming like ants and hundreds of people walking across the streets. They definitely need it or they may suffer in the future.
Maybe they have gotten to the point whereby they need it now, but this only serves to confirm my point above. It is a symptom of terrible urban planning. The whole of this area of Pudong seems to be one massive experiment in resurrecting the modernist concept, but I can guarantee that it will not work. Putting tubes over the roads for people to walk across will not give the area any of the vibrancy of other CBDs because people will still have to walk huge distances in a car choked environment to get from one building to another. I honestly don't understand it, is it stubbornness or what? Why do Chinese cities insist on repeating exactly the same mistakes that Western cities made 40-50 years ago? I don't get it! The problem is that the damage that this kind of urban planning does to Chinese cities now will be far more severe than was the case in Western cities in the 1960s because the scales at which they are being implimented are just so much bigger, it will be irreversable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Maybe they should just make the roads narrower. This isn't the 2nd century AD where the wider your roads are, the better your city. Making the roads as wide as they were was just a very childish display of poor planning. Like WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?! Not only is it terribly inconvenient and a pain in the ass for pedestrians, it makes Lujiazui look so much worse than it couldve been. Lujiazui has a huge bucktooth gap in the middle of skyscrapers. No other CBD has roads that wide, not because they can't build wide roads but because it is utterly retarded. Even adding bridges won't make buildings closer to each other. It lacks density and vibrancy and with roads so wide, it will stay that way.
I agree with you, but I fear that it's simply too late. The buildings and the roads are there already, you could reduce the size of the roads by a few lanes, which would result in wider pavements, but I don't think that would help much. The problem is not that the pavements are too narrow, indeed, many of the pavements in that area are also massive, it's that everything is simply too big, distances too large. The only way you could improve this is to move the buildings closer together, which is clearly impossible.
The scale is quite simply rediculous! Look at that picture above, and you can fit another row of skyscrapers up the middle of currently the main road! With roads down either side, there would still be space to spare!

Before you all flame me for this, please note that I have been to there myself and I've walked around extensively on foot.

For reference, compare with two of the world's top CBD's.

London - Canary Wharf:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cana...&t=h&z=17&om=1

New York - Downtown Manhattan:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...&t=k&z=17&om=1

Now compare with Pudong:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...&t=k&z=17&om=1

Now I know that it is not finished yet and there are big construction sites on that google map, but even if you imagine every plot is built on, compare the building density and compare the road widths with the others.

Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:53 PM   #447
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
^I saw a diagram with tallest buildings of Shanghai, it was on the diagram!
that doesn't say much . we have to wait until an official release, i really hope it will be the SOM design

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM   #448
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
I agree with you, but I fear that it's simply too late. The buildings and the roads are there already, you could reduce the size of the roads by a few lanes, which would result in wider pavements, but I don't think that would help much. The problem is not that the pavements are too narrow, indeed, many of the pavements in that area are also massive, it's that everything is simply too big, distances too large. The only way you could improve this is to move the buildings closer together, which is clearly impossible.
The scale is quite simply rediculous! Look at that picture above, and you can fit another row of skyscrapers up the middle of currently the main road! With roads down either side, there would still be space to spare!

Before you all flame me for this, please note that I have been to there myself and I've walked around extensively on foot.
I mean now seeing the google satellite image, the huge eyesore here is just century boulevard. The rest of Pudong is less dense than canary wharf or downtown manhattan, but its comparable to Shinjuku. I mean if they can just split Century boulevard in two and build mid and highrises down the middle, that can solve the problem can't it?

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:12 AM   #449
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i thought it was suspose to be 500+m ?

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #450
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

i don't like this idea of pudong bridge as well...

coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #451
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

dont worrry about the skybridge just now, i think its already u/c (<---- SKYBRIDGE)

century ave needed one of those anyway, way too many violent drivers in shanghai, the skybridge makes the life easier, especially in the summer (40+ `C)

i dont think the design will affect the whole pudong area anyway, you won't be able to see as a whole skyline..

Last edited by kix111; November 2nd, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM   #452
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Oh...!! already u/c really?? mean SOM's that true??

CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #453
kix111

ok, let me phrase myself again lol :p

the skybridge is already u/c i think

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #454
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
ok, let me phrase myself again lol :p

the skybridge is already u/c i think
OK!! No problem!! i'm waiting for u hear good news soon!!

CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #455
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I totally agree....
Your totally right man cities like NYC and London were already very densely developed before the age of the automobile and ridiculous highways. My opinion is this is why NYC boasts a really great and extensive mass transit system as well.

emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #456
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

The capacity of Shanghai's roads are obviously well above current requirements, its simply an example of a planned city. Where older cities will be experiencing a crunch in traffic, Shanghai will be getting along fine. I know this is an environmental nightmare, but it'll happen, shanghai's in its developing stage, soon the vehicle population will double or more, and all these monstrous roads will justify themselves. The horrible concepts of lost space, where cities are torn apart with transportation networks will come at an apropriate time, and this pedestrian bridge can solve the impending technical problems of lost space.

$0.02
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #457
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Maybe they have gotten to the point whereby they need it now, but this only serves to confirm my point above. It is a symptom of terrible urban planning. The whole of this area of Pudong seems to be one massive experiment in resurrecting the modernist concept, but I can guarantee that it will not work. Putting tubes over the roads for people to walk across will not give the area any of the vibrancy of other CBDs because people will still have to walk huge distances in a car choked environment to get from one building to another. I honestly don't understand it, is it stubbornness or what? Why do Chinese cities insist on repeating exactly the same mistakes that Western cities made 40-50 years ago? I don't get it! The problem is that the damage that this kind of urban planning does to Chinese cities now will be far more severe than was the case in Western cities in the 1960s because the scales at which they are being implimented are just so much bigger, it will be irreversable.
Oh, it's terrible. At street level, all of Lujiazui is an eyesore. Not in the sense of messiness, but in the sense of lifelessness. It is sad to watch Chinese cities adopt the worst possible layouts.

theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM   #458
kix111

lol, i will just use this thread to keep up the news/development of lujiazui, since no one visits the other thread

from www.sina.com.cn

the government have approved the eastwards extension of lujiazui CBD. Including the shipyard and everything shown in the circle below, with a total land area of 2million squared meters.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM   #459
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Good riddance. Those low-rise flats are hideous.

theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #460
kix111

i think so too.

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall