daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7541
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

'cause this is an English speaking forum. as for updates, there are plenty, but we all depend on Nordschleife finding them on Chinese forums.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #7542
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

there are no updates on chinese forums as well.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #7543
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50742

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #7544
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
That's a bit out of date isn't it?

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #7545
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Quite.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7546
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Totally yes. 3 out the the 5 buildings are on-hold for a long time or canceled. (of the buildings outside china)
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #7547
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
It might be slightly off topic, but can I ask why this thread isn't as populated as, say the 1WTC thread or something?

I mean this thing is one of the tallest buildings under construction and the tallest that's above ground. It's set to break plenty of records and we could discuss the design for days.

Can someone tell me why the Shanghai Tower thread is sometimes ridiculously slow? Is it due to the lack of updates or something?
Yes. It was the same thing when WTC was still at it first floors. But of course it's also because there are way more Americans here than people from China.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7548
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

You need to understand, 1WTC is a lot more symbolic and significant than Shanghai Tower. We all know about 911, so 1WTC is amercia coming back to life, a very interesting story. You can't ignore this fact, now matter how you view it.

Shanghai Tower? Its just another magnificent tower built in China. No symbolic significance at all other than the fact that it will be the tallest building in China and of Shanghai.

That's why 1WTC is so much more popular.

The design and people's view towards it is another story
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #7549
kix111

If you look it that way, then Shanghai tower more than anything represents China's rise on the international stage. There is no supertall in China as "high-profile" as Shanghai Tower on its construction, obviously government was involved in promoting it and somehow wanted it be known to the rest of the world. It is symbolic as for being the highest in China's financial hub.

Anyways i think Shanghai tower is not as popular simply because there are not as many updates, and this is an international forum, a lot of foreign forumers may simply be not interested in this project. I dont see anything wrong, i barely check the 1WTC thread =/
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7550
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

So westerners are not watching this thread, and you as a Chinese don't watch American wtc1 thread. Are you guys interested in something different than architecture here? It is laughable for me that many people comes here to back up their countries not enjoy the architecture.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #7551
kix111

If it wasnt for Nordschleife "backing up his country" we will not be seeing 90% of the Shanghai updates here. Please appreciate other people's work.
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7552
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Please appreciate other people's work.
Who said I don't?
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #7553
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

The reason why I am here is not to back up my own country all right?
Since there are people interested in this project and want to see regular updates, it is always need someone to do the job and posts here.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #7554
kix111

Yup so it should be rather called contributing than "backing up their own countries". I thought that was just a bit rude.
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #7555
patrykus

I was not even referring to Nordschleife. Whats wrong with you guys?
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #7556
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

Oh, I am talking to kix.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #7557
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
If you look it that way, then Shanghai tower more than anything represents China's rise on the international stage. There is no supertall in China as "high-profile" as Shanghai Tower on its construction, obviously government was involved in promoting it and somehow wanted it be known to the rest of the world. It is symbolic as for being the highest in China's financial hub.

Anyways i think Shanghai tower is not as popular simply because there are not as many updates, and this is an international forum, a lot of foreign forumers may simply be not interested in this project. I dont see anything wrong, i barely check the 1WTC thread =/
I see your view, however I don't think that is a strong enough argument unfortunately. When Jin mao went up, it was the beginning of China, when SWFC went up, it represented China today, so ST is supposed to represent more rising of China?

I would have thought that China is rising and is continuing to rise. This project no matter how fabulous it is, is merely just completing the Shanghai CBD planning.

There are so many towers going up at the moment in China with ST not being the tallest so i don't see how it is 'that' significant. having said that, I do like this project though, in fact, I like it a lot more than the WTC development. BTW, imaging Shanghai did what new york did and built their tallest towers all at once? Ie JM, SWFC and ST at the same time hahahaha would be a much more interesting sight.

Correct me if I'm wrong however
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
So westerners are not watching this thread, and you as a Chinese don't watch American wtc1 thread. Are you guys interested in something different than architecture here? It is laughable for me that many people comes here to back up their countries not enjoy the architecture.
What do you mean by Westerners? I'm Australian yet watching this thread. In fact, i watch both threads and many more threads because I like their architectures. Don't like how you are using 'westerners'. I doubt most of the views are made by Chinese people. They merely post pictures for updates. The Chinese people have chinese forums to go to where they can write Chinese. Furthermore, they would prefer it to these English sites where the topic of 'China Vs West' is always brought up, just like you have done just now!!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #7558
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50742

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #7559
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
What do you mean by Westerners? I'm Australian yet watching this thread. In fact, i watch both threads and many more threads because I like their architectures. Don't like how you are using 'westerners'. I doubt most of the views are made by Chinese people. They merely post pictures for updates. The Chinese people have chinese forums to go to where they can write Chinese. Furthermore, they would prefer it to these English sites where the topic of 'China Vs West' is always brought up, just like you have done just now!!!
My point was beyond particular countries (or people) really. It is just irritating that majority of those from American threads thinks towers like shanghai tower, or burj khalifa are shit, and vice versa people from asians threads says oldskool american towers are bold and boring. Look at the last round of the skyscrapers world cup people were complaining why us bank tower lost with the burj. Really how blinded by the national pride they have had to be to make such statements. And this is problem with many nations. Just read comments to the tournament, and you will see.

Just be a bit open people, there are many beautiful towers all around the world
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7560
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
My point was beyond particular countries (or people) really. It is just irritating that majority of those from American threads thinks towers like shanghai tower, or burj khalifa are shit, and vice versa people from asians threads says oldskool american towers are bold and boring. Look at the last round of the skyscrapers world cup people were complaining why us bank tower lost with the burj. Really how blinded by the national pride they have had to be to make such statements. And this is problem with many nations. Just read comments to the tournament, and you will see.

Just be a bit open people, there are many beautiful towers all around the world
Good point Patrykus! I am not saying that the Americans have lost the plot (so to speak) but if they nevertheless did so, then they should urgently get over it and stop slinging mud at China and UAE, nations that are definitely leading the so called 'skyscraper race' in the 21st century.
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall