daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9361
Joze SA

Likes (Received): 8

This is a real Megatall...
Talking about the green areas, I think they are necessary... anyway, it is my opinion.
Joze SA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #9362
Polity

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by singoone View Post
The first page of the thread says it is 121 storey building but the title 128 according to drawings I suppose it will be 121. That 8 floors doesn´t matter anyway Just wanted to have this clear.
Perhaps 128 includes the basement/parking lot?
Polity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #9363
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Pretty nice video I came across lately made by gensler I don't think has been posted here yet. Genslers Chinese division team discuss the design.

What's very interesting in this vid is that one of the architects mention that they (gensler) have been asked by one of the clients about a possibility of designing 1000m tower in Qingdao. Is this by any chance THIS 777tower project? Or something completely different? The thread title on ssc says 700m+ but keep in mind this video is at least one year old (posted on yt on 19.10.2010) so 1000m height may not be accurate anymore. Z0rg do you know anything on that matter and what to share?

btw even if this is not true that clearly shows that sooner or later China will build something really tall since already there are investors willing to.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; December 14th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #9364
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Instead of waste of space green space. Maybe they can just make the roads narrower so people can cross on the street like in an actual city. Save the greenery and tunnels for Disney World. Also I would be nice if they put the restaurants and shops on the street in Lujiazui instead of the basement of a skyscraper.
The only road that was difficult to cross in Lujiazui was Century Avenue, and there are now TWO pedestrian bridges to cross over - one at SWFC, and the other at the traffic circle near Super Brand Mall and Oriental Pearl. Century Avenue is a major artery and it is completely understandable why it is so wide. Lujiazui is MUCH more walkable than it used to be. Plus there are several restaurants on the street at Super Brand Mall, and more in the little shopping area between Oriental Pearl and the Aquarium.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #9365
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

By han404

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #9366
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

Interesting way of building.
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #9367
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 386

Currently proposed megatalls in China:
Nanning Tianlong Fortune Center, 628 m, Pro as of 18th of January
Zhuhai Shizhimen CBD Tower, 680 m, Pro as of 2nd of March
Qingdao 777 Tower, 700+ m, Pro as of 21st of April
Sky City, 666 m, unspecified place in China, Pro as of 16th of July
Guangzhou Baietan Diamond Tower, ~650 m, Pro as of 3rd of September
Wuhan Hanzheng Jie, 666 m, Pro as of 5th of November
Wuhan Greenland Centre, 606 m, Prep as of 30th of November
Wuhan Erqi Area Project, 707 m, Pro as of 12th of December.

Which of these shall be the first to start Prep?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #9368
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50739

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; December 14th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #9369
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

Now that's really booking!
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #9370
GIGIGAGA

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Currently proposed megatalls in China:
Nanning Tianlong Fortune Center, 628 m, Pro as of 18th of January
Zhuhai Shizhimen CBD Tower, 680 m, Pro as of 2nd of March
Qingdao 777 Tower, 700+ m, Pro as of 21st of April
Sky City, 666 m, unspecified place in China, Pro as of 16th of July
Guangzhou Baietan Diamond Tower, ~650 m, Pro as of 3rd of September
Wuhan Hanzheng Jie, 666 m, Pro as of 5th of November
Wuhan Greenland Centre, 606 m, Prep as of 30th of November
Wuhan Erqi Area Project, 707 m, Pro as of 12th of December.

Which of these shall be the first to start Prep?
Wuhan greenland centre is now UC
GIGIGAGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #9371
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
It will be awesome if the put tall trees around the base like that.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #9372
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

All the development in this district has created the least urban part of the city. The 'streets' or highways that run around the base coupled with all that weird and meaningless open space creates the most depressing and desolate area at street level. Imagine trying to walk around this district?? What other urban city centre is impossible to walk around?
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #9373
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
What other urban city centre is impossible to walk around?
Have you tried walking in London? I can't stand the idea of narrow streets, narrow pavements and buildings in the immediate pedestrian vicinity where pedestrians don't get enough space and therefore spill out to the street. What a nightmare.

Those who like small cozy pedestrian spaces... there are certain areas for that (of those there are plenty in Shanghai anyway) but why try to position it as some kind of model suitable for every city and every district of any kind? The urban idea of tall buildings and large pedestrian spaces along with large roads with greenery in-between is a good and practical one. As long as there are enough pedestrian crossings (be they level or grade separated) that shouldn't cause a problem. This area in Shanghai is still very much a developing part of the city and therefore still a bit early to judge how it was implemented. I think it helps to try to understand that not everything which is in my backyard is 'better'. I think it's great that China is not repeating some urban disasters that happened in some cities in Europe or North America. Judging from the name near your 'location:' we both live in one.

Last edited by Pansori; December 15th, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #9374
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Have you tried walking in London? I can't stand the idea of narrow streets, narrow pavements and buildings in the immediate pedestrian vicinity where pedestrians don't get enough space and therefore spill out to the street. What a nightmare.

Those who like small cozy pedestrian spaces... there are certain areas for that (of those there are plenty in Shanghai anyway) but why try to position it as some kind of model suitable for every city and every district of any kind? The urban idea of tall buildings and large pedestrian spaces along with large roads with greenery in-between is a good and practical one. As long as there are enough pedestrian crossings (be they level or grade separated) that shouldn't cause a problem. This area in Shanghai is still very much a developing part of the city and therefore still a bit early to judge how it was implemented. I think it helps to try to understand that not everything which is in my backyard is 'better'. I think it's great that China is not repeating some urban disasters that happened in some cities in Europe or North America. Judging from the name near your 'location:' we both live in one.
I think the frustration comes from the area looking lively and vibrant from far away yet feels cold and dead up close. I've walked around this area and felt the same disappointment others have felt. You're right, the area is still developing so hopefully they can make the necessary changes to warm this place up a little bit. Then again this is a business district so maybe it's supposed to feel cold, dead and boring. It would be nice to be in the "center" of Shanghai and feel like you're in the center of it all.

Shanghai is a great city and I can't wait to go back and visit this tower.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #9375
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf
All the development in this district has created the least urban part of the city. The 'streets' or highways that run around the base coupled with all that weird and meaningless open space creates the most depressing and desolate area at street level. Imagine trying to walk around this district?? What other urban city centre is impossible to walk around?
It's not that impossible...its very walkable. The problem is that there's not much to do other than the cluster around the IFC and Pearl Tower...its more of a sightseeing destination (unless you work there that is)
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #9376
TDN0111

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
The way this area is built this way is because it leaves room for future developments, plus Shanghai doesn't have good soil foundation to stack up buildings side by side. This area is where people walk around in business suite; it's not an entertainment center.

Also, dealing with underground infrastructure is a pain in the neck for major unplanned cities around the world that have close knit buildings such as Tokyo, New York,....This area of Shanghai is planned perfectly this way so that it won't face these problems in the future. It's a luxury that other "old" developed cities don't have. There's a ton of areas in the city for entertainment where people walk shoulder to shoulder.

There's a reason it's planned this way. I'm sure they didn't plan to have a "depressing and desolated area".
TDN0111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #9377
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10123

Quote:
Originally Posted by singoone View Post
The first page of the thread says it is 121 storey building but the title 128 according to drawings I suppose it will be 121. That 8 floors doesn´t matter anyway Just wanted to have this clear.
maybe its like hong kongs IFC, they dont number floors with 4.
4,14,24,34,44,54,64,74.84,94,104,114?
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #9378
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I think the frustration comes from the area looking lively and vibrant from far away yet feels cold and dead up close. I've walked around this area and felt the same disappointment others have felt. You're right, the area is still developing so hopefully they can make the necessary changes to warm this place up a little bit. Then again this is a business district so maybe it's supposed to feel cold, dead and boring. It would be nice to be in the "center" of Shanghai and feel like you're in the center of it all.

Shanghai is a great city and I can't wait to go back and visit this tower.
But isn't the real 'center' of Shanghai on the other side of the river? Nanjing Road, Poeple's Square etc.?
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #9379
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDN0111 View Post
The way this area is built this way is because it leaves room for future developments, plus Shanghai doesn't have good soil foundation to stack up buildings side by side. This area is where people walk around in business suite; it's not an entertainment center.

Also, dealing with underground infrastructure is a pain in the neck for major unplanned cities around the world that have close knit buildings such as Tokyo, New York,....This area of Shanghai is planned perfectly this way so that it won't face these problems in the future. It's a luxury that other "old" developed cities don't have. There's a ton of areas in the city for entertainment where people walk shoulder to shoulder.

There's a reason it's planned this way. I'm sure they didn't plan to have a "depressing and desolated area".
Good point there. Looking at NYC Manhattan or Chicago I feel frustrated seeing skyscrapers or other buildings literally just few meters apart facing each other wall to wall. How good is that? What do they see through their windows? Wall of another building? And how is that good on the ground level? Feels like a cage... or prison.

I think some are too used to this and don't see it is a negative anymore no matter how many arguments you will throw at them. Entertainment and media industry has also contributed to this portraying such cities as 'ideals' of urban planning for the larger part of the 20th century. The reality is that they're not. Not in the 21st century anyway. Shanghai and many other Chinese cities are doing a fantastic job to create livable and sustainable urban environments as opposed to the pseudo contemporary postmodern ideas that we see in some (not all) European and North American cities. They are being ruined by such planning 'ideas' pushed forward by short-sighted and clueless political authorities, clueless civic communities and greedy developers who simply want to cash in from such misinformed and clueless political and social attitudes.

Urban planning should not be based on how many cozy coffee shops you will find in the street but how well the neighborhood is connected and accessible by public and/or private transport, what other core urban amenities it has, etc. This is the core of all things in any urban development. The 'coziness' (a rather subjective thing I must say) and 'feeling' (another highly personal measure) of the place is secondary. Especially since we haven't established what is a 'nice pedestrian place' or how 'lively' it should feel.

I say leave urban planning for those who actually know what they're doing. This seems to be very much the case in Shanghai and I would leave it at that.

Last edited by Pansori; December 15th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #9380
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10123

sorry to ask but current height 230m? 48thfl?

Tags
china, gensler, hypertall, lujiazui financial center, pudong, pudong new area, shanghai, shanghai center, supertall