daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6441
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

OMG the tower looks like it had a quantum jump since the last update i think now the actual core of the tower is rising.....how high is the podium?
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6442
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Level 4
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6443
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Last steel columns attached to the core are "slimmer" than the previous ones...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #6444
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_the_harbor View Post
This building is being built in the Pudong district, a very new and notoriously pedestrian UNfriendly area. Most of the "real" city is in Puxi (i.e., west of the River), which is more dense than Manhattan in most areas and has incredible street life.
Once again, using Lujiazui as representative of the whole of Pudong is silly and misleading. Lujiazui, the 15 square kilometre primarily office district where this tower is being built, is pretty poor for street life. But there are plenty of extremely vibrant areas in the over 1000 square kilometre Pudong District.

Not only that, but I visited Lujiazui last weekend, and I have to say that now that most of the construction is complete there, the pedestrian experience is MUCH better than it was previously. The pedestrian overpass at the Century Avenue - Pudong Ring Road intersection near the Oriental Pearl and Super Brand Mall has improved both the traffic and pedestrian activity.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #6445
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

So I know that "since 1990, there have been plans for three supertall skyscrapers" to be built next to each other at this location, but how much of this was planned? Did Shanghai's city planners really know that this monster and the other two would be so perfect, both individually and as a group?

Did they really know that these buildings would represent the past, present and future when they planned this? Did they know? That each one would raise the bar above the last, in height, floors, size, and status?

Because if they really had all of this planned from the start... Then I applaud Shanghai's city planners. Because Jin Mao is amazing, but I was never into skyscrapers when it was made (I was still young). SWFC is amazing, but I only got into skyscrapers near it's topping out. And this thing. Shanghai Tower. Is so amazing. And I am proud and honored to be able to witness this thing grow. From an idea, to a proposal, to truly becoming a symbol of China. I can only wonder they can raise the bar after this one
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #6446
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
Hi Fury.

Good to know tht you have sharp observations on everything that happens around the tower and itself. At least it allows us to analyse their overall planning strategy which is rather interesting to note. You did mentioned abt the openings left around the circle, and these r actually temporary for them to excavate out the soil below and logistic purpose. Very common when topdown method is in used.

Another is about the circle itself. They decided to form a circle hole since basically round shape is the most stable and safe to form a deep foundation wall. They were actually building a cofferdam-like with slurry walls surrounding the circle.

And finally, topdown method is difficult to implement on the tower itself due to the difficulty to install large steel plates for the corewall and the supercolumns. Remember these plates were all welded from the bottom up?
Hi James.

Thanks man. I thought about the hole being circular for its stability too. I wasn't thinking of a top down proceedure for the lower levels under the main structure - rather a conventional method for the lower levels for both the podium and main structure. That would be the way most projects do their foundation.

The circle here most likely serves 2 purposes. First, the stability is there without the need for tiebacks which probably aren't an option in this soft soil geology. Tiebacks would be needed for the trapazoidal shaped hole the size of the entire lower levels. Second, they can work on building the tower up at the same time as working the lower levels outside the hole, down - saving time.

On another note, it looks like they have set up a climbing form at the top of the core. The columns at the top are just above the floor of level 15.

Ray.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #6447
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
So I know that "since 1990, there have been plans for three supertall skyscrapers" to be built next to each other at this location, but how much of this was planned? Did Shanghai's city planners really know that this monster and the other two would be so perfect, both individually and as a group?

Did they really know that these buildings would represent the past, present and future when they planned this? Did they know? That each one would raise the bar above the last, in height, floors, size, and status?

Because if they really had all of this planned from the start... Then I applaud Shanghai's city planners. Because Jin Mao is amazing, but I was never into skyscrapers when it was made (I was still young). SWFC is amazing, but I only got into skyscrapers near it's topping out. And this thing. Shanghai Tower. Is so amazing. And I am proud and honored to be able to witness this thing grow. From an idea, to a proposal, to truly becoming a symbol of China. I can only wonder they can raise the bar after this one
you can visit shanghai exhibition center to see shanghai future plan model. but chinese planning is not so stricktly, can be changed if the leader wants to change.
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #6448
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

moyan808

Highcliff liked this post
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #6449
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

So after Zone 4 we can expect a reduction in the core size! Great diagram!
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #6450
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Very cool diagram. Nice find.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #6451
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50742

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6452
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

I see the cross braces supporting the core on the top diagram. Should be a useful indicator of core progress.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6453
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

so the core of the tower tapers towards the top?
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #6454
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By mori

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #6455
VRS

Likes (Received): 11520

nice update
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #6456
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
On another note, it looks like they have set up a climbing form at the top of the core. The columns at the top are just above the floor of level 15.

Ray.
Fury, any idea how the corewall construction sequence ll be? im quite puzzled with the core formwork frame setting. it seems the core platform frames r obstructing the core plate or steel cages to slot in from above..
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #6457
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Here is a link to the PDF that the drawing Nord posted is from.

http://www.filedropper.com/shanghaitower12222010

The PDf is very informative and has been posted here previously. The drawing in it can be zoomed to the extreme.

Hi James.
I don't have any info on the sequence. I'm not sure what your saying but the top is open for the cranes to drop anything in.

Ray.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #6458
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Fury, pic below might help you to visualize. those green marking r the frames cross along the core line. just curious how they put steel cages or plate below.

James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #6459
mylifesucks

Likes (Received): 0

They should link the IFC mall, SWFC mall, Jin mao mall and shanghai tower mall together to create a bigger shopping area in Pudong. Currently there is only super brand mall that is big enough in pudong.
mylifesucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6460
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifesucks View Post
They should link the IFC mall, SWFC mall, Jin mao mall and shanghai tower mall together to create a bigger shopping area in Pudong. Currently there is only super brand mall that is big enough in pudong.
IFC mall just opened... and there are dozens of other malls in PUDONG.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall