daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5781
OEincorparated
Registered User
 
OEincorparated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,402
Likes (Received): 47

There would not be enough space of all the people living and working in the area to go outside and have a walk. If Shanghai had the capability of building all those towers I hope they will not place them all in one area like that. It makes it difficult for people to get to because transit will be over conjested to the point society would not be able to function properly. In Toronto they try to do the same with bunching all the office towers close together near to the rail station and subway, now they are finding that the financial center which they call it if having difficulty getting commuters to and from work. The city is not as efficient as before because of the direct result of over crowding towers.
OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5782
travelworld123
Registered User
 
travelworld123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 625
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
There would not be enough space of all the people living and working in the area to go outside and have a walk. If Shanghai had the capability of building all those towers I hope they will not place them all in one area like that. It makes it difficult for people to get to because transit will be over conjested to the point society would not be able to function properly. In Toronto they try to do the same with bunching all the office towers close together near to the rail station and subway, now they are finding that the financial center which they call it if having difficulty getting commuters to and from work. The city is not as efficient as before because of the direct result of over crowding towers.
hmmm, wat bout hong kong though, although hk is not as insane as that picture, it's still extremely compact
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #5783
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
There would not be enough space of all the people living and working in the area to go outside and have a walk. If Shanghai had the capability of building all those towers I hope they will not place them all in one area like that. It makes it difficult for people to get to because transit will be over conjested to the point society would not be able to function properly. In Toronto they try to do the same with bunching all the office towers close together near to the rail station and subway, now they are finding that the financial center which they call it if having difficulty getting commuters to and from work. The city is not as efficient as before because of the direct result of over crowding towers.
I think transport-wise Shanghai could totally manage it, just increase the subway frequency and everything solved
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5784
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!
 
Atmosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Amsterdam / Seoul
Posts: 2,856
Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
I think transport-wise Shanghai could totally manage it, just increase the subway frequency and everything solved
No way dude! That is way too optimistic. There are already metro's every 2 minutes now on some stations and they are all crowded. Looking back at that futuristic image there is no way that you could transport all those people by just riding more often. Plus, not everyone uses the metro. A lot of people prefer the car. You will need 26 lanes in cities that dense.

With buildings that high you will need small 'cities' in those towers. So people don't have to go outside for work or shopping. Another solution could be flying cars.
__________________
Build it
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #5785
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

I don't think flying cars can cut it, teleportation is the way to go. Alright enough OT.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #5786
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,962
Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
No way dude! That is way too optimistic. There are already metro's every 2 minutes now on some stations and they are all crowded. Looking back at that futuristic image there is no way that you could transport all those people by just riding more often. Plus, not everyone uses the metro. A lot of people prefer the car. You will need 26 lanes in cities that dense.

With buildings that high you will need small 'cities' in those towers. So people don't have to go outside for work or shopping. Another solution could be flying cars.
Another possibility is build several levels of metro, so as to have more stations in a given area. Underground and perhaps elevated over ground.

How many metro stations exist in Lujiazui, and how many are under construction?

Do not forget bridges between upper levels of towers either.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5787
OEincorparated
Registered User
 
OEincorparated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,402
Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelworld123 View Post
hmmm, wat bout hong kong though, although hk is not as insane as that picture, it's still extremely compact
And look what happen to Hong Kong, it pretty much completely stop growing because of stupid planning. The talk about Hong Kong here in Chinatown is that Hong Kong died, the new fanancial center for south China is either Guangzhou or Shenzhen now.
OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #5788
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
No way dude! That is way too optimistic. There are already metro's every 2 minutes now on some stations and they are all crowded. Looking back at that futuristic image there is no way that you could transport all those people by just riding more often. Plus, not everyone uses the metro. A lot of people prefer the car. You will need 26 lanes in cities that dense.

With buildings that high you will need small 'cities' in those towers. So people don't have to go outside for work or shopping. Another solution could be flying cars.
Nope i think the most popular line2 comes every 3 minutes in rush hour. Sometimes the train comes late / early causing two trains coming at almost the same time, for many times the train i sat on had to stop in the tunnel to wait because the train before us is running late. Also for many times i had to wait for more than 6 minutes because two trains are coming in the same time, causing huge rush and wait. I think they could manage something like 1.5 minute easy and better managing the timetable would reduce the problem.

Also this is very idealistic but i wish they could consider the transit people when planning their timetables, for example giving passengers enough time to get off one metro and walk to their next metro and then catch the train without having to wait for too long. I know they are already doing this for line3/line4 in Baoshan road station where everyone who gets off line4 rushes downstairs and then back up on the other side to catch line3.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #5789
Pablobegood
Registered User
 
Pablobegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paraná, Argentina
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 46

How come that artistic (and highly unreal to develope) impression of Shangai developed such a nonsense debate? It's only art, guys, not an urban project or whatsoever!
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #5790
boschb
boschb
 
boschb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Langley(Vancouver) BC
Posts: 716
Likes (Received): 31

nothing else to talk about i guess
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #5791
travelworld123
Registered User
 
travelworld123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 625
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
And look what happen to Hong Kong, it pretty much completely stop growing because of stupid planning. The talk about Hong Kong here in Chinatown is that Hong Kong died, the new fanancial center for south China is either Guangzhou or Shenzhen now.
really?

never heard this thought before. i thought hong kong has just 'died' because of land limitations as it's on islands and stuff. but I can't see how any other planning could provide more expansion, it looks like it's filled the islands to the brim.

but what i was saying is that even though the city is so dense with thousands of skyscrapers, it still works very well, very convieniant etc...

like if shanghai's pudong area was like HK Island, that would be amazing - both for the eye candy from the Bund and also for just general goodness, a cultural, lively puxi side, and then a financial, also lively, shopping etc... pudong side
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #5792
Nordschleife
Registered User
 
Nordschleife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai/New York
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 713

By 晒太阳啦艾尔文
image hosted on flickr
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #5793
Nordschleife
Registered User
 
Nordschleife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai/New York
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 713

By mori
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

more pics:
http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.p...ge%3D1&page=50
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5794
selvovic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 37
Likes (Received): 4

What is the large project being built across the street from Shanghai Tower?
selvovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5795
z0rg
fok julle naaiers
 
z0rg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Madrid
Posts: 24,723
Likes (Received): 15902

X3-2 Plot Project. Unknown official design, believe it or not. We expect 180-220m.
__________________
What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #5796
ziyoudi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SHANGHAI
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvovic View Post
What is the large project being built across the street from Shanghai Tower?
ziyoudi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5797
kix111
Registered User
 
kix111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shanghai / Auckland
Posts: 6,014
Likes (Received): 2929

Shanghai center's hole comparing to X32's hole..
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #5798
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

Well at least X3-2 is bigger than ST's core.

陆家嘴金融贸易区x3-2地块办公楼项目属世界顶级写字楼,由上海宝湾东方房地产开发有限公司开发。该大楼近邻金茂大厦,也是贝氏建筑在中国设计的第四个项目。大楼采用“变形设计”,底部是一正方形,然後逐渐上升,大厦旋转45度,在空中变为八边形。大楼建筑高度超^200米,地下3层,地上42层,总建筑面积近12万平方米。

hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #5799
Munwon
Registered User
 
Munwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Busan
Posts: 3,438
Likes (Received): 3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Well at least X3-2 is bigger than ST's core.

陆家嘴金融贸易区x3-2地块办公楼项目属世界顶级写字楼,由上海宝湾东方房地产开发有限公司开发。该大楼近邻金茂大厦,也是贝氏建筑在中国设计的第四个项目。大楼采用“变形设计”,底部是一正方形,然後逐渐上升,大厦旋转45度,在空中变为八边形。大楼建筑高度超^200米,地下3层,地上42层,总建筑面积近12万平方米。

Is that the final design? It looks stunning!!!
My Chinese is rusty but it says 45 stories and 200 meters...
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #5800
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

Is there a thread for this?
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu