daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #8801
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Lujiazui is easy an two metro stops from People's Square, its also very close to "eight hundred half"
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #8802
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Lujiazui is easy an two metro stops from People's Square, its also very close to "eight hundred half"
Yeah but the prospect of risking your life on the line 2 is supposed to put an end of any idea of having fun. Also buses bypass the 'eight hundred half' in the diveunder, so that's not that easy either.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #8803
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By Q龍包

Highcliff liked this post
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #8804
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
thats how it should be... cbd doesn't stand for central living/entertainment district.
Yet it IS a living district.

While Shanghai Tower itself is a hotel - and so are the other two towers - there are homes in Lujiazui.

Like Tomson Riviera. The flats there are for sale, not rent.

If you live in Tomson Riviera for your home... where would you walk to go shopping? Where are the nearest playgrounds? And where will your child walk for the public primary school covering the area? For public secondary schools?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #8805
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

How big is the site footprint compared to Jin Mao and the SWFC?

I'd be interested to see an overhead diagram comparing all three.
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8806
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Yet it IS a living district.

While Shanghai Tower itself is a hotel - and so are the other two towers - there are homes in Lujiazui.

Like Tomson Riviera. The flats there are for sale, not rent.

If you live in Tomson Riviera for your home... where would you walk to go shopping? Where are the nearest playgrounds? And where will your child walk for the public primary school covering the area? For public secondary schools?
I don't think the insanely rich people living in Tomson Riviera (IIRC the most expensive flats in all of Shanghai, if not all of China) will be sending their kids to public school somehow.

As for shopping, Super Brand Mall (which has a Lotus supermarket in the basement) is literally only a block away. And for play there's Lujiazui Central Green, also just a block away.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #8807
vestige
Assets=Liabilities+Equity

Location: S„o Paulo | Rio de Janeiro | FloriŠnopolis | Metro Manila
Likes (Received): 2

Another Great addition to the next financial hub, Shanghai. Will this be built also in "pudong" (I don't know if I said it right)?

I love to visit this city next year, Congratulations PRC!

We will expect more Supertall on the future.

The planned city of Shaghai really is the Paris of the east.

When will this be finished?

In the end, you will not find the one you were looking for, but who was looking for you ...
vestige no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8808
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
How big is the site footprint compared to Jin Mao and the SWFC?

I'd be interested to see an overhead diagram comparing all three.
Here's a google map link to the location, hope it helps to gives an idea.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=shangh...China&t=k&z=17
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #8809
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
thats how it should be... cbd doesn't stand for central living/entertainment district.
Yes it does, check out Central, Hong Kong.
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #8810
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Here's a google map link to the location, hope it helps to gives an idea.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=shangh...China&t=k&z=17
Thanks.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #8811
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestige View Post
Another Great addition to the next financial hub, Shanghai. Will this be built also in "pudong" (I don't know if I said it right)?

I love to visit this city next year, Congratulations PRC!

We will expect more Supertall on the future.

The planned city of Shaghai really is the Paris of the east.

When will this be finished?
No where near Paris bud. I'd give Beijing that status long before even thinking about Shanghai. Shanghai's overall growth may be planned but it is extremely organic in nature.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #8812
vestige
Assets=Liabilities+Equity

Location: S„o Paulo | Rio de Janeiro | FloriŠnopolis | Metro Manila
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top

No where near Paris bud. I'd give Beijing that status long before even thinking about Shanghai. Shanghai's overall growth may be planned but it is extremely organic in nature.
Well Beijing is not that iconic of a skyline and it doesn't even have a waterway. I think Beijing is the political capital like DC, not the head of the dragon like what chairman Mao said, which is Shanghai, and honestly, the pearl tower is so iconic it's like the Eiffel tower that whenever you see it you instantly think of shanghai just as Eiffel symbolizes Paris. IMO yeap, just an IMO.

In the end, you will not find the one you were looking for, but who was looking for you ...
vestige no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #8813
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I hate to continue the fight about Lujiazui and Pudong, but i can't help myself. Pudong is a planning nightmare, absolutely pathetic for a world class city. Its planned right out of the athens charter, Le Corbuiser and Soviet engineers would be proud, Pu dong is verging on American walkability, wide streets, buildings that are raised off the grond, insular shopping malls/areas, useless greenspace. etc. Shameful for a city that wants to one day compete with HK, Tokyo, NY, and London.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #8814
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Over engineered, cost effective? Carbon footprint???
I don't think you would really want to know what the carbon footprint is to construct any modern skyscraper. Mining ore and making steel takes a lot of fossil fuel.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8815
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
I hate to continue the fight about Lujiazui and Pudong, but i can't help myself. Pudong is a planning nightmare, absolutely pathetic for a world class city. Its planned right out of the athens charter, Le Corbuiser and Soviet engineers would be proud, Pu dong is verging on American walkability, wide streets, buildings that are raised off the grond, insular shopping malls/areas, useless greenspace. etc. Shameful for a city that wants to one day compete with HK, Tokyo, NY, and London.
Hyperbole much?

Pudong is over 1000 square kilometres, most of which is nothing like Lujiazui, which is only about 15 square kilometres. A lot of Pudong is perfectly walkable and vibrant.

As far as Lujiazui goes, ever since they've completed the elevated walkways and the reconstruction of Century Avenue it's much more walkable than it used to be. And Lujiazui Central Green is a beautiful little park, not a 'useless greenspace'. It'll never be the same as Puxi, but so what? It's no worse to my mind than Canary Wharf in London.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8816
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestige View Post
Well Beijing is not that iconic of a skyline and it doesn't even have a waterway. I think Beijing is the political capital like DC, not the head of the dragon like what chairman Mao said, which is Shanghai...
Yes. Beijing is to Washington D.C. as Shanghai is to New York City.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8817
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By RAGE阮

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #8818
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50707

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quarter...n/photostream/

Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #8819
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Hyperbole much?

Pudong is over 1000 square kilometres, most of which is nothing like Lujiazui, which is only about 15 square kilometres. A lot of Pudong is perfectly walkable and vibrant.

As far as Lujiazui goes, ever since they've completed the elevated walkways and the reconstruction of Century Avenue it's much more walkable than it used to be. And Lujiazui Central Green is a beautiful little park, not a 'useless greenspace'. It'll never be the same as Puxi, but so what? It's no worse to my mind than Canary Wharf in London.
Well I have never been to Canary wharf. What I mean by wasted greenspace is not the park in Lujiazui, but the planters lining the streets. Trees lining the streets is beautiful, but wide roads with little patches of grass and shrubs is a complete waste of green space and kills the walkability of the area and ruins the curb appeal of shops on the street. Oh wait, nevermind,in Lujiazui there arent any shops on the street
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #8820
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Pu dong is verging on American walkability, wide streets, buildings that are raised off the grond, insular shopping malls/areas, useless greenspace. etc. Shameful for a city that wants to one day compete with HK, Tokyo, NY, and London.
Haha, American walkability, that's a great comparison. I agree with this, it needs to be more dense! It shouldn't be too car orientated with hard to cross massive wide roads, and of course you can't compare with HK, but it should still be more lively and walkable. But I still love Shanghai

Quote:
Well I have never been to Canary wharf. What I mean by wasted greenspace is not the park in Lujiazui, but the planters lining the streets. Trees lining the streets is beautiful, but wide roads with little patches of grass and shrubs is a complete waste of green space and kills the walkability of the area and ruins the curb appeal of shops on the street. Oh wait, nevermind,in Lujiazui there arent any shops on the street
I agree with this as well - bits of flower patches or neatly trimmed bushes lining the wide roads I'm not a fan of. It seems a bit 'artificial' and too much like other 'modern' cities around the globe. I guess this is a side-effect of globalisation but I think if Chinese cities developed in it's own style more thouroughly, it would surely be great considering how great Chinese inventions, culture etc... is.

And haha nice joke about Lujiazui's shops

Amazing tower still!!
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall