daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #5141
DerFlo4711

Likes (Received): 6

I Hope that the livelyness of the City doesent loose its charm under the stealy skyscrapers. I mean I live in a Small town in comparison to Shanghai but Even we have Glass and Steal buildings, and thay Seem to suck the People and Culture right off the streets it seems. Just Hope this Wont happen here.
DerFlo4711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #5142
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

[IMG]http://i55.************/29qjz4m.jpg[/IMG]
The use of that huge rebars is due to sismic conditions?
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #5143
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

嘻嘻,终于开始成长啦。。。。。
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #5144
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I hate to say it but I was really disappointed with the feeling of the area. From far away it looks like the center of action but when you get there it seems really cold and quiet. The skyscrapers themselves are very impressive. I felt like I was in a big field with skyscrapers along the edges. Hopefully they'll fill this place in with some density, maybe some street vendors, shops, etc. It looks like in time they will make this possible and get more activity buzzing in there.
i agree completely, i've been there twice, and it's exactly how u described it - cold & quiet. I really hope after most of the construction is finished that it will naturally be more lively, vibrant, street carts, etc...

i think one main 'problem' is that the streets are too open. it lacks the connectedness and 'warmth'. if it was more compacted then i dont know, maybe it would feel different.

is there a seperate thread/discussion about this?
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #5145
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15903

Overplanned CBDs are like that. Open spaces, useless greenery and almost no city life

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Highcliff liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5146
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

The worst part is that the very large block the IFC twins are on used to contain a large restaurant area. It was the only part of Luijiazui with any atmosphere. They bulldozed the whole block a month after I moved to Shanghai and into a flat a couple of blocks away...
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #5147
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

sigh...
i remember theres pretty lively restaurants in the super brand mall, theres one with an incredibly large seafood buffet and it overlooks the bund - spectacular!
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5148
mibome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

What I don't understand: most of the beautiful towers have integrated shopping malls where you will only find luxury and designer shops where you can buy super duper expensive Dior shirts or whatever. When I see photos published in this forum, all these malls look all similar: a lot of marble, shiny metal, glass – but empty, boring, soulless, cold. Consequently: there are seldom people strolling around in these photos. I love to see the towers but I have no interest whatsoever to visit these malls. What I miss is the lively down-to-earth neighbourhood with its markets and affordable restaurants and shops, vibrating life and atmosphere – but to find this I have to go to the grown and “unspectacular” quarters.

Also: I cannot believe there is a big enough target group for this massive accumulation of luxury shops. Who needs so much stuff? Who can or is willing to afford crocodile handbags for RNB 25.000? Especially in China - I mean, who needs it if you can buy all these things in the Silk Market Street in Beijing, or in the “what was its name”-shop in Nanjing Road in Shanghai for a fraction of the price - and with a little haggling it come even cheaper – and I also think the shirts sold there were probably made in the same factory like the real shirts, probably during the night shift. I bought a watch with automatic movement and some complications (calendar, weekday, month, phase of moon - display) for 100 RNB in the Silk Market and the quality is good, I have been wearing it for three years now and never had to wind the watch, the time is precise to the second. The shirts I bought there were RNB 40 or 50 and the quality is very good. Why would I need a RNB 1600 shirt? They are probably made in the same factory anyway.

So - I love the tower and the engineering skills that I see in these towers - but not the malls coming with the towers.

A city needs its heritage, it needs the mix of old and new. The Old has to be preserved because it cannot be created just like the New. I read that Beijing regrets their sins of the past, i.e. the destruction of old grown quarters, especially the beautiful Hutong areas. Therefore, the remaining Hutong areas are now preserved. This is good.

Last edited by mibome; October 15th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5149
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15903

The problem with those ultra luxury malls is that they only need a few customers a day to be profitable. Am I wrong?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Highcliff liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #5150
gonard

Likes (Received): 8

It's all about status in China, I know a girl who makes 2000rmb a month who saved up for years to blow it all on a LV bag.
gonard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5151
mibome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

You are right: I know a girl from China, too, who went to Paris to buy a super duper luxury lady's purse for EUR 160. She could have bought a similar purse in her home for maybe RNB 100 or less.

In contrast, I just love to go to China to browse here

and here

BTW: I also know another Chinese lady who shops her designer fashion and “accessoire” in the silk market, too.

So it is always about personal attitude and therefore it is not possible to generalize behaviour.

But these boring luxury malls – I wonder if they will last, or what they will look like in 10 years time from now. I wonder if they will turn into an enjoyable environment? At the moment they look as sterile and cold as if you could perform a brain surgery there.
mibome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #5152
markhennery
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

china IS an emerging power
markhennery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5153
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibome View Post
But these boring luxury malls – I wonder if they will last, or what they will look like in 10 years time from now. I wonder if they will turn into an enjoyable environment? At the moment they look as sterile and cold as if you could perform a brain surgery there.
What do the malls built 10 years ago look like now, and what did they look like on opening 10 years ago?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #5154
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhennery View Post
china IS an emerging power
"emerging power"

lolwut?

Jclsoww liked this post
no_gods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #5155
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Pudong is the future of urban development in China. This is the face the government wants Chinese cities to have. Don't expect cheaper shops or street vendors in the next 200 years.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5156
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonard View Post
It's all about status in China, I know a girl who makes 2000rmb a month who saved up for years to blow it all on a LV bag.
Respect. But sadly most people will still think its a fake because of her social status.

Jclsoww liked this post
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #5157
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I found a use for the shopping malls. They have very nice toilets! Something that's sometimes quite hard to find.

Jclsoww liked this post
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5158
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3399

If you have problems with the mall in Pudong just visit Deiji Plaza in Nanjing. I have never seen a mall concentrated so much on labels.

I am back in Germany.
Here are my last two pictures from the Shanghai Tower.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5159
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Pudong is the future of urban development in China. This is the face the government wants Chinese cities to have. Don't expect cheaper shops or street vendors in the next 200 years.
What was the face of Shanghai in 1810?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5160
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

wow... its "come out" from the ground like a infant. cute
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall