daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #7561
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post
Good point Patrykus! I am not saying that the Americans have lost the plot (so to speak) but if they nevertheless did so, then they should urgently get over it and stop slinging mud at China and UAE, nations that are definitely leading the so called 'skyscraper race' in the 21st century.
As I said the problem involves many countries. To make it fair I also don't get how Greenland ifc could won with Aon center.

but this is offtopic here so better stop at this point.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #7562
PeoplePower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

China will have the second and third tallest buildings in the world. The Shanghai Tower symbolizes the PRC in the modern 21st century and their path to become the world's best country. China will have the world's largest economy before 2016 that is just 5 years or less. About 1WTC it does not mean anything to me exept some grave for a bunch of people who got killed by the Mujahadeen. Can we get an update?
PeoplePower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #7563
VRS

Likes (Received): 11688

so i need more yuan now...wheres money changer...??
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #7564
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62991

Too bad Moresnet doesn't exist anymore, it would have easily been the best country around.

Let me search Flickr for 1 time only.

Ah, I see why there aren't any updates.

June 11.

image hosted on flickr

shanghai_5 by olivenoire, on Flickr

A few days ago when the weather was better.

June 8.

image hosted on flickr

China 2011: Shanghai: construction of China's tallest building by Alan Dennis, on Flickr
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #7565
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

nice cranes jump we are gonna have to wait a long time before the next one
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #7566
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

PeoplePower wrote:
Quote:
About 1WTC it does not mean anything to me exept some grave for a bunch of people who got killed by the Mujahadeen.
That's a rude and insensitive comment that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. This project is exciting and innovative and certainly provides us with a subject that we should be able to stick to. For myself, I'm very interested in seeing how the very unusual shape of this building will look, especially when they start putting on cladding.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #7567
PeoplePower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
PeoplePower wrote:
That's a rude and insensitive comment that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. This project is exciting and innovative and certainly provides us with a subject that we should be able to stick to. For myself, I'm very interested in seeing how the very unusual shape of this building will look, especially when they start putting on cladding.

Somehow someone mentioned 1WTC and I commented it. Shanghai Tower is interasting, so lets talk about it.
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #7568
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Sorry if I started a city vs city/country vs country thing guys. It was completely unintentional. I only referred to 1WTC because it is, in all likeliness, one of the fastest and most populated threads on this forum.

Personally, I am (Vietnamese) American, and I find Shanghai Tower to be much more interesting because of the design, height, location, and other reasons, although I still find 1WTC to be extremely interesting

And for those people out there that are "defending their country/city", isn't that a bit... Stupid? I thought we came here and gathered here and talked here not because of where on the land we live, but because we all love looking up at the sky
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #7569
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 103

My friend was in Shanghai not too long ago and it looks foggy as ever. Couldn't see anything past IFC from the other side of the Pudong River(forgive me for not knowing the district's name).
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #7570
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
To make it fair I also don't get how Greenland ifc could won with Aon center.
Two bad you already started it, having being to both towers I have to say that Greenland Zifeng is way better looking than Aon, but that's just my personal opinion.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7571
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
And for those people out there that are "defending their country/city", isn't that a bit... Stupid? I thought we came here and gathered here and talked here not because of where on the land we live, but because we all love looking up at the sky
Completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Two bad you already started it, having being to both towers I have to say that Greenland Zifeng is way better looking than Aon, but that's just my personal opinion.
Since you you are American, I'm sure you opinion is based solely on design, and therefore I respect it. Still greenland ifc is one of the ugliest designs for me. Only the cladding is really nice, but its not enough to make good design.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7572
Vanzetti
go away

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplePower View Post
China will have the second and third tallest buildings in the world. The Shanghai Tower symbolizes the PRC in the modern 21st century and their path to become the world's best country.
PRC has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to become the world's best country. And who the **** cares what a large building is supposed to symbolize? Anyone with enough money can build skyscrapers.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7573
TDN0111

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
It might be slightly off topic, but can I ask why this thread isn't as populated as, say the 1WTC thread or something?

I mean this thing is one of the tallest buildings under construction and the tallest that's above ground. It's set to break plenty of records and we could discuss the design for days.

Can someone tell me why the Shanghai Tower thread is sometimes ridiculously slow? Is it due to the lack of updates or something?
Well, because this is an English website. It's not surprising that 1WTC gets more attention than Shanghai Tower.
TDN0111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #7574
PeoplePower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzetti View Post
PRC has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to become the world's best country. And who the **** cares what a large building is supposed to symbolize? Anyone with enough money can build skyscrapers.
So what.
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #7575
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Enough talking! Photo by ThiagoPP, render by Moyan.

Photo by douglasgowen

image hosted on flickr
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #7576
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

wow, one of the best skylines
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #7577
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Now from that angle, we completely see shanghai tower, however, Ping An and boc is covering the other two towers. What if the camera was moved slightly to the right? where ST is just touching IFC, should we see more of Jin Mao? or would oriental pearl start getting in the way?
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #7578
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Shanghai's weather is always shitty during this time of the year. I don't think there will be much quality pictures until a few weeks later.

Here's how it looks like 3 days ago:
image hosted on flickr

China 2011: Shanghai: view from the top of Jinmao tower: Oriental Pearl TV Tower by Alan Dennis, on Flickr

For now, lets just find some renderings and drool over it.
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #7579
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Old June 12th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #7580
PeoplePower
BANNED

Shanghai skyline is awsome!

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall