daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #4761
kalifese

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
The comparison to the tallest block in Dubai is an insult to this tower and its fine neighbours who between them, will form the greatest triumvirate of supertalls anywhere in the world once Shanghai Tower is complete.
shanghai has a lot awfully tacky buildings. some are very elegant like jin mao and shangai financial. but most are atrocious like that ugly tv tower with the big concrete balls at the bottom.

new york has the most architecturally tasteful, elegant and best designed skyline in the world. modern skyscrapers mix well with classic skyscrapers built 80 years ago. shangai may be building a lot of supertalls, but in terms of overall architectural quality and beauty of a city, new york city is in a league of its own.
kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4762
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
shanghai has a lot awfully tacky buildings. some are very elegant like jin mao and shangai financial. but most are atrocious like that ugly tv tower with the big concrete balls at the bottom.

new york has the most architecturally tasteful, elegant and best designed skyline in the world. modern skyscrapers mix well with classic skyscrapers built 80 years ago. shangai may be building a lot of supertalls, but in terms of overall architectural quality and beauty of a city, new york city is in a league of its own.
for me chicago`s skyscrapers are more beautiful than those of N.Y.C.
especially when you watch the skyline.
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4763
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

guys, back to the topic please. there are other 'world's best skyline' kinda threads for city vs. city comparison/insultation.

Last edited by fragel; August 27th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4764
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

And NY always had been in its own league anyways, i doubt Shanghai will take over NY one day.

Quote:
not to mention the air pollution there - and in china overall, and overall pollution - is disgusting and not fit for human habitation.
No actually the government purposely filled China with pollution so that when we enter war with another nation we will be able to survive their chemical bombs without masks because we are just so used to toxic chemicals.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #4765
MANUTD
MANUTD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post

Second that , Dubai hasn't really got any good design, vast majority of it's tower look like drawn by 8 year olds. I think it says something of the tastes of local "elite"
At least Burj Khalifa is built --what the hell is going on here !!!
MANUTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #4766
chrisrich

Likes (Received): 0

I like #9 from the rejected designs - what a beautiful structure that would have been. Oh well, they're all pretty nice.

Old August 28th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #4767
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:

Disagree. This alone eclipses anything quality wise in NYC (with the exception of Chrysler and some other ancient gems). Shanghai probably has the most diverse and highest quality modern and traditional architecture in the world plus there are some cracking proosals in the pipeline. NYC in in no way in a league of it's own. It's got it's fair share of dross, tackiness and souless boxes that look like they were put there just for the hell of it. The same could be said for Shanghai too, but imo neither city is better than the other, it's like comparing apples ad oranges.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #4768
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD View Post
At least Burj Khalifa is built --what the hell is going on here !!!

it's being built, like the burj khalifa was several years ago, that's what's going on.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #4769
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What a stupid and pointless discussion. Let's celebrate the best tower currently in the "making", shall we?
I can cheat you blind.

Jclsoww liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4770
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
Oh Man, I love you!!! This project is the best of all!!!
Those support columns are massive! I guess they would have to be to support the weight of this tower. Look forward to watching this one rise.
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4771
laojang

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
Disagree. This alone eclipses anything quality wise in NYC (with the exception of Chrysler and some other ancient gems). Shanghai probably has the most diverse and highest quality modern and traditional architecture in the world plus there are some cracking proosals in the pipeline. NYC in in no way in a league of it's own. It's got it's fair share of dross, tackiness and souless boxes that look like they were put there just for the hell of it. The same could be said for Shanghai too, but imo neither city is better than the other, it's like comparing apples ad oranges.
I second. Both are great cities with its own style, fashion, highlights, lowlights. At this moment, they also have comparable number of skyscrapers. Although, when residential towers are included, SH is getting a lot more.

Laojang
laojang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #4772
kalifese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
nah, nyc totally rules in architectural quality. nyc's legacy in architecture, history of skyscraper development and city urban planning is unmatched. you're in denial.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4773
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

cant wait to see it start rising
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4774
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
you really don`t know what you`re talking about. Dubais min.temp.
is in the 90s during the summer months. when I was there in august it
was 105 F ( 40 C ) around midnight. during daytime the temp. reached
120 F ( 47 C ).
I don't think you have a clue what YOU are talking about. Have you been outside when the humidity and temp are both triple digits? It happens in the summer in Shanghai. Not fun at all. I'd take 120s over 90s with humidity. I used to live in Vegas and it would get 120 or hotter regularly in some parts of the city during the summer, and I'd still prefer to live there in the summer than here in New England, where 80s and 90s happen all the time with 70%+ humidity. The stickyness simply sucks. I'd rather have the sweat evaporate the second it comes out than sit and be nasty.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4775
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
The comparison to the tallest block in Dubai is an insult to this tower and its fine neighbours who between them, will form the greatest triumvirate of supertalls anywhere in the world once Shanghai Tower is complete.
Tha't true... maybe the new WTC is close. (With Russia Tower, Federation Tower, Eurasia, City Hall and City Duma, Mercury City Tower, 16 IBC and City of Capitals, would have been the tallest block, but the construction is uncertain for somme buildings)
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #4776
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
nah, nyc totally rules in architectural quality. nyc's legacy in architecture, history of skyscraper development and city urban planning is unmatched. you're in denial.
New York is always the best,that's for sure. It's the origin place of skyscrapers. Empire State Building is so classic. I love ESB ever since I was a child.
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4777
kalifese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
I don't think you have a clue what YOU are talking about. Have you been outside when the humidity and temp are both triple digits? It happens in the summer in Shanghai. Not fun at all. I'd take 120s over 90s with humidity. I used to live in Vegas and it would get 120 or hotter regularly in some parts of the city during the summer, and I'd still prefer to live there in the summer than here in New England, where 80s and 90s happen all the time with 70%+ humidity. The stickyness simply sucks. I'd rather have the sweat evaporate the second it comes out than sit and be nasty.
no humidity is better. i live out here in california and the hot dry heat and intense sunlight is really unbearable to walk in. you get burned so easily and quickly. walking in 70%+ humidity might be sticky but it was doable since the moisture protects you from getting burned so badly. and not to mention humidity is better for your skin as it keeps it moisturized just like going into a steam room. west coast dry intense heat roasts your skin like a raisin. why do you think asians look so much younger than non-asians? humidity, baby!
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #4778
sluta_bitas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
in california and the hot dry heat and intense humidity, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
New York is always the best since I was a child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
I used to live in Vegas and I'd still prefer to live there in the summer than here in New England
Quote:
nah, nyc totally rules in urban planning
Spam?
Can somebody start a "humidity influence on american skyscraperlovers"-thread so that the conversation can continue somewhere else?
sluta_bitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4779
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

The greatest urban Ménage à trois ever is under-construction!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4780
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

thanks everyone for keeping this thread updated, special props to those providing pics. this is the best supertall U/C right now.

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall