daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #5841
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Yup looks like they are removing scaffoldings and some steel structures for floor are showing.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #5842
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Lujiazui is designed to be a dedicated CBD, therefore most people should arrive in subways or cars and enter the building directly. It's not unlike Pari's La Défense, you don't walk around there everyday unless you work there. On the other hand, the actual center of Shanghai near People's Square has lots of skyscrapers, and lot's of street level shops, similar to US downtowns.
TBH I don't much like the concept of 'dedicated CBD'. To me any successful employment and business centre should be part of a mixed-use centre that also caters for the common folk. Even as a place for work should have nice personal surroundings with a variety of eateries for lunchtime strolls which aid productivity.

People cannot go directly to the buildings if arriving by the Metro as there are only 2 stations catering for a vast area, so people spend around 10 minutes walking with their head down. Given the same walking distance you feel a lot more stress and boredom walking in an environment like Lujiazui than say the other side of the river, so you encourage more car-use, setting off a vicious circle.

As it stands there isn't a single vibrant mixed-use centre in the entire Pudong area due to its impersonal streetscape, and I think that is one major factor inhibiting Pudong's growth.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #5843
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 324

Does anyone have any details of a schedule of construction for this building?

Does anyone know when the are going to start constructing floorplates?
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #5844
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
TBH I don't much like the concept of 'dedicated CBD'. To me any successful employment and business centre should be part of a mixed-use centre that also caters for the common folk. Even as a place for work should have nice personal surroundings with a variety of eateries for lunchtime strolls which aid productivity.

People cannot go directly to the buildings if arriving by the Metro as there are only 2 stations catering for a vast area, so people spend around 10 minutes walking with their head down. Given the same walking distance you feel a lot more stress and boredom walking in an environment like Lujiazui than say the other side of the river, so you encourage more car-use, setting off a vicious circle.

As it stands there isn't a single vibrant mixed-use centre in the entire Pudong area due to its impersonal streetscape, and I think that is one major factor inhibiting Pudong's growth.
I agree with this. But when I was there it was very busy on the streets. It's not like any other avarage CBD. I think it is because this CBD is also a main tourist attraction which is quite rare.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #5845
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
Does anyone have any details of a schedule of construction for this building?

Does anyone know when the are going to start constructing floorplates?
Floorplates are scheduled to begin some time this month.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #5846
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
I agree with this. But when I was there it was very busy on the streets. It's not like any other avarage CBD. I think it is because this CBD is also a main tourist attraction which is quite rare.
Lujiazui is a CBD not a tourism hotspot, i would be much happier to see less tourists in Lujiazui because most of them are from the countries, bad manners, bad dressings, really lowers Lujiazui's social level IMO.

And i agree with NCT, i would love to see Lujiazui becoming like Huaihai road.
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #5847
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Lujiazui is a CBD not a tourism hotspot, i would be much happier to see less tourists in Lujiazui because most of them are from the countries, bad manners, bad dressings, really lowers Lujiazui's social level IMO.

Lol. During holiday seasons there are a lot of tourists on the elevated walkway outside the Pearl Tower taking picture, and it is actually true most of the tourists there are from the interior who haven't seen skyscrapers before.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #5848
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post

I'm sorry, but how is it NOT a tourist spot? I basically spent a 1000 euro's for a ticket to Shanghai (and other areas in china )to visit these towers! (and so did many others) The Pearl Tower, the Oceanic museum, the observation decks of Jin Mao And SWFC. They are all major tourist attractions.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #5849
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Well most people have no interest in skyscrapers. Only a very tiny minority shares our interest We are a big forum of weird freaks, but in the real world people have no interest and often dislike skyscrapers, let's face it.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #5850
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Well most people have no interest in skyscrapers. Only a very tiny minority shares our interest We are a big forums of weird freaks, but the real world has no interest and often dislikes skyscrapers, let's face it.
You'd be surprised. The Chinese are probably more interested in skyscrapers than Europeans, and skyscraper-filled new CBDs are definitely on the destination list of tourists, at least those travelling with groups.
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5851
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Quote:
Well most people have no interest in skyscrapers. Only a very tiny minority shares our interest We are a big forum of weird freaks, but in the real world people have no interest and often dislike skyscrapers, let's face it.
Hmm, I don't agree. Most people don't care about skyscraper CONSTRUCTION and details like HEIGHTS and architectural elements, I agree with you on that. But almost every person is impressed when seeing a big skyline. I mean, one of the main reasons that New York is so famous is because of it's skyscrapers. I can not think of any friends that are not impressed by seeing huge skyscrapers. They just aren't interested in the details but they still love seeing them.

Can you think of any (bus) travel agencies that does not stop on the Bund to let the tourists on board take a bunch of pictures of the impressive skyline.

Last edited by Atmosphere; January 11th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #5852
Trademarc

Likes (Received): 537

I totally agree.
For sure they'll not just go there to buy some two-wheeled rollerskates or other crappy gadgets
Trademarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #5853
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Well, I live in a skyscraperphobic country where anything taller than 10 floors = polluting inhuman horrors built by evil speculators. Maybe it's different in other places, glad to know

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #5854
Nordicon

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Well, I live in a skyscraperphobic country where anything taller than 10 floors = polluting inhuman horrors built by evil speculators. Maybe it's different in other places, glad to know

You described my country too...
Nordicon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #5855
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

And my hometown...
krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #5856
themovement

Likes (Received): 10

Mine too... Damn you Vancouver city planners!

I can't wait to visit Shanghai this years and see this beast!!
themovement no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #5857
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Quote:
Sounds familiar . But it gets better everyday. (Take a look at Rotterdam ). The point is..well, people like skyscrapers, but only if there are not within a few kilometers of their own home or if they are in another country.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #5858
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
I'm sorry, but how is it NOT a tourist spot? I basically spent a 1000 euro's for a ticket to Shanghai (and other areas in china )to visit these towers! (and so did many others) The Pearl Tower, the Oceanic museum, the observation decks of Jin Mao And SWFC. They are all major tourist attractions.
Ahaha i was referring to those domestic Chinese tour groups usually foreigners have a lot more manners than them.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #5859
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
I ahve to agree with you. Seeing all that wasted space in the heart of a city is upsetting.
this eara is not "the heart of shanghai",but finicial and business eara. the heart of shanghai is in puxi districts.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #5860
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Well most people have no interest in skyscrapers. Only a very tiny minority shares our interest .
that's true in china. i dare not talk about skyscraper with my friends,they will think i am so weird and naive.

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall