daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #4781
Pfeuffer
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eurasia
Posts: 1,929
Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
I don't think you have a clue what YOU are talking about. Have you been outside when the humidity and temp are both triple digits? It happens in the summer in Shanghai. Not fun at all. I'd take 120s over 90s with humidity. I used to live in Vegas and it would get 120 or hotter regularly in some parts of the city during the summer, and I'd still prefer to live there in the summer than here in New England, where 80s and 90s happen all the time with 70%+ humidity. The stickyness simply sucks. I'd rather have the sweat evaporate the second it comes out than sit and be nasty.
obviously you`ve never been at the persian gulf at least not in summer.
it is very humid in dubai cause of the closeness to the ocean. you can
beleive my words cause I have been also in the u.s. ( New York,Florida,
California), Mexico,Brasil,Venezuela,Maroc,Tunesia,Egypt,Oman,China,
Thailand,Malaysia,Philippines,India...and in all these countries during its
hottest season. nothing compares to the heat of dubai !! except some
parts of northern india before the monsoon.
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #4782
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,663
Likes (Received): 2613

Obviously you aren't currently looking out of your window, because both the Persian Gulf heat and Shanghai's humid heat would beat the constant rainfall we have here in northwest Germany at the moment. So instead of derailing the thread with off-topic discussions, remember: When it comes to sucky weather, there's no place like home.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4783
mibome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
...instead of derailing the thread with off-topic discussions...
I disagree. There is no derailing. I just love to follow the lively discussion over the past couple of pages. It is so much better to read all those different opinions than having nothing going on in this thread. Especially when the weather is bad! ;-)
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #4784
kalifese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,081
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Obviously you aren't currently looking out of your window, because both the Persian Gulf heat and Shanghai's humid heat would beat the constant rainfall we have here in northwest Germany at the moment. So instead of derailing the thread with off-topic discussions, remember: When it comes to sucky weather, there's no place like home.
be grateful you are getting rainfall and a steady supply of water - both for the environment and for drinking water. here in southern california it always so dry and desert-like. everything is so brown and the air so smoggy from pollution. we have to import our water from out of state and it's killing our state budget. it hasnt rained since january. i am dying for it to rain!!!
kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #4785
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibome View Post
I disagree. There is no derailing. I just love to follow the lively discussion over the past couple of pages. It is so much better to read all those different opinions than having nothing going on in this thread. Especially when the weather is bad! ;-)
+1, as long as the discussion doesnt turn into a city vs. city mess, discussions generally makes the thread more lively.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #4786
Myster E
Registered User
 
Myster E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,286
Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapers144 View Post
Check out this model of the Shanghai Tower:


Looks like transparent glass, it's as if you can see the buildings interior and core/skeleton. Will the final product have a similar effect? Looking at this particular model reminds me of a bigger and curvier Guangzhou West Tower.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #4787
drew.magoo
Registered User
 
drew.magoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, Rolla
Posts: 468
Likes (Received): 17


Yes, I think the renders depict the tower as having slightly blue tinted glass so that you can see the core and the mech floors/atriums. At least, I hope that's what will happen. The glass on the West Tower that has been cleaned seems to have too much glare for you to be able to see the columns.
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #4788
YannSZ
Shenzhen !
 
YannSZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Shenzhen
Posts: 804
Likes (Received): 1159

I can't believe 13 months ago they started digging and now they're at ground level already!
YannSZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #4789
Nordschleife
Registered User
 
Nordschleife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai/New York
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 713

By jamyan
image hosted on flickr
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #4790
mibome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
Looks like transparent glass, it's as if you can see the buildings interior and core/skeleton. Will the final product have a similar effect? ...
So many models of other tower projects showed transparent skin but once the buildings were finished they never turned out as crystal as promised in the models/renders. I guess it is because glass always has a glare and reflection, especially when you look from the outside to the inside. The reflection probably is a desired feature to lower the energy consumption of the tower, especially in the case of Shanghai Tower. Shanghai Tower design follows a sustainable energy concept. So my guess is that the model looks way too transparent.

Last edited by mibome; August 30th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #4791
Nordschleife
Registered User
 
Nordschleife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai/New York
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 713


At least it will has the effect at night.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4792
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,663
Likes (Received): 2613

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
be grateful you are getting rainfall and a steady supply of water - both for the environment and for drinking water. here in southern california it always so dry and desert-like. everything is so brown and the air so smoggy from pollution. we have to import our water from out of state and it's killing our state budget. it hasnt rained since january. i am dying for it to rain!!!
I know, my girlfriend lives in SoCal, so I hear complaints about it every day.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4793
asif iqbal
Registered User
 
asif iqbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 890
Likes (Received): 65

people who compare China with Dubai need to actully think about what they are saying

Dubai doesnt even have a subway its got a crapy metro which isnt even all open yet and it has not infrastructure planning, just building for the sake of buildings to impress tourists much of which are no finanical use

in China everything has a purpose and is made to make $$$ and better the lives of the general population, thats the big difference

Dubai climbed and fall back down again after recession, it was just for small time glitz, glamour and show
asif iqbal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #4794
EnDleSsWaLtZ
Registered User
 
EnDleSsWaLtZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, La Grange IL
Posts: 457
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif iqbal View Post
people who compare China with Dubai need to actully think about what they are saying

Dubai doesnt even have a subway its got a crapy metro which isnt even all open yet and it has not infrastructure planning, just building for the sake of buildings to impress tourists much of which are no finanical use

in China everything has a purpose and is made to make $$$ and better the lives of the general population, thats the big difference

Dubai climbed and fall back down again after recession, it was just for small time glitz, glamour and show
Agreed, you just can't compare the two.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #4795
Nordschleife
Registered User
 
Nordschleife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai/New York
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 713

The whole site.
8/27 by JuJuV2
image hosted on flickr
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #4796
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,330
Likes (Received): 8232

how tall is the plan will it be by december? guess cant take long more to start rising
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4797
Turbosnail
Registered User
 
Turbosnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 266

Cracking view point there to see it rising from - perhaps could do with a slightly better camera
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4798
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
how tall is the plan will it be by december? guess cant take long more to start rising
The plan is to have the core at the 14th level by the end of the year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDleSsWaLtZ View Post
Agreed, you just can't compare the two.
Agreed on what? Yes the two cannot be compared for obvious reasons ... real reasons that would be unknown to you cause you obviously have no idea how these two places are, you just seams go with the flow of the bashwagon.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #4799
boschb
boschb
 
boschb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Langley(Vancouver) BC
Posts: 716
Likes (Received): 31

so is it at ground level now or how many levels left?
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4800
fragel
Registered User
 
fragel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fragel Town, Michigan
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The plan is to have the core at the 14th level by the end of the year.
I think it's 12th level.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu