daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #4741
SimFox

Likes (Received): 440

Second that , Dubai hasn't really got any good design, vast majority of it's tower look like drawn by 8 year olds. I think it says something of the tastes of local "elite"
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4742
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post

Second that , Dubai hasn't really got any good design, vast majority of it's tower look like drawn by 8 year olds. I think it says something of the tastes of local "elite"
guy that's just your opinion and none asked for it
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4743
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

UUUUUH, somoeone hit a nerve, lol. It is his opinion, one I happen to agree with, but then, no one asked for that either.

Loving watching this one rise, the scale is simply massive, Keep those pictures coming.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4744
mibome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Those who are not interested in other people's opinions wouldn't be members of forums in the first place, would they? It is a sort of contradiction in itself. Of course should we be interested in other people's opinions. That is the spice of life. That is the point of all threads in this and all other forums. I might not share other people's opinion but that is a good thing.

I agree that Shanghai's beauty beats Dubai (but I would use more subtle words). I love the organic and metaphorical design of its mayor landmark buildings.

Besides: the threesome Jin Mao, SWFC, and Shanghai Tower is (going to be) the most exciting skyscraper ensemble worldwide.

Well is this now just my opinion or is it already a well established fact?
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #4745
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

well i haven't said i am not interested in your opinions, i said none has asked for another unnecessary 'I-hate-Dubai-comment'...

btw this may be three nice towers but they can't beat the tallest block in Dubai IMO.

Jclsoww liked this post
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #4746
albertobusy
MEGALOPOLIS

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
btw this may be three nice towers but they can't beat the tallest block in Dubai IMO.
maybe they can't beat it with height, but overall area in Shanghai is way nicer (with better skyline and planning) than sands and desert everywhere in Dubai (with dead palms, no public footpaths, and without any citylife, etc...). Dubai is soulless, but as I'm skyscraper fan, I need to admit it that buildings in Dubai are amazing, but only buildings.
albertobusy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4747
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertobusy View Post
maybe they can't beat it with height, but overall area in Shanghai is way nicer (with better skyline and planning) than sands and desert everywhere in Dubai (with dead palms, no public footpaths, and without any citylife, etc...). Dubai is soulless, but as I'm skyscraper fan, I need to admit it that buildings in Dubai are amazing, but only buildings.
no citylife
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #4748
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
no citylife
I think Shanghai has much more citylife then Dubai. Infrasture wise Shanghai is also much better.
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #4749
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagshipV View Post
I think Shanghai has much more citylife then Dubai. Infrasture wise Shanghai is also much better.
i am not comparing the cities, but he said that there was nothing in dubai except buildings.. what a big joke!!!
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4750
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

Well, I believe it a matter of population, when a city has over 20 million people, the so called "citylife" just become all too visible. Anyway, both cities are great.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #4751
FlagshipV
BANNED

Quote:
i am not comparing the cities, but he said that there was nothing in dubai except buildings.. what a big joke!!!
Well i agree that is a joke!! So many things to do in Dubai! Just hate the weather....
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4752
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

Sure, the "no citylife" comment is pretty silly by itself, but the one thing about his post that made me chuckle the most was that he opened it with "maybe they can't beat it with height" when comparing the three Shanghai towers with the Dubai Marina tallest block. Come on, Shanghai Tower is 632m tall, 116m taller than the Pentominium, if there's anything it can beat the tallest block with it's height, and he puts it as if height is the tallest block's trump... Overall just a very ignorant post.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #4753
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagshipV View Post
Well i agree that is a joke!! So many things to do in Dubai! Just hate the weather....
eh, Shanghai can be absolute hell for weather too. My cousin is over there right now and said that the humidity has been well over 80% for the past week, with temps touching on 90.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4754
FlagshipV
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
eh, Shanghai can be absolute hell for weather too. My cousin is over there right now and said that the humidity has been well over 80% for the past week, with temps touching on 90.
Well at least they have four seasons. Dubai is hot for the whole year........
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4755
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertobusy View Post
Have to agree. The Burj is nice but IMO it's the height that makes it. The design is good, it's elegant, but Shanghai Tower is in another league IMO. It's a truly stunning design.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #4756
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
you really don`t know what you`re talking about. Dubais min.temp.
is in the 90s during the summer months. when I was there in august it
was 105 F ( 40 C ) around midnight. during daytime the temp. reached
120 F ( 47 C ).
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4757
larven

Likes (Received): 2973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
Three beautifully designed supertall towers designed by some of the world's most renowned and accomplished skyscraper architects just beats Dubai's tallest block into dust. Sure there's a couple of nice towers in there but overall its an appalling concept, poorly executed by on the whole, mediocre architects.

The comparison to the tallest block in Dubai is an insult to this tower and its fine neighbours who between them, will form the greatest triumvirate of supertalls anywhere in the world once Shanghai Tower is complete.
larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #4758
albertobusy
MEGALOPOLIS

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
no citylife
in Dubai you'll see only that poor labours, that works like slaves... and that's a citylife?

I know that you can go for shopping, skiing or for some desert safari, but when you compare it to that what is in Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore it's like joke

Last edited by albertobusy; August 27th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
albertobusy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4759
Wuhy_9

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
Three beautifully designed supertall towers designed by some of the world's most renowned and accomplished skyscraper architects just beats Dubai's tallest block into dust. Sure there's a couple of nice towers in there but overall its an appalling concept, poorly executed by on the whole, mediocre architects.

The comparison to the tallest block in Dubai is an insult to this tower and its fine neighbours who between them, will form the greatest triumvirate of supertalls anywhere in the world once Shanghai Tower is complete.
Ridiculous, many buidings in Dubai marina are also designed by "world's most renowned and accomplished skyscraper architects". Some buildings in Dubai's tallest block are mediocre just because they can balance the skyline. If every buiding is so outstanding and striking, the skyline would be miserable.

Shanghai Tower and it's neighbours are really great, but you can't depreciate a masterpiece just to appreciate another masterpiece.
Wuhy_9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4760
kalifese

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
not to mention the air pollution there - and in china overall, and overall pollution - is disgusting and not fit for human habitation.
kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall