daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #821
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by decks67 View Post
when this building is complete it will be far from the tallest building in the worked. with the likes of burj dubai and the chicago spire and maybe the al burj
Why are people so obsessed with what is the biggest?

Shanghai Centre may not be the tallest in the world, but it could end up having a better design than the Burj Dubai. And lets face it, if it's design is any worse than Al Burj, it probably shouldn't be allowed to be built in the first place... Height is most definately not everything, when it comes to skyscrapers, most buildings in fact, design should always take priority over feet/meters. Luckily the Burj Dubai is both tall and good looking. The Al Burj on the other hand, is tall, but it also has a fugly design, and frankly Dubai is much better off with the BD than the AB as it's landmark.

Highcliff liked this post
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #822
Andrey992

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Why are people so obsessed with what is the biggest?

Shanghai Centre may not be the tallest in the world, but it could end up having a better design than the Burj Dubai. And lets face it, if it's design is any worse than Al Burj, it probably shouldn't be allowed to be built in the first place... Height is most definately not everything, when it comes to skyscrapers, most buildings in fact, design should always take priority over feet/meters. Luckily the Burj Dubai is both tall and good looking. The Al Burj on the other hand, is tall, but it also has a fugly design, and frankly Dubai is much better off with the BD than the AB as it's landmark.
The design thing is based on opinion, not in fact. Some people might see it as ugly other not. And in my opinion al burj has best design, and height is evrything to me.

Andrey992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #823
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey992 View Post
And in my opinion al burj has best design
Well, I don't think it is humanly possible for me to disagree more, but like you said, each to their own.

And I can't get caught up about the size. It's good when things are taller yes, but if they look like architectural abortions then those meters/feet really don't mean much.

Old February 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #824
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

I feel like 580m would be a very wise choice because that way, it would blend harmoniously with the other two supertalls. If they build a 800m monster, then it would just look awkward and intrusive, not to mention undermine the scale of the other buildings. Frankly, building the biggest and best is just a shallow competition for nouveau rich countries that feel like they must show off their newly acquired wealth. Its pointless because a couple of years later, some other country's gonna build something bigger.

I'll just come out and speak the honest truth and I'm aware I can get plenty of sh*t for this, but here goes: Frankly, Dubai is constructing all of these projects to flaunt the wealth it earned from its oil revenue. The sultanate is artificially trying to construct itself as the financial center of the Middle East. They say a quarter of the world's cranes are in Dubai, but it is a city with a smaller population than The Bronx! Dubai knows that its very small and is insecure about it. So it builds all of these gigantic projects well beyond its market demand for real estate to compensate for its size. Dubai's population can rise to about 3 million to five million tops while Shanghai's will grow to ten times that at least. Dubai might have more and taller towers, but at the end of the day, which city is widely regarded as a rising alpha world city?

To be fair though, Dubai's wealth and its efforts to decrease its reliance on oil revenues still needs to be acknowledged. Building a city full of supertalls in the middle of a desert in less than twenty years is still a very impressive feat regardless of what motivates it to do so. It is indeed extraordinarily wealthy and it would be nice to see it be the financial center of the Middle East. But people in Shanghai should not be disappointed because their tower is not as tall as Dubai's, nor should they seek to build taller buildings than Dubai for no other reason than competition. Instead such investment should be used to gentrify some traditional Shanghainese neighborhoods, something that Dubai can't one-up Shanghai at with oil money.

Shanghai Center's height was a very good choice.

drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #825
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Construction of High-Rise "Shanghai Center" To Start
www.chinaview.cn
2008-02-17 20:31:53

BEIJING, Feb. 17 -- Construction work on what will be the world's tallest building will start this year in Shanghai.

Media reports say the Shanghai Development and Reform Commission has ratified the project proposal for Shanghai Center which will be located in the city's Pudong district.

The 580-meter-tall edifice will have 118 stories. It will be 72 meters higher than the Taipei 101 Tower, currently the tallest building in Asia at 508 meters.

The Shanghai Center also will be 25 meters higher than the 555-meter-tall Burj Dubai skyscraper, which is still under construction.

Source
The reporter that wrote this article must be Kin to the reporter who wrote that Freedom Tower (WTC-1) was going to be the tallest building in the world!

Maybe the authors of articles like this should get out a little more! Oh wait, at least the author of this article lives in China me not be able to get out or read about the rest of the world. Not sure what the excuse of the New York reporter was.

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #826
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
And lets face it, if it's design is any worse than Al Burj, it probably shouldn't be allowed to be built in the first place...
You've seen the design for Al Burj? Quit holding out on us and show us! Oh wait...you haven't actually seen it and are just talking...

Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #827
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey992 View Post
The design thing is based on opinion, not in fact. Some people might see it as ugly other not. And in my opinion al burj has best design, and height is evrything to me.

I tend to agree with you on this Andrey. We first must see the final rendering of Al Burj. But height is everything also. This does not take away however from the beauty and height of Burj Dubai. Going over a kilometer or over 3500 ft in the air is nothing to call fugly about. Go BIG AL !

beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #828
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Source: Xinhua News Agency
Link: http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2008...nt_7617913.htm

Yes, according to Xinhua, the project was ratified by Shanghai Development and Reform Commission several days ago, and construction will begin this year.

Preparation work on the construction site, 16 Feb. 2008

10025 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #829
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
gee, just getting over the 500m SWFC and they start another even taller tower. bloody hell.

yet another to add to world diagrams

What a great news!!! Another supertall again! Question... is this the final design or rendering?

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #830
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2841

^nobody knows, probably not it's just a coincidence that it's a similar height to what we know, and on one article it said SOM are still in the running.

nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #831
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Looks like ~580m will be the final height. As some people already said, good choice. Looking forward for the final design.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #832
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
You've seen the design for Al Burj? Quit holding out on us and show us! Oh wait...you haven't actually seen it and are just talking...
There is going to be a new design for Al Burj? Thank goodness for that!!!

Old February 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #833
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2841

^I take it you never look in the al burj thread then, I try to avoid it as much as possible, it is one of the most crap filled threads of the lot. But if you'd been there once in the last three years you would know that they arent using the design which was originally for the palm jumeirah. In fact i think my entire contribution to that thread is telling people that we have no idea what the design will be like, normally once every 6months or so when people like you start spouting off about how ugly it is.

nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #834
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Posted by world01

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #835
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
^I take it you never look in the al burj thread then, I try to avoid it as much as possible, it is one of the most crap filled threads of the lot. But if you'd been there once in the last three years you would know that they arent using the design which was originally for the palm jumeirah. In fact i think my entire contribution to that thread is telling people that we have no idea what the design will be like, normally once every 6months or so when people like you start spouting off about how ugly it is.
I've been unable to follow the development because every time I've been in the thread over the past few years, because just like you said, there is nothing but crap and very little news.
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #836
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

So, we can confirm this is the final project?

Fortunately I saved the text.

Shanghai Center is classic SOM—seamlessly integrating architectural style with engineering solutions and programmatic coordination. The engineering strength of the Shanghai Center exemplifies the way structural design can naturally and intelligently inform the outside shape. There is a deep logic in morphing the tower from its solid commercial base into a more compact shape as it rises into its higher hotel floors.

Project Facts
Completion Year: Ongoing
Site Area: 30,000 m2
Project Area: 433,954 m2
Building Height: 580 m
Number of Stories: 118

Anybody has more images of this proposal? I'd love to see the last one with a higher resolution.

It is so strange that SOM removed this from its website. Maybe the final version will be different. Who knows.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #837
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

If it's really 580 meters, then the difference from SWFC is exaggerated in the pics above. They should be more similar in height than it appears.
Then, it occurs to me that the occupable floor space in this tower is a bit scanty.

Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #838
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

triangular floor plan, in my opinion, is not a great idea. Although, the building looks great.

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #839
xiaoluis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

WOW!!! i love it!!! go go shanghai go go!!
xiaoluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #840
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13220

this project is incredible, 580 m high... WoW!!!
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall