daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #7901
Sandarapark

Likes (Received): 0

Ur just jealous that china has the money to build these kind of things as they are becoming the next economic super power, and be sure of it that they will become the next super power
Sandarapark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #7902
lianli

Likes (Received): 93

@Im Using A Computer
Your Chi-Town nearly ended up with a 600m landmark tower that was designed by a spanish architect and would have been developed by an Irish developer.
Face it, in our globalized world there are only good or bad building proposals, regardless of it's origin. If you don't think so I have to agree with fragel's post above me.
lianli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #7903
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Back to topic, im glad that i found this pic before Nord did

by kidoublier on http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.ph...4&pagenumber=1 july 10th

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #7904
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianli View Post
Face it, in our globalized world there are only good or bad building proposals, regardless of it's origin. If you don't think so I have to agree with fragel's post above me.
I agree with this a lot, but I think all of you guys are being really harsh on I'm Using A Computer. I don't think he was trying to offend anyone. But yes, our world is globalized. Racism is slowly dying. And it shows in our architecture.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #7905
azn_man12345

Double posting but eh.

Imagine that view when Shanghai Tower's complete! It'll be amazing!
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #7906
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
I agree with this a lot, but I think all of you guys are being really harsh on I'm Using A Computer. I don't think he was trying to offend anyone. But yes, our world is globalized. Racism is slowly dying. And it shows in our architecture.
he did offend the Chinese by using the term 'Chinamen' to label Chinese forumers on SSC. It's like calling the African Americans *****s or calling the Mexican people wetbacks, which should not be tolerated in this community.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #7907
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
In the BK thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
SOM really did a nice job with this tower. it stick out a lot but overall it is quite nice looking. makes me proud to be american.
Look how sour he is..
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #7908
azn_man12345

Okay never mind, my apologies guys. Yeah, that wasn't very nice.

And I didn't know that "Chinamen" was an offensive term. But yeah, sorry for defending the guy.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #7909
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

My grandad was chinese, so I had to put up with all of the ching chong chinaman stuff as a kid here in england. But he didn't offend me with his use of the word chinaman, if a man comes from china, he is a chinaman, what's wrong with that?
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #7910
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Looks like people have had enough with the Supertall world cup thread. Now they come and intrude into this thread will all these off topic discussions. Don't know why some people are offended, don't know why some people aren't. Its an irrelevant topic

It's a foreign firm, but chances are, there will be Chinese engineers and construction engineers involved. Wait until the documentary comes out for this tower, you will bound to see a lot of Chinese engineers, like the birds nest and Beijing terminal 3. A lot of the time, its Western by name, just look at Apple computers for example.

Also, with the Chinese, they generally like foreign firms because of brand loyalty. With architects, you have either got it or you don't.

But yes, back to the topic please. Its interesting to see how Chinese threads always gets subjected to this China vs West vs everyone else discussions

It won't be long before Tim Tenmile joins in. Onn had been here before, I'm using a computer is here now.............
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #7911
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
i have a question. being how significant this project seems to be to china and how symbolic it is supposed to be of chinas rise to becoming a major power, why did they choose a foreign architectural firm to create it rather than a chinese one? just curious.
Because the skyscraper is the last major US export... duh. Atleast thats what I've been told in school. Look at the world's tallest buildings and country of origin (design wise). Almost all of them were designed by US architectural firms.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7912
kix111

Rocket speed..
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7913
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
he did offend the Chinese by using the term 'Chinamen' to label Chinese forumers on SSC. It's like calling the African Americans *****s or calling the Mexican people wetbacks, which should not be tolerated in this community.
No, I have a very large group of friends that are from the mainland, and my family is half Chinese. Chinaman is not an insult at all, I promise you. Comparing it to ****** and ******* is far off. The terms gook and chink would be comparable, and like others have said, racism is slowly dying in today's world. Slurs are becoming so heavily integrated in our culture, from music, film, writing, comedy, etc, and alot of people that I know take pride in using such words.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7914
kix111

It was the context in which he used that made it sound offensive.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #7915
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
No, I have a very large group of friends that are from the mainland, and my family is half Chinese. Chinaman is not an insult at all, I promise you. Comparing it to ****** and ******* is far off. The terms gook and chink would be comparable, and like others have said, racism is slowly dying in today's world. Slurs are becoming so heavily integrated in our culture, from music, film, writing, comedy, etc, and alot of people that I know take pride in using such words.
don't wanna get this thread off-topic, so please check the PM I sent to you.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7916
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoMilk View Post
Main reason: Domestic architectural firms have low experience in designing towers of this height and quality. Until then, Chinese cities will have to rely on foreign (whether they are westerners, Japanese, w.e).
It's more like cooperation. Those foreign firms get well paid by their Chinese clients. It's about business. It's about money.
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #7917
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By 偶是小陶子

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7918
Nneznajka
Real Estate Broker

Likes (Received): 774

When the tower will be finished ?

PS : i like this design better !

it's reminds me of :

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7919
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

"PS : i like this design better ! "

Thank goodness you weren't the one making the decisions That is one ugly mother.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #7920
lianli

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nneznajka View Post
When the tower will be finished ?
"Shanghai Tower construction charges forward on schedule; we are on track to open by the end of 2014."

from Gensler's website
lianli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall